X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar X-Type Not starting / "Gearbox Fault" - Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 03:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jaguar X-Type Not starting / "Gearbox Fault" - Please help!

Hi all:

This is for a 2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5L AWD with automatic trans. I bought it like this. The car won't turn over (starter won't even engage). The car also stays in park, and I cannot shift out of it. The display in the gauge cluster states "Gearbox Fault." I know the battery is dead, but even if I use jumper cables or jump starter, it won't allow me to shift out of park nor turn the engine over. The lights, fan, radio, headlights and etc all work.

Any ideas/tips would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

The following users liked this post:
J. Romanello (07-11-2014)
Old 05-22-2010, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Well before we try to start guessing too much, I'd suggest you get a code reader and see what it is throwing.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:25 PM

I tried using an OBD2 code reader (used two different models, Autoxray CodeScout 2500 and an Actron model), neither of them worked. The CEL is definately on, but it is not reading the code. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:46 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you checked to see if the ECM is still functioning???? If it has water damage of some sort it may be done for....

Old 06-01-2010, 09:53 PM

Could a bad ECU be the reason why it won't shift out of park? It IS parked on an incline. I rocked the car back and forth, and was able to shift it out of park. Now it won't go back, and I can't take the key out the ignition. Hmmm.

Last edited by Cadillac; 06-02-2010 at 03:05 AM.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:53 PM

Car still won't start! As stated earlier, the OBD2 reader won't read any codes. It does have power to it though. I was able to take the key out of the ignition, and put the shifter back in park. I believe the car is in park. The key won't start or turn the engine over. If you cross the power in the starter solenoid, it would turn over but not start.

Any ideas?

Old 08-04-2010, 12:19 PM

The car does have a cracked windshield, so I thought moisture/water could get into the TCM and ruin it. I pulled out the TCM, and there was no corrosion in it at all.

This leads me to believe it may be the ECU. I located it behind the right strut tower. There were two nuts on either side of it, and a star-shaped "security" nut. I took both nuts off, but it would not come out. Anyone have any idea how to pull it out?

I believe the antennas are functioning. When the button for the power lock or trunk is pressed, the locks unlock and trunk pops open.

I was told there might be some cracked EVAP line? I pulled of the intake box, and did not notice ANY evap lines. The only thing was the PCV pipe, which seeed to be in good condition.

I also had some turn the key to the on position, and press the throttle pedal. With the intake tube off, I noticed that the butterfly was not moving. Should it move?

One last thing, when you turn your key to the "ON" position, does your gas gauge needle move? My needle is on "E", I don't know if it is broken, or if there's no gas in it, or if it's not supposed to move.

Thanks.

Last edited by Cadillac; 08-04-2010 at 12:39 PM. Reason: upon the poster's request
Old 08-04-2010, 12:25 PM

I also took the ground wire leading to the ECU off (near the power steering reservoir). It had no corrosion on it at all, but I took it off, sanded both sides and the body and put it back on. No change.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member

Have you tried putting a known good, fully charged battery in? I know you said you've jumped it etc, but these cars are finicky about needing a strong battery. I'd do that before anything else.

When you turn the key, yes the gas needle should move.

A total guess but another place to look would be the shifter or interlock solenoid that allows the J gate to move. If something there is screwed up it might be preventing the car from recognizing it is in Park and starting.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by The Chris X
Have you tried putting a known good, fully charged battery in? I know you said you've jumped it etc, but these cars are finicky about needing a strong battery. I'd do that before anything else.

When you turn the key, yes the gas needle should move.

A total guess but another place to look would be the shifter or interlock solenoid that allows the J gate to move. If something there is screwed up it might be preventing the car from recognizing it is in Park and starting.

I'll try switching it out with a stronger battery. Also, what are symptoms of the J gate failure? Once I take it out of park, I have to slam it back into park for it to go back in. Someone said try to here some clicking noise by the shifter, but I haven't heard any. Can someone post a picture of what the solenoid itself look like? That way I can see if its actually engaging or not.

Also, could this have anything to do with the OBD2 port not reading? The car seems to be stuck in gear.

Thanks.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:35 PM

As far as the J Gate, this is what I've found:

If I put it in reverse, and if someone is behind the vehicle, the backup sensor goes off. Doesn't this mean that it understands its in reverse?

I sprayed starter fluid, no luck. I doubt it would've done anything to begin with.

By the way, this is with a fresh/strong battery.

Again, does anyone know how to take the ECU out? I've taken the two 10 mm bolts off the two sides, but there appears to be a 5-point star security screw/nut.

Thanks.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:42 AM
Veteran Member

The star shaped bit is a torx security bit. You can get them at most hardware stores. Sounds like you need to remove it to get the ECU out. I've never taken it out of this car, so just going by your description.

I have no more suggestions, other than perhaps it's time to bite the bullet and tow it to the dealer.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:13 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

TPRO, I would first say to check the fuse for the ECU and TCM. See if by chance that you simply had a fuse that blew. I don't have my JTIS Service CD with me as I am on vacation, but I will be getting back shortly and will then be able to give you the specific fuse number to check. Based on what you are describing, you either have a bad ECU or the fuse(s) for the ECM are blown (possibly due to age, possibly due to a fault). Give me a few more days and then I will be able to get your car back to 100%.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
TPRO, I would first say to check the fuse for the ECU and TCM. See if by chance that you simply had a fuse that blew. I don't have my JTIS Service CD with me as I am on vacation, but I will be getting back shortly and will then be able to give you the specific fuse number to check. Based on what you are describing, you either have a bad ECU or the fuse(s) for the ECM are blown (possibly due to age, possibly due to a fault). Give me a few more days and then I will be able to get your car back to 100%.
Thermo,

I really appreciate your response. Were you able to get back from your vacay? I tried the fuses, and no luck. I used the X-type diagram that is posted on here.

Do you know how I can remove the ECU? I removed the two nuts from the engine bay that hold it onto the firewall. There is one long bolt that goes through it that I have no idea how to remove. (5 pointed star, with raised circle in center). Do you know how many bolts are in the cabin side of the firewall?

Also, let say if I were to determine it is a bad ECU. Do I need to tow the car to the dealer? Can I just bring the key and ECU and they can program it? How much does it cost? (Price and hours).

Thanks!

Old 09-07-2010, 12:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tpro123
Thermo!
Oddly enough I have the same problem with my x type, can't start it and won't even make a sound. I also can't scan it with the OBD tool, but I have the same problems popping on my cluster. Gearbox faul etc....
anybody came to a solution or got any ideas/suggestions ?

Old 09-07-2010, 01:00 PM

The ECU is not removed via the engine compartment. To remove the ECU you have to look underneath the glove compartment on the passenger side. There is another module attached to it, the chassis computer module, with color coded plugs. There will be a single bolt against the floor holding the assembly down.

Old 06-25-2011, 06:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

i don't think the intake butterfly should open without the engine running as it is controlled electronically...there is no throttle cable

Old 08-25-2011, 12:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

Did any of you guys with this problem solve the problem? I ask because my 2002 X-Type 3.0 just did exactly the same thing. I have not had a chance to check the fuses yet but will try that first unless someone here has already found another solution.

Mark

Quick Reply: Jaguar X-Type Not starting / "Gearbox Fault" - Please help!