X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Does a moderate intake/exhaust growl stick to Jaguar heritage?
Exhaust/intake would sound silly, ricer, trashy, obnoxious etc
6.67%
Intake/exhaust would set the whole Jaguar experience off just fine
93.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Is a Jaguar with an exhaust/intake ricey or obnoxious?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 04:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a Jaguar with an exhaust/intake ricey or obnoxious?

I LOVE how quiet my Jaguar is. I can cruise at 80mph and hear my radio on the first few degrees of volume. I can talk, scratch that, whisper, and still hear everything. But at the same time, I have this special place in my heart for European cars, particularly Jaguars, Porsche's, Ferrari's, etc with nice throaty exhaust noise. Nothing revs as high or as growlingly as a european sports/exotic.

So my question is, would me getting a classy tastefully styled cold air intake and some dual mufflers w/ larger oval tips on my X-Type make my car ricey, ignorant, buzzy, or any otherwise negatively thought up emotion? I want my British Jaguar to sound like it should, but at the same time I dont want people to think its a noisey ricebox. I'm not going to get anything too loud, I just want that growl that my jag gets about 2k rpms to come out more and be more noticeable. A nice intake would really help with the growl, and the dual mufflers would help a lot too I think. I'd either get mina or borla mufflers; but I must admit I've heard some Borla x-types on youtube and they sound pretty fantastic. I'd really appreciate to hear what some of the Brits on the board might have to say about this subject though since it IS their car, and who knows them better than the ones who make them?

Matt

Last edited by 85_305; 01-24-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:06 AM
Wink Grasshopper

Originally Posted by 85_305
I LOVE how quiet my Jaguar is. I can cruise at 80mph and hear my radio on the first few degrees of volume... Nothing revs as high or as growlingly as a european sports/exotic.

So my question is, would me getting a classy tastefully styled cold air intake and some dual mufflers w/ larger oval tips on my X-Type make my car ricey, ignorant, buzzy, or any otherwise negatively thought up emotion?
Matt, forgive my opinion, as I am a newbie, but if you want more growl from your exhaust, put a little more pedal down. Honestly, I've never heard of a Jaguar having a problem with, or needing to replace, the exhaust itself, so I can see no real reason to do so. If you want a bit of flare, you can always just install the tips, or maybe the air intake in the front, to actually give you the go along with the show. I understand you want the "Top Gear mating call" of a nice big whine coupled with a bit of a buzz going on under the seat. That's fine, but you should then invest in one that does it, saaaaaaaay an AM DB7 or 9 perhaps?

PS-you don't have dual exhausts already?

Old 01-25-2010, 08:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Although I'm not a Brit (I have been accused of being a ****** a few times though) I did put the Borlas on my car for just the reasons you mentioned. Fit the bill perfectly for what I was looking for. Just a little more throat, but nothing distracting or obnoxious. Can't say it really did much performance-wise, but I really wasn't expecting it to. Not very exepnsive, easy to put on and I think looks a lot nicer.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:06 PM

newbie- All opinions welcomed here! But I just want a little bit more of that ever-present growl once you hit 2000rpms.

alfa- you think the borlas sound pretty decent? Can you hear them while cruising on the highway? Would they sound good on the 2.5?

Old 01-25-2010, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Your thread reminded me of how silent Rolls Royce Corniche was . You could hear the clock ticking down which was down to how damn loud the clock was lol

Old 01-25-2010, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member

I'm very happy with the sound of them. You can hear them while cruising, but nothing that would interfere with hearing music or having a conversation. When you floor it there is a nice sound that is throatier than it was stock, but nothing like a V8 muscle car. Not sure what it would sound like with a 2.5, but probably similar to a 3.0 liter. The overall sound is nothing that would upset the neighbors. Hard to quantify the sound. I would say it has an adult sound, if that makes any sense. Not a "look at me" sound", but instead one that has enough juuuust enough of the right sound.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

We have to remeber, the x type is not a s type, packing a supercharged v8. Now thats out of the way, thier have been, on youtube, some that sound ricey, from what im wseeing the borlas are nice, but the magnafow gives you a more muscle car sound, im not sure of the specs.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

i have the magnaflows and they sound great. Not ricey at all, there subtle at crusing speeds and astonishing when you put the pedal down. People are not going to hear you coming from a block away. It is a subtle but sporty exhaust, ricey is far from it.

Now as for borlas and magnaflow, i went to one of the best shops around town and i was explained the difference between them. Nothing, i saw the cut out of the borla and the cutout of the magnaflow and they are literally identical. They are both straight through exhaust with fiber packed in the resonate the sound somewhat. The only difference is the name brand. Just my opinion.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:26 AM

Good info guys. Thanks logan I may look into the magnaflows. I will probably just find 2 mufflers that go in the stock location where the duals exit, but get larger ovals. Logan summed up his exhaust in a pretty descriptive way I think

Old 01-26-2010, 02:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Yea, i like logans when he did his thread, i would like to get something like that, logan did you just do the mufflers or the whole exhaust up to the engine headers

Old 01-27-2010, 12:17 AM

As far as logan's post I think he is right to put magnaflows on. While there is little difference in the name brand versus the not so much brand, the brand name will back you if it fails, the borlas, MAY not. Also, I understood what you were saying after I turned down my radio today and listened to the engine...there is a little something missing under 2K rpms, but it isn't much, so I'd still say the air intake might improve things more than the exhaust, and not just sound but power and possibly fuel economy.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member

Bolas are warrantied for a million miles against defects in materials and workmanship. As much as I love my X I doubt I will have it that long.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:59 PM

jag dreamer- I agree.. I think an intake will let it growl a bit more if not below 2k rpms, at minimum about 2k rpms! And if anything the mileage will increase which is always a plus!

Old 01-27-2010, 02:44 PM

I been debating whether i should have an side exhaust for my jag. I just want something different lol.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:59 PM

side exit? On a Jaguar? Not so much...
Keep it clean brother.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

Thanks guys, and disco I just did the mufflers. i am still deciding on if i want the resonator removed.

also sargkiller i agree with 85, keep it clean on the jag.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:16 PM
Cool

Originally Posted by jim.logan
also sargkiller i agree with 85, keep it clean on the jag.
However, I think keeping it clean COULD also involve a side exit behind the rear tires, perhaps molded into the corner of the bumper? However, no one would get to see any classy tips you put on.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member

I can't imagine anything looking better than some clean tips coming out the back of our cars, but you never know. All in the execution. I applaud anyone that would try, but I would not be that adventureous.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

I'm picturing various types and styles of side exit exhausts in my mind and none of them seem to really fit the looks of the car....or be better looking than duals out the back, for the X type. My opinion of course...

As for Borla, they are a longstanding reputable company. I've had Borla products on many vehicles with nary a complaint about the product. Never had to return them but I think they would stand on the million mile guarantee. I have Borla headers and a Borla stainless exhaust on my Jeep, about a 5 year old system, beat it to crap and back in the woods and it takes a beating with no issues.