X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar voice problem.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 02:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jaguar voice problem.

Just treat my 2002 X type to a couple of retrofits, namely, factory sat nav, phone module with Bluetooth, and voice.
She already had the cd changer so that was a bonus.

After making wiring looms and installing the modules etc, I am left with a small but niggling problem. I get no response from the voice button on the steering wheel. It's dead, does nothing, no beep, doesn't even mute the radio anymore(it did do that before the voice module was installed)

Everything else works like a charm. I have the voice option ticked in the secret menu on the nav. The voice training option is present in the nav menu. When I press either 'a' or 'b' the car starts voice training until it asks me to press the voice button on the wheel to continue. I press it and nothing happens, until the system times out and cancels the voice training.

I was under the impression that any or all voice modules would work with any year of X type. Is this correct? For info, my voice module has 2R8F-14B292-BD printed on it.

Any help to figure this out would be very much appreciated.

Old 04-04-2018, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Greetings. By any chance, during your mods, did you disturb or remove the steering wheel or any of its electrical connectors. Are any other wheel or stalk enabled functions not working? If so, you may wish to read up on the clockspring issues. If not, ignore.

Regarding VCM numbering, I am aware of at least 2 different and incompatible number offerings in the S-Type of similar era . . . reason enough to suspect X-Type is same. IIRC, other members have migrated compatible VCM from X-Type to S-Type so you might review same topic on that forum also?

Best wishes,

Ken

Old 04-04-2018, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 392 Likes on 289 Posts

i did the whole retrofit in 2014 ill look the numbers up ,if i can remember you need all the modules

1-bluetooth module

2-phone module

3- mic

4- correct optic loom

5-voice module

when i tried to get it to work years ago i had the wrong phone module , i got the correct one and everthing worked ,
one thing! once i installed it i rarely used it ,i used the bluetooth phone though

also you have to have the fibre optics in the correct order

my old thread

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...s-info-102632/

everyone is going android now
in the stock system

Last edited by dennis black; 04-04-2018 at 08:03 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:51 AM

Thanks for the tips. I'd like to know which voice units are incompatible as you've mentioned Ken. Maybe I have been unlucky buying one of these units.
Little update...this morning the voice module didn't appear to start up as my voice button now started muting the radio as before it was installed. I checked in the secret menu and 'voice' wasn't highlighted. After highlighting this again I then tried the voice training...same outcome as yesterday, no response from the button. I guess this proves the button on the steering wheel is ok. All other buttons on the wheel work normally.

I think I have the optical leads in correctly but I will double check later. I made the optical loom from various other looms I acquired along the way. Maybe this is the problem?

Old 04-05-2018, 04:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

OK, progress. The ON again / OFF again steering located button functions suggest there is no problem there. Next, go to Electrical section of service manual and find the topology for the optical daisy chain because, as Dennis points out, the order as well the connections themselves are critical.

As to VCM incompatibility, I'm afraid you are going to need to do the forum searching yourself. I do recall it was the S-Type forum, probably 4 years ago. I was an interested observer rather than ongoing contributor . . . given the complexity of issues, I quickly lost interest in adding voice to any of my Jaguars. Again, I agree with Dennis that Bluetooth & Android are an entirely different and very desirable matter.

Best wishes,

Ken

Old 04-06-2018, 08:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 392 Likes on 289 Posts

all yhe voice modules will work its the phone module you to have wright
first check if you have the optics in the right order

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...922/nxU6dq.jpg

Last edited by dennis black; 04-06-2018 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-08-2018, 05:51 AM
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

the mic feed from the front of the car has to pass through the voice unit, and is then fed from the voice unit to the phone unit. you can unplug the voice unit and short the two yellow green twisted pairs to by pass the voice module to check the phone still works.

Old 04-08-2018, 06:45 AM

Thanks for the continued help all.
Ive rechecked the optical cables and they're correct and showing on the nav screen.
The phone works absolutely fine with or without the voice module wired in.
One thing that makes me think I have the wrong voice module is on the supplied connector plug there are several other wires that aren't connected. Looking at the diagrams for the XJ series Jaguar (which this module is from), these wires are for additional mics in the rear of the car. I believe there are 7 or 8 wires in total that aren't connected. I'm trying to find out how the mics in the rear of the XJ are operated. Is there another voice button or switch in the rear? The general consensus is that any voice module will work but it does make me wonder if the module is programmed differently to take these mics into account.

I know I should be asking this in the XJ section, just airing my thoughts here.
Thanks again for the help.

Old 04-08-2018, 03:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts
Old 04-10-2018, 06:15 AM

Thanks Dell. That appears to be similar if not identical to the X-type Voice instructions.
I have ordered another voice module to try. Fingers crossed that will fix it. I'll report back with the good(or bad) news!

Old 04-19-2018, 08:35 AM

Finally, the Jaguar voice system is up and running!

I tried another voice module with exactly the same results. So, in desperation I removed the rear seat base to check the wiring and found everything ok according to the wiring diagram I had.
I then checked for 12 volts at the relevant pins and found the problem. The ignition live feed wasn't live at all, so I simply moved the offending wire to an ignition feed and my voice button immediately came to life.
After all that it seems I need to remember around 100 phrases to use it properly which I 'll probably never do, but happy that it's working nevertheless.

Thanks to everyone who helped and offered guidance in my darkest hour of fault finding.