X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar X-Type Not starting / "Gearbox Fault" - Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 06:30 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just an update on a gearbox fault message I received after leaving the Xtype on a slope in the rain for a couple of days. The car started in limp mode but eventually wouldn't start at all. Water had ingressed the TCM connector and also the ECU connector. They were both cleaned and dried and worked ok unfortunatly the instrument cluster wouldn't communicate with the ECU any more leaving the car disabled. The Cluster had to be renewed at a cost of AU$1350 for the unit plus labour charges. Apparantly the major source of the water leaks on this model are via the Skuttle plate above the polon filter. The plate is sealed to the body via a backing tape that tends to come unstuck when work is performed in this area ie pollen filter change etc. This allows water to run behind it and enter the car near the TCM and ECU modules. I would suggest any owners should check and reseal any gaps at the panel to prevent a costly repair.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So has anyone had any sucess in getting this problem fixed ???

Old 10-07-2012, 12:10 PM
Post 2008 Jaguar X Type 2.2td Automatic

2008 Jaguar X type 2.2td Automatic.

I Have the above car which one day just did not start had it diagnosed by myself lol at my own workshop in my own time I used the launch X431 Master which was not communicating with ECM and was communicating with all other modules. I went crazy trying to find out what was wrong with the car . The car would crank over perfectly but not start, No immobiliser light just engine management light on and glow light flashing on dash.

looked at fuel supply there was no fuel supply from pump looked like it was the pump as I first opened rail there was no pressure as-well? then we opened the EGR throttle valve next to high pressure pump read on a few forums the throttle valve gets stuck checked it and there was some build up of carbon but not enough to stop the throttle valve. cleaned it up anyway after that checked all fuses to compartments one in engine and one in the passenger side compartment all were ok.

In the end checked the instrument cluster it was showing fault code u1900 cleared it still no go. after which I connected the chinese t300 to the obd port and it made the instrument cluster activate and all dials started going crazy etc. after which try to start it and it just started thank god for that . saved me going to the *******s. i was adament from the begining that i would not take it to the dealers and solve the problem myself.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:10 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile Water intrusion...

Originally Posted by groy
My 03 2.5 is doing the same thing, and has been since the windshield was replaced.

There are many posts related to this gear box failure...no cruise control default....seems most are solved without major cost, once you find the problem and most of those relate to moisture getting in through the windshield and/or windshield wipers either into a sensor or wiring.......good luck it's a pain in the ****.
A problem with these cars is when the windshield is replaced or the scuttle panel the wiper drives protrude up through is removed and not properly put back on a leak is introduced that allows water to run down the windshield, under the scuttle, onto the wires that go to the badly placed/angled Engine Computer, and into it. I finally figured this out and did the following to correct it. I removed the wiper arms and the scuttle panel cowl. I cut a piece of very thick black plastic (almost as thick as say a plastic trash can) and slid this inside the opening below the wiper on the computer side so it made water not go directly down anymore. If I had cut the plastic any longer it would have protruded over into contact with the driver's side wiper mechanism as it operated. I also sprayed the top and upper connector of the computer with a lot of white lithium grease to repel water. That stopped mine from having the water intrusion problem. If this had not fixed it, my next step would have been to physically glue a protective lean-to "roof" like a flap over the computer to keep water out of it and off it's wires. Didn't have to do that. Mine would display three messages when the water intrusion happened, DSC system fault, Transmission Fault, and Cruise Not Available. There would be no throttle control from the accelerator pedal, only idle, and it would basically be in neutral. As I would coast to the side of the road I could feel the anti lock brake system periodically applying the brakes as if it were trying to slow the car down by itself. Since my little mod the problem went away and has never returned. This has to be the first time I've seen a car maker design the ECU to protrude about half way into the engine compartment, and even worse, with the forward end angled upward. My Ford Ranger computer slides in from the front but completely up into a pocket in the firewall on the extreme driver's side. Had Jaguar not put theirs in at an angle, not let it protrude into the engine compartment, or shielded it with a plastic cover, it would not have become a problem. I don't recommend trying to relocate the computer or change the angle at which it is mounted. It could very well be that the Yaw sensors are inside it and would seriously throw off and confuse the Dynamic Stability Control system causing it to function improperly.

Last edited by TomTom; 12-17-2013 at 07:19 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TomTom:
Loveiskind EyesonHim (06-06-2020), snafu (07-20-2014)
Old 07-11-2014, 01:24 PM
Received 695 Likes on 349 Posts
Default Water intrusion...

Quoting TomTom, I also have the same water problem in my 2004 X type. The water builds up under the ECM and TCM connections under the hood (See PICTURES). This area becomes a FLOODED RIVER when its raining, so sealing it up would be a good idea. Im still waiting on the 5 point security bit to remove the ECM connector, but I used a can of GASKET SEAL to seal up the areas towards the bottom of the windsheild, and the upper corners of the front fenders. I will post pictures after it dries.

If you want to check and see where the water is coming from, and if it goes near the ECM connector, just dunk some water on your windshield and see where is goes.

Attached Thumbnails Jaguar X-Type Not starting / "Gearbox Fault" - Please help!-img_0379.jpg   Jaguar X-Type Not starting / "Gearbox Fault" - Please help!-img_0383.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by gkubrak:
Loveiskind EyesonHim (06-06-2020), snafu (07-20-2014)
Old 07-20-2014, 11:49 AM

Thank you for the pics and knowledge / I am currently experiencing the exact same problem and it was caused by heavy rain last couple of days.

I will go through the recommended things and let you all know the results.

Thanks guys you have no idea how helpful this forum has been to me as a new Jaguar owner I was taken back by the styling smoothness of it all and then it rained / oh my what a mess of lack of common sense on the wiring and fluid check replacement procedures / other than that I absolutely am in Love with a 2002 X type / just not the wiring / tranny - transfer case fluid check change insanity.

Anyways off to fix or maybe not my new obsession / Thanks guys

Tim

Old 07-21-2015, 10:45 PM
Default Success!!!!!

I had the same problem car not shifting not starting and gearbox fault warning and I flipped the one way black fuse around in the fuse panel... I accidently switched it around checking fuses I'm not sure what it is exactly called last but it is the size of a fuse looks like a solid black fuse but has a arrow on the top of it... well if it's backwards it will show all the symptoms that we have been discussing over the years.....

Old 07-28-2015, 02:34 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

See my post "X type hard starting issues" Changing the negative battery cable and fresh battery solve my problems. Some other posts said the negative battery cables tend to go bad. Mine looked ugly.

The following users liked this post:
CBenbrook347 (04-15-2021)
Old 08-04-2015, 08:58 AM

hi guys . my s type 2003 model doesn't move forward or backwards. I hit hard on a wet speed hump and oil was leaking. then there was hear box fault message. we bought gun gum to close the leak on the gearbox cover and replaced a liter of transmission oil on the gearbox. but stil to drive forward or reverse is a struggle. what do I do?

Old 08-04-2015, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Sorry to hear about your problems.

You either have more damage that just a fluid leak or you could also not have the correct fluid level. How did you determine how much fluid to add? If you drove it for any distance without fluid in it you could have also done some damage. Impossible to say with such little information to go on.

Are there any warning lights lit up on the dash after that happened?

Old 02-02-2016, 05:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SOLUTION

I have turned every bolt and touched every wire on my X-Type. Im 17, I had the same problem and it turned out to be my starter, had the old one tested at autozone and bought a new one. HOWEVER it did not work like it should. for some reason I had to use jumper cables and ground the starter to the battery and everything worked as it should and my Trans fault went away when it started, hope this was helpful.

The following users liked this post:
CBenbrook347 (04-15-2021)
Old 02-03-2016, 10:22 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Replace the negative battery cable.

These cars apparently are notorious for having the negative battery cable go bad. My 3.0 was showing faults and not starting and I changed the neg cable and battery and it runs perfect and has for a year. The old cable was a bronze fitting that would not come off and the cable had corrosion where it joins together. Hope this helps.