Jaguar x type 3.0 "gear fault "

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 12:59 AM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Jaguar x type 3.0 "gear fault "

04 Jaguar xtype 3.0 auto / gas
Gear fault issue :
Codes - P1747- c1155

car will go into gear fault "limp mode" when driving for a while - or highway driving & changing speeds - also when starts ups if I pull off with out bring on idle for a while the car will go into limp mode

Started three weeks ago when - I notice my antifreeze reserver had a leakage from the front
I order one but it got delayed almost two weeks there was signs if antifreeze liquid all over engine bay - I found on jaguar forume theses symptoms are related to tcm & ecm getting wet - made sense due to the fact that the antifreeze is right above the tcm - any way I pulled out the tcm & ecm I open both no sign of water i hair dry them & taped them with roof tape (water proof) covered all seals & openings - I sprayed the electrical connectors with Crc Electrical grade- I also did the same to parking module in trunk - now I do have another code which is c1155 which is the left driver Side abs sencer, before this situation acurred with the gear fault - I hit a pot hole that bent my front driver side spindle - I had gotten the spindle replaced (professionally) but with a used spindle works fine but I get c1155 - I recently replaced the sencer first but code still exist not sure if spindles bad or how to test it, but I've heard this issue with c1155 can be related to the gear fualt due to the transmission is not getting a full read on all four wheels, can this happen ?

The car runs great I put only premium gas & full systhatic Castrol Edge 5W30 4000 miles never had a problem - I recently change the 02 upstream sanser - brakes - mass flow sencer - fuel filter - air filter - ect not sure what's the issue or did I do something wrong when cleaning the tcm & ecm - I did stripped the five star bolt on the ecm I understand that bolt need to be tight - also lots of connectors got wet when anti freeze was leaking for two weeks - also not sure which relays & fuses should I check ? I also notice when changing my batterie that my alternator regulator is pulling higher valtage then usual & engin bay is more hotter then before - Also which ground wires should I check & what's the best way to check them ?

Old 10-12-2013, 02:02 AM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I would bet money that you're not getting a good connection to that left-front sensor. I would take the wheel off, pull the wire going to the sensor, clean it really good, apply some dielectric grease, put it all back together and see if it goes bang. You can always pull relays and fuses, check them, and then put them back in, that might be a good thing to do.

Here's some instructions on "P1747", it has to do with the "Timing Solenoid" in the transmission. A lot of times it will be the TCM that get's wet, but it looks like you're not that lucky.

It's important to note that I've seen my friends "X" throw all kinds of codes because the transmission fluid needed changed. That might be a troubleshooting step for you.

PINPOINT TEST C : P1747. 2/4 BRAKE TIMING SOLENOID MALFUNCTION
TEST
CONDITIONS
DETAILS/RESULTS/ACTIONS
C1: CHECK THE 2/4 BRAKE TIMING SOLENOID GROUND CIRCUIT.
Disconnect transmission electrical connector JB155.
Measure the resistance between JB155, pin 18 (B) and GROUND.
Is the resistance greater than 5 ohms?
Yes
GO to C3.
No
GO to C2.
C2: CHECK THE 2/4 BRAKE TIMING SOLENOID RESISTANCE.
Measure the resistance between JB155 pin 18 and pin 13 at the transmission.
Is the resistance 16 ohms?
Yes
GO to C3.
No
INSTALL a new timing solenoid. CLEAR the DTC. TEST the system for normal operation.
C3: CHECK THE 2/4 BRAKE TIMING SOLENOID GROUND WIRE FOR CONTINUITY.
Disconnect TCM electrical connector JB131.
Measure the resistance between JB155, pin 18 (B) and JB131, pin 17 (B).
Yes
REPAIR the high resistance circuit. For additional information, refer to the wiring diagrams. CLEAR
the DTC. TEST the system for normal operation.
No
Contact dealer technical support for advice on possible module failure.
C4: CHECK THE 2/4 BRAKE TIMING SOLENOID SIGNAL WIRE FOR CONTINUITY.
Measure the resistance between JB155, pin 13 (U) and JB131, pin 04 (U).
Yes
REPAIR the high resistance circuit. For additional information, refer to the wiring diagrams. CLEAR
the DTC. TEST the system for normal operation.
No
Contact dealer technical support for advice on possible module failure.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:03 AM

Yea i believe so thanks for your help but do u know exactly what relays do I need to pull out & check - also how do I properly locate the "Timing Solenoid" in the transmission - do I need any special tool or a lifted , what do I need to remove - I don't want to damage anything eles while trying to fix this issue

Old 10-13-2013, 03:31 AM

I forgot to tell you, JB155 sits on the transmission pan. JB131 is the connector that links to the TCM in the car. Take your multimeter and do these tests, it will tell you if you have a bad solenoid. (To get to the front of the transmission pan you need to remove the battery, the battery holder and it's support. The support has a bunch of 13mm bolts, and one 10mm bolt holding it on from the underside. After you get those off you can see the electrical connections that sit on the transmission pan, that one is JB155.)

Old 10-13-2013, 02:48 PM

Is there any way to repair/clean them if they are bad - also I notice some grounding wires might need to be clean what do u suggest to repair them ?

Old 10-19-2013, 02:29 AM
Default Cleaning

Yeah, to "clean" an electrical connector get some electronic parts cleaner and an old-clean tooth brush and go to town cleaning the inside and outside of the connectors. When reassembling make sure to put some good dielectric greece on the connections...
Cables are really easy to clean. Get a bottle of Coca-cola and an old scouring-pad, pour the cola on and work it in with the scouring pad. When everything is all shinny, rinse off with water and cover the connections with a mixture of 1 part baking soda to 1 part petroleum-jelly (this will protect against corrosion).

The following users liked this post:
Lcgi (10-19-2013)
Old 10-20-2013, 01:29 PM

Sound good thanks for the tip