X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jag X 2002 3.0 only hot air blows out of the AC

Old 07-23-2013, 05:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jag X 2002 3.0 only hot air blows out of the AC

I'm a senior gal on a budget and really don't know much about my Jag, except that in all these years all it has ever needed was a new battery after 8 years. (I realize I'm very lucky!).

I stored my car outside at about 9300 feet all last winter (and now need new tires, who knew?). It doesn't get very hot up here, but I remember the A/C was working fine when I stored it. I did have to put antifreeze in the car, but the regular oil level was fine and I didn't notice the A/C til now. I have the regular LCD screen (not touch) and an A/C button.

I've read all the threads dealing with A/C issues on here, and it seems this might get expensive. I'm not sure where to start with diagnosing it...and if I have to take it into a shop, I'd like to have at least some idea of what might be wrong before I go. Thanks in advance for your help.

1. The blower goes on when I hit A/C. But it only blows HOT. ...
2. That is, until just now, when I went outside to confirm that it does go on....and then voila, cold air is coming out. The outside temp is 80 degrees and I turned the A/C on and started lowering the inside temp...and both the low and then the high blower (or fan?) kicked on. And there was pretty cold air. The hood was up, the windows open and the car was cooled down.
3. I can always hope that it fixed itself ♥, but I now remember that years ago, when driving in Denver, I needed the A/C, turned it on and it blew such hot air I nearly fainted! And then the next time I used it (back then) it worked fine.
4. So something is up, and if you can give me a step by step, I will certainly try to follow. (I did rebuild my VWbug engine twice in the '60's with the help of the Idiot guide, but techno stuff is pretty much beyond me these days)
Best!
Colorado Belle

Old 07-23-2013, 06:46 PM
GGG
Received 16,756 Likes on 12,145 Posts

Welcome to the forum Colorado Belle,

As the A/C has kicked in and finally blowing cold, if it does need any work, then probably little more than a re-gas. It's a good plan to cycle the system from max hot through max cold and back to standard setting once a month or thereabouts to exercise the valves and flaps. A Jaguar Dealer gave me that tip several years ago and I've never had issues since.

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST section and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham