X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Introduction (Kinda)

Old 11-06-2010, 11:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Introduction (Kinda)

Mods, if I'm posting in the wrong section please move/delete and let me know.

So, hopefully I will be an '02 X-Type 2.5 owner in a few days. It kinda fell into my lap actually, I was down at my shop and noticed my aunt's Jag sitting in the parking lot getting some work done to the transfer case (a common problem from what I have read on here). I find out that they bought a new Mercedes, and this one is for sale. I'm all giddy with excitement because I've loved this car ever since I took it to my Senior prom (it was much more enjoyable than my date haha). Although I can't let the excitement get ahead of me, it does need repaired. So I come to you guys for advice.

My step-dad isn't exactly a Jaguar mechanic, although he is a very good mechanic. I don't know exactly what his diagnosis was on the transfer case, but it was something inside of it that needed replaced. From what I've heard, the transfer case was bone dry when they cracked it open. Does this sound right? Would the entire transfer case need replaced if this was true?

Also, my aunt and uncle are having a hard time deciding what a good price is, so what should I pay for it? It is in pretty decent shape, minor blems here and there, and has 174,000 miles on the odo. I will be buying it as is, and doing the work myself. My uncle has already ordered this part, however, so I will also be buying that back from him and paying my step-dad for the labor from taking out the transfer case.

And to show you guys how serious I am about loving this car, I'm selling this to fund my purchase. This is the '93 Honda Prelude that I have been building the past few years. This is my baby. I have come to terms that this car is nothing but a project car and a money pit, and I need to get rid of it until I finish my degree.

Name:  PICT2258.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  119.2 KB

Old 11-07-2010, 01:39 PM

Well, a little update on this. My uncle calls today and says he wants 4k as-is. Does this sound like a good price?

Old 11-07-2010, 01:46 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Unfortunately, the Jag X-Type doesn't really hold it's value very well. Well, for you who's buying, I guess that is pretty fortunate. It's hard to give you an actual price without knowing more about the car (and what else it might need?), but an '02 2.5 with close to 200,000 on the clock wouldn't be worth much more than $4500 or so.

Yes, it's fairly common for a transfer case to be practically bone dry or at least the gear lube inside has turned to tar that won't drain. Whatever is wrong internally with it wouldn't be worth rebuilding....a replacement would probably work-out cheaper.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by TheSeeker
Unfortunately, the Jag X-Type doesn't really hold it's value very well. Well, for you who's buying, I guess that is pretty fortunate. It's hard to give you an actual price without knowing more about the car (and what else it might need?), but an '02 2.5 with close to 200,000 on the clock wouldn't be worth much more than $4500 or so.

Yes, it's fairly common for a transfer case to be practically bone dry or at least the gear lube inside has turned to tar that won't drain. Whatever is wrong internally with it wouldn't be worth rebuilding....a replacement would probably work-out cheaper.
He has already bought the part that they were rebuilding it with, it cost 400. How much would a new or rebuilt transfer case run?

Old 11-07-2010, 02:05 PM

What worries me about replacing just one part inside the TC is what other damage occurred while it was run dry?

Prices range from around $900-$1300

Old 11-07-2010, 02:08 PM

What worries me about replacing just one part inside the TC is what other damage occurred while it was run dry?

Prices range from around $900-$1300
Just talked to my step-dad (the mechanic). He said he is replacing the transfer case, not rebuilding it. My uncle said otherwise. I guess we will see what happens.

And I just checked the blue book value, much lower than his asking price. May have to talk him down a bit.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:16 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well ill throw in my buying experience. I have looked and still look at prices for x-types and I personally bought mine for 5200. Its an 02 3.0 Sport with 108000 miles. Its in very good shape and interior is like new. I have been seein them with more miles sometimes less attractive for like 6500-8000. Granted this one you want is only a 2.5 and crazy high miles...i wouldnt pay more than 4000. Im also with TheSeeker on puttin a good used TC in instead of replacing a part inside of a failed TC.

Either way, good luck

Old 11-08-2010, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

personally, you might love the car, you sound pretty young but IMHO there is no way on this earth I would buy an X Type with a blown T-Case, that was run dry on fluid with 175000 miles on it. No way ever. If you have the yens for an X-Type find one that the previous owner actually cared for the car, running a TC out of fluid is just plain ignorant but more to the point it shows you the amount of maintenance put into the car. NONE!!!
I went to my local Mr.Lube on the weekend, they checked the level of fluid and it was low normal, but really gunky, so I had them flush and change it, cost a whopping 95.00. I'm doing the tranny myself and I keep all my fluids to spec. Your Aunt did not, add to that the rediculous milage and I'd run away from that car even at 3500.00. You will have notyhing but issues guaranteed.!!!

Old 11-08-2010, 11:27 PM

Sidewalkman...I agree...mostly. All except for the fact of intent neglect. There are a lot of members here that had no fluid and got lucky. His Aunt im sure is old and does not work on the car and im sure was told it was "filled for life". So easy there buddy. LOL. But yes...i personally wouldnt buy it either, mainly cuz of miles. BUT, like me, bein shafted with a crap motor from some a-hole, have almost finished my engine swap with a perfect low milage engine for less than 1500 installed. I feel its a blessing in disguise.

Just sayin

Old 11-08-2010, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by sidewalkman
personally, you might love the car, you sound pretty young but IMHO there is no way on this earth I would buy an X Type with a blown T-Case, that was run dry on fluid with 175000 miles on it. No way ever. If you have the yens for an X-Type find one that the previous owner actually cared for the car, running a TC out of fluid is just plain ignorant but more to the point it shows you the amount of maintenance put into the car. NONE!!!
I went to my local Mr.Lube on the weekend, they checked the level of fluid and it was low normal, but really gunky, so I had them flush and change it, cost a whopping 95.00. I'm doing the tranny myself and I keep all my fluids to spec. Your Aunt did not, add to that the rediculous milage and I'd run away from that car even at 3500.00. You will have notyhing but issues guaranteed.!!!
She didn't even think to check the fluid level because she bought it from the dealer, and was told not to worry about it. As stated, she was told "filled for life". When she found out it was dry, she was pretty upset that she was lied to, which is why they bought a Mercedes instead of a new Jaguar. And the ridiculous milage is because she has owned it since '02, and has driven it daily. She lives almost an hour from work, but it is mostly interstate miles.

Originally Posted by I <3 X-Type
Sidewalkman...I agree...mostly. All except for the fact of intent neglect. There are a lot of members here that had no fluid and got lucky. His Aunt im sure is old and does not work on the car and im sure was told it was "filled for life". So easy there buddy. LOL. But yes...i personally wouldnt buy it either, mainly cuz of miles. BUT, like me, bein shafted with a crap motor from some a-hole, have almost finished my engine swap with a perfect low milage engine for less than 1500 installed. I feel its a blessing in disguise.

Just sayin
Where did you find an engine that cheap? My step-dad says the engines are junk, and I need to be prepared to put a new one in. I was thinking of a 3.0 swap if it came down to it, but would I be able to keep this manual transmission? BTW, I would do all of the work myself. Everything done to the Prelude in the first post was done by yours truly, including the engine swap and wire tuck

Name:  PICT2214.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  154.8 KB

Old 11-09-2010, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member

Miles are miles, what I don't get is the transfer case is not sealed for life, the transmission is. I go in for an oil change and they always check the TC and diffs. Even the dealership did, so that leads me to think it was serviced all that often or was 'serviced' by doing the oil change themselves.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by triumph_013
Well, a little update on this. My uncle calls today and says he wants 4k as-is. Does this sound like a good price?
Geez, that sound really high to me. Maybe if it was in EXCELLENT condition with full service history that was up to date and needed nothing. But he wants $4K for a car that needs a new transfer case...that, if I am understanding you correct, you have to also pay him $400 for the new part/transfer case AND you have to pay your stepdad to install it? To me, no way, no how. That seems pretty steep, especially for a family membre that is also a struggling college student. I bet your uncle couldn't trade it in with that bad tarnsfer case at the dealer.

You do realize also that if you have any visions of tuning the X as easily as you did the Honda you are sadly mistaken. Do a seacrh here and you'll see there are tons of threads on that subject.

I don't want to discourage you as I think they are great cars and have been very satisfied with mine. And your aunt must have done something right as she had 175,000 miles on it before needing major service. Just want to make sure you you get good value for your money and for a 2002 that sounds like a base model to begin with and with TC issues, that asking price is way high.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Alfadude
Geez, that sound really high to me. Maybe if it was in EXCELLENT condition with full service history that was up to date and needed nothing. But he wants $4K for a car that needs a new transfer case...that, if I am understanding you correct, you have to also pay him $400 for the new part/transfer case AND you have to pay your stepdad to install it? To me, no way, no how. That seems pretty steep, especially for a family membre that is also a struggling college student. I bet your uncle couldn't trade it in with that bad tarnsfer case at the dealer.

You do realize also that if you have any visions of tuning the X as easily as you did the Honda you are sadly mistaken. Do a seacrh here and you'll see there are tons of threads on that subject.

I don't want to discourage you as I think they are great cars and have been very satisfied with mine. And your aunt must have done something right as she had 175,000 miles on it before needing major service. Just want to make sure you you get good value for your money and for a 2002 that sounds like a base model to begin with and with TC issues, that asking price is way high.
I will be doing the install myself, so a total of 4400. And I do not want to modify this car much at all. This is part of the reason I am selling my Honda, I spend way too much money on it. My only plans for the X (if I get it) are wheels, exhaust, tint, and lowering springs. And I'm aware that the asking price is too high now, I looked up the blue book value and nada value, both of which are under 3k in running condition. They say they can't take any less than they are asking for it, probably because of the new Mercedes. I may try to find another, now that I know the resale value is pretty low I'm sure I can find one that I can afford.

BTW, nobody answered the engine swap question. Would I be able to swap in the 3.0 engine without changing or modifying anything but the ECU?

Old 11-09-2010, 07:04 PM

I'm no well versed enough on them to tell you how involved an engine swap would be.

But I wouldn't want to lower mine I can tell you that! I have enough clearance problems with it stock...especially when the snow starts falling.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:29 PM

Triumph....Yes you can swap the engine no problem. And i do not know why he says the engines are junk, if im correct it sounds like your aunt had no problem rackin up the miles!!! As far as a "SWAP" you can go my route and buy a Lincoln LS engine for 1/3 of the price of a Jag engine. I will be posting a write up of the swap soon as im almost done with mine.

To find an engine go to automotix.net and car-part.com they are both awsome places.

Here is a link to the thread that got me started.....https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=34228

Also look up my posts for more info.

Last edited by I <3 X-Type; 11-09-2010 at 10:42 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:44 PM

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=34228

This is the link, it wont let me post the actual one? It changes it. But this guy did it no problem and if you have any questions just ask or PM me.

I guess it works now, but anywho, that guy got a steal for his or was a buddy. Epect to pay around 600-1000 for a good engine.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:53 PM

I'm no well versed enough on them to tell you how involved an engine swap would be.

But I wouldn't want to lower mine I can tell you that! I have enough clearance problems with it stock...especially when the snow starts falling.
Take a good look at my Prelude haha. The header was less than 2" from the ground. I don't think a mild drop would hurt the Jag haha. And it doesn't really snow that bad here.

Originally Posted by I <3 X-Type
Triumph....Yes you can swap the engine no problem. And i do not know why he says the engines are junk, if im correct it sounds like your aunt had no problem rackin up the miles!!! As far as a "SWAP" you can go my route and buy a Lincoln LS engine for 1/3 of the price of a Jag engine. I will be posting a write up of the swap soon as im almost done with mine.

To find an engine go to automotix.net and car-part.com they are both awsome places.

Here is a link to the thread that got me started.....https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=34228

Also look up my posts for more info.
Thanks for the info man. I'll have to check that out.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member

I don't get it.

Why would you buy a car for 4400 with issues when for a grand or so more you can get one with much lower milage.

Guaranteed this guy is going to be on here in 6 months bitching about what a POS X-Types are.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by sidewalkman
I don't get it.

Why would you buy a car for 4400 with issues when for a grand or so more you can get one with much lower milage.

Guaranteed this guy is going to be on here in 6 months bitching about what a POS X-Types are.

LOL...i hear ya. You were a kid once too. And you know as well as I do (im 28) that once you have your sights on somethin, nothing, will stop you! Ive been down this road tooooooo many times and lately after I figured it out, i still get shafted. I was buyin brand new cars when i started at my job out of high school makin 65000 a year. Bought a brand new Ford Sport Trac, then brand new 2004 Lightning F-150, New Lincoln MKZ, 5 fox body mustangs, 95 mustang, 2001 mustang, 2 F-150, 3 Sport bikes.....you get the point. Half of them i bought cuz it was a "good deal" and ended put more money into it than it was worth. Then sellin it. LOL. I know....maybe it took me longer to learn. But i was makin more money than i knew what to do with. Went from puttin up fences all summer to a workin the line in a Steel Processing Plant, to bein promoted to a Chemist/Maintenance, 7days a week 56+ hours.

But TRIUMPH, dude, its all up to you and what you wanna do. I DID NOT want to put in a new engine. Although I must say after doin it, im kinda glad i did. But in no way would i have bought the car with pre existing problems, and you my friend are startin off on the wrong foot. If your in to cars and love wrenchin the hey, my hats off to ya. I simply being older and more priorities... Pre Police academy, 7 day work week, school, and evereyday chores of havin a house and an X type!! The list goes on brotha.

I could go on all day blabbin about this. LOL. I have MANY regrets but LOTS of knowledge. LOL

Old 11-10-2010, 12:56 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

All you can do sidewalkman is inform potential buyers the best you can. It sounds like the OP is at least competent to some regards to cars, and will hopefully make an intelligent decision, and try not to let emotions get the better of him.

Good luck triumph, but please be cautious. Almost nobody these days buys cars with that many miles put on it. A machine's parts have an intended lifespan, and is always determined by the cost vs longevity balance. Once a machine (and its many MANY smaller parts/systems get past that point, its by chance or an outlier on the statistical curve. As an example, my 16-yr old niece was given a honda accord with that mileage on it.

I'd offer to help your uncle put the x-fer case in. Get some education in w/o buying the car. Tell him politely 'thanks, but you'll look around' and I bet he'll come down in price over the next couple months quite a bit. I'd take it at $2k...minimal investment, and you can keep some $$ in the bank for the list of maintenance and replacement parts its bound to start having on a regular basis. If you're ok with that scenario, this is the right car for you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Introduction (Kinda)