X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jacking (again!) and stands.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2021, 10:28 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Jacking (again!) and stands.

I know the question has been asked to death here, but it's still not really clear to me.
I've added some photos of where I am now.
I'm jacking at the recommended jack point, and I have my jack stand at a point where it kind of fits, but I haven't let the jack down on it. Can anybody tell me where exactly the jack stand is supposed to go?
Where it is now, above this seems solid, and the "two big holes" in the photo also seem solid (not sure what they are, lift points?), but there's so many cautions about points that are not recommended it's hard to say for sure.
Anybody?
What about that "oval hole" on the frame, is that secure/recommended?

Old 03-13-2021, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 725 Likes on 648 Posts
Old 03-14-2021, 05:25 AM

Yes, that was one of the posts I read that wasn't clear to me!
Is the "subframe mounting plate" that Thermo talks about, that plate with the 2 large holes in it?
I have read a lot of these other posts, which is why I made this one with the photos, in the hopes of somebody maybe pointing out definite safe points in the images to a total noob.

I know I'm probably just being over cautious, but it's a bit scary when a lot of points are said to be unsafe, and the only thing in the manual is the jacking points, with no points mentioned for jack stands.
I only got my first set of jack stands yesterday, so I've never used them before either; before I'd just jack my old cars up and stuck a few bricks under them anywhere at all as a backup.
Thought it was time to get a bit safer.. :-)

Old 03-14-2021, 01:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,122 Likes on 2,067 Posts

I have marked up your photo. The place where you have the jack actually isn't the factory jacking point, it's where there is a vertical seam, and the seam has been folded over from jacking in the past. I think it's actually a poor jacking point. The plate with the two large holes actually isn't that strong. I tried putting a stand there once and it bent the metal. Instead, I put a stand under the subframe mounting point, which is what I have labelled as the alternative point.

I usually put my jack under the subframe right beside the front wheel, and then put the stand under the attaching point.

Old 03-15-2021, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Jagboi64
I have marked up your photo. The place where you have the jack actually isn't the factory jacking point, it's where there is a vertical seam, and the seam has been folded over from jacking in the past. I think it's actually a poor jacking point. The plate with the two large holes actually isn't that strong. I tried putting a stand there once and it bent the metal. Instead, I put a stand under the subframe mounting point, which is what I have labelled as the alternative point.

I usually put my jack under the subframe right beside the front wheel, and then put the stand under the attaching point.
Thanks man, much appreciated!
I thought the point I used for the jack in the photo was the correct one. There was a little arrow pointing towards it (like I saw in one of the workshop manual photos), and a gap in the plastic for the jack to fit in.
It's all a bit crazy!

Old 03-15-2021, 09:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 725 Likes on 648 Posts

@Jagbolt

your markup on jack point is incorrect. Granted it looks like someone mistakenly did it on the seam there but the correct spot(s) are marked on the outer frame by arrows.

#5 & 6 are correct for the X Type =

https://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2...raise_your_car

Ingenious solution (starts @ 6:20) =

Last edited by Dell Gailey; 03-15-2021 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-16-2021, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by Dell Gailey
@Jagbolt

your markup on jack point is incorrect. Granted it looks like someone mistakenly did it on the seam there but the correct spot(s) are marked on the outer frame by arrows.

#5 & 6 are correct for the X Type =

https://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2...raise_your_car

Ingenious solution (starts @ 6:20) =

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2K9i_RTAV7E
Damn, that jack stand is absolute genius!
But yes, that's why I made the original post, there's so much confusion about raising this car, and jack stands!
I was pretty sure that the jacking point I used was the correct one alright, with the arrow and the gap in the plastic. They are two clear signs that a designer went out of their way to make the point clear and obvious. It would be a major red herring if it wasn't the jacking point.