X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ipod docking station questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 11:13 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Talking Ipod docking station questions

It's just a thought, I have an 02 x-type. It has the cassette unit and the cd changer in the trunk, with the bass unit in the back window. I now have an Ipod and was interested in putting a Ipod dock unit in the arm rest unit. I remember reading a thread or 2 somewhere in here, I did a search but didn't come up with any information I could use. Does anyone know what needs to be done to do this or give me a idea of where I can find the thread to get the information I need to do it. Like I said just an idea.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would defintiely like to know as well. ive been dying to hook up my iphone or ipod or something other than the 6 disc changer in the rear. ugh, i wish there was an easy way!

Old 01-28-2011, 03:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You got a few options:

1) Ipod Fm transmitter, cost you around $20-$100, quality somewhat FM.
2) Change your head unit, yet you lose all the steering control unless you install the aftermarket steering control module that cost around $60-80
3) Jaguar sells ACM, which is a cable that let us hook up your ipod to the stock head unit, it's to me, the way to go but will cost $230

http://www.jimrothe.com/jaguar/acm-bluetooth/acm.html

Tan

Old 01-28-2011, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by tzhyang
You got a few options:

2) Change your head unit, yet you lose all the steering control unless you install the aftermarket steering control module that cost around $60-80
3) Jaguar sells ACM, which is a cable that let us hook up your ipod to the stock head unit, it's to me, the way to go but will cost $230

Tan
Tan, where can you get the ACM for 230.00?

Old 01-28-2011, 05:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sidewalkman
Tan, where can you get the ACM for 230.00?
I know it cost a hundred more in the dealership but seen it once on ebay for $230. Found a thread that somebody got it for around that price, might want to ask them where they got it from.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...o+connectivity

Old 01-29-2011, 08:59 AM
Default Found a Manual on Jaguar ACM's

I hope this works, so that everyone can get a copy of this, I don't have a web page to give everyone a link to. I did some research on line and I thought this might help some people out with there wiring. The only thing is getting all the connections and the right ends for your setups. It's like 20 pages, i'm going to print them out and do some studying (ya right when I get the time) of what i print out and see if I can wire it up myself without burning the car down. Oh ya, from the looks of what I seen so far it looks like this manual might be for a UK car, right handed streeing wheel, I can't see where that would make a difference. Any comments are welcome, and ideas would be helpful, anyone trying it, good luck.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
The following users liked this post:
Mephiston2k (02-10-2011)
Old 01-29-2011, 12:29 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

That $230 price is probably long gone. Apparently, the ACM has gone through a couple of firmware and cabling revisions since it was first released. At least one (maybe two?) of those revisions also included new part numbers, and the old price disappeared with the current part number.

From what I can determine, the main components of the ACM (control module, head unit interface cables) were identical throughout these revisions. The firmware can be upgraded for free from the links that I mentioned in the previously cited web page, and the updated iPod/iPhone cables can be purchased separately, as described in Dension's support page for the Jaguar ACM (also linked to on the same page).

Bottom line is that you're not likely to ever find those prices again, but if you do, and you don't need the latest iPod/iPhone cable, this will be a great find for you. Good luck.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the Monster cassette adapter...only like 20 bucks at Target....works great....and when its wears out buy another...eventually I will get the Jag part but for now the cassette adapter works great and no static or loss of sig like with an fm trans

vai1953 (01-29-2011)
Old 01-29-2011, 07:13 PM

Blacksunshine1972, I had an old cd player that went into the cassette unit, never thought of that before. I went and looked at it, and it plugged into the CD player. I pulled the plug from the CD player and put it into the I-Pod, put it in the cassette player and it worked. The sound was pretty good, a little low level nosie, otherwise it was a good play. I think your right, I can live with it playing the music off the I-Pod threw the cassette player. Saving me 400 to 600 dollars, and spending 20 to 30, works for me.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:34 PM
Banned
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I use the tape adaptor to for my phone hands free also. I ended up getting the ACM when there were some dealer techs here flogging them. but for my phone, I still use the tape adaptor.

vai1953 (01-30-2011)
Old 01-30-2011, 10:40 PM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Metra makes an fm modulator that works by physically injecting the signal into the back of the radio via the antenna connection. One of these, couple antenna adapters, RCA to 3.5mm adapter, and an afternoon and you're in business with crystal clear sound and a clean install.

The following 2 users liked this post by totalimmortal363:
paulbrichter (01-31-2011), vai1953 (01-31-2011)
Old 01-31-2011, 02:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aux

Wanna know something crazy- my 6 disc cd changer plays through 89.1 on my fm radio. i bought my xtype used for next to nothing and i was under the assumption the cd changer never worked because i would press the cd changer button on the stock head unit and NOTHING would play. So now im starting to think the previous owner had something installed behind the stock unit in order for the 6disc to play on 89.1.???????

Old 01-31-2011, 02:42 PM

That's strange, does it play all six CD's? Can you change the CD's? Do the Cd's play all the time or only when you go on 89.1? This could also be cause by cross wires, or someone playing with the wire harness that didn't know what they were doing. Open up the back of the radio and see if there are any splices in the harness. You could also look behind the CD player and see if anything there looks strange. Since I started this thread I've heard a lot of good suggestions on how to set up a dock for the I-Pod. But your has to be the strangest problem I've heard. I would look for anything that looks like it was wired in.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by paulbrichter
Wanna know something crazy- my 6 disc cd changer plays through 89.1 on my fm radio. i bought my xtype used for next to nothing and i was under the assumption the cd changer never worked because i would press the cd changer button on the stock head unit and NOTHING would play. So now im starting to think the previous owner had something installed behind the stock unit in order for the 6disc to play on 89.1.???????
You used to be able to buy a stacker that had a built in FM modulator in it. You can tell it's not stock by pressing the CDC button on the head unit. That connects to the factory CD changer if it is factory. But likely the last owner put in the aftermarket unit.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:50 AM

Sidewalk, you always have these little tips, your a good man, Buddy.

sidewalkman (02-01-2011)
Old 02-01-2011, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by vai1953
Sidewalk, you always have these little tips, your a good man, Buddy.
Thanks, its kind of a been there tried that. I had the FM modulated stacker, it was a poor mans pre MP3 way to have tunes on a long trip, but like most FM modulation things it is only as good as your reception. I can't imagine why anyone would install one these days, ACM is a couple of hundred more and even with 6 disks, it's still only 28.2 MB. You buy a 1GB USB key, stuff it into the ACM and it's cheaper than 6 black 4.7 CDs.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:11 PM

0410NG, I looked at the set up that you suggested, it was a nice looking set up. I had already look before I got your message and I found the same thing on Amazon, except it doesn't have the charger cable for the IPod. It's a Scosche Universal Audio Input unit. What I liked with this one was that it had an on and off switch, but everything else was the same as the one you suggested, the price was 30 bucks. Which I figured if it works great if it doesn't I'm not out a lot of bucks....LOL

Old 02-07-2011, 05:50 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

I had used this company two times one for my 99xk8 and the other for my 2000s-type and the provided me with what was available and options. I would suggest dropping them a note to see what they have available. One system was FM modulator and the other was a direct connect to the radio but had to disconnect the CD. Both systems provided a i-pod power supply. http://www.discountcarstereo.com/default.aspx

Old 02-08-2011, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by tzhyang
You got a few options:

Tan
I've got the cassette adapter and it works well, but purchasing the ACM will definitely give you the best sound quality.

Quick Reply: Ipod docking station questions