X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar x type 204

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 07:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar x type 204

On my jaguar x type 2004 diesel, ABS sign is flashing, cruiser control not working, brake light not working., and wiper is not working. What can I do?

Old 06-07-2019, 11:17 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,924 Likes on 3,223 Posts

Senga, first off, we need to separate things into different problems. It would appear that you have atleast 2 different issues, if not 3. The ABS light and the cruise control are related problems. The brake lights not working may possibly be tied to the wipers if the problem is related to the GEM module (but you would most likely be having power window issues and some other things too).

First thing that is recommended to do is get the codes read for your car using the OBD port. Odds are, you are going to find that you have C1165 and/or C1175 codes in your car. These would be the speed sensors for the rear wheels of the car and odds are, you are looking at replacing the rear CV shafts to replace the reluctance ring there. If you have C1145 and/or C1155, then these would be associated with your front wheels. If you have these, did you just recently have your front wheel bearings replaced? If so, odds are, the mechanic that installed the bearing put it in backwards (there is an inside and outside to the bearing).

As for the brake lights not working, the first spot that I would tell you to start is at the plug to the tail lights. It is a common issue to have the ground wire develop a high resistance connection and this will cause the plug to become damaged/burnt, leading to various lights not working. When you remove the plug, it will be pretty obvious if you have an issue or not relating to the high resistance. After that, I would look at the brake switch under the dash. Granted, this normally results in the brake lights remaining on, not them staying off.

As for the wipers, the most likely thing is the fuse for the wipers. Check that. If the fuse is good, then odds are you are looking at a bad stalk.

If you want to check things electrically, how are you with using a multimeter. I want to know this so I know how detailed I need to get with the instructions. The other tidbit of information I need to know will be found in your driver's door jam. I need to know the month/year that your car was built. There are 2 different wiring diagrams for the 2004 MY car. I want to make sure I am looking at the correct diagrams.