X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar XE launch London Sept 2014 - Start to Finish

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 03:36 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,844 Likes on 3,160 Posts

For those following, pics will be coming later tonight. If you have questions that you are interested in, let me know. I will ask the design and marketing guys and see if they have an answer for me. It is very interesting talking with these guys and seeing how the back side of Jaguar works and their thinking.

The following 4 users liked this post by Thermo:
jimborino (09-08-2014), JimC64 (09-08-2014), Norri (09-08-2014), SteveSheldon (09-09-2014)
Old 09-08-2014, 02:39 PM
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

They mentioned Chris in the emails that were sent out too!

Jaguar XE launch London Sept 2014 - Start to Finish-image-3993578581.jpg

Can't wait to get the insider details, have fun!

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (09-08-2014)
Old 09-08-2014, 02:54 PM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Watching the launch on and off for the last HOUR.
Waaay too much invented-drama-HOKUM, and not enough new car.
I can't watch anymore, its just too painfully silly.
Will come back tonight hoping to see lots of photos of the new car.

Old 09-08-2014, 04:09 PM
Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by MeatBag
Watching the launch on and off for the last HOUR.
Waaay too much invented-drama-HOKUM, and not enough new car.
I can't watch anymore, its just too painfully silly.
Will come back tonight hoping to see lots of photos of the new car.
Here's the official shots shared by Top Gear. Man it's pretty. Not a fan of the interior though personally.

Welcome to the new Jaguar XE - BBC Top Gear

SteveSheldon (09-09-2014)
Old 09-08-2014, 05:57 PM
Veteran member

Guys, I have all the pictures that you could want of the new car. I will be posting them here shortly and then giving you a list of what are facts about the car and then I am also going to give you my impression of what I think the car is going to come with. While I would love to give you all the gory details of the car, some of what I have been told I have pinky swore to secrecy until Jaguar releases it. Now, that isn't to say that some of what I saw and asked questions about was answered with a "I can not discuss that at this moment". But, talking October 2nd, there will be a big release with the official specs and whatnot about the car. But, I can get your mouths watering before hand. So, keep an eye out and I will post stuff up as fast as I can.

The following 3 users liked this post by Thermo:
JimC64 (09-08-2014), Spikepaga (09-08-2014), SteveSheldon (09-09-2014)
Old 09-08-2014, 06:31 PM
Veteran member

OK, here is the initial set of pics. Just trying to get these out there, so, no real editing or anything of the like has been done. Look closely. There is lots of hidden things in the pics that are not obvious. I have asked questions and got funny looks because I was figuring out a lot of this stuff. But, I have to be somewhat mum on this until a later date.

Enjoy.

The following 6 users liked this post by Thermo:
Cambo (09-08-2014), JimC64 (09-08-2014), o1xjr (09-09-2014), Spikepaga (09-08-2014), SteveSheldon (09-09-2014), Trooper2142 (09-09-2014) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-08-2014, 06:34 PM
Received 4,446 Likes on 2,425 Posts

XE wagon in silver, that's good news!

Edit

Hard to see on my phone but is the black one a coupé?

Last edited by Cambo; 09-08-2014 at 06:38 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,006 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Nice pics, car looks great, but I have to say and it may just be me.....

You'dthink that after all the money they spent on this that they'd "DETAIL" the car to remove swirl marks etc from the paintwork / door pillars

Get more posted if you have em Chris, hope you're having a ball??

Old 09-09-2014, 02:55 AM
Veteran member

Jim, I was one of the first to start taking pics of the car. They were wiping that car all night after I took my pics.

The following 2 users liked this post by Thermo:
JimC64 (09-09-2014), SteveSheldon (09-09-2014)
Old 09-09-2014, 02:56 AM
Veteran member

Cambo, the silver wagon is an XF, not an XE. Sorry to burst your bubble. Jaguar had the whole line up on the stage with the XE.

The following 3 users liked this post by Thermo:
Cambo (09-10-2014), JimC64 (09-09-2014), SteveSheldon (09-09-2014)
Old 09-09-2014, 04:47 AM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Full YouTube Coverage of the Live XE launch event
and the car is revealed a little after 1hr 45min

Old 09-09-2014, 05:11 AM
Veteran member

Ha ha ha ha, I am in the video above. Granted, all you see is the back of my head. I am at about 2:04:04 in the video. If you look between the 2 people doing the interview, clear back at the car, you will see someone come in with a blue shirt and black pants. That is me. I need to watch more of it to see if I am elsewhere. I walked around that car for over an hour taking all sorts of pics and whatnot.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:19 AM
GGG
Received 16,827 Likes on 12,179 Posts

Originally Posted by JimC64
..... You'd think that after all the money they spent on this that they'd "DETAIL" the car to remove swirl marks etc from the paintwork / door pillars ....
Exactly the same thought crossed my mind when I saw the early coverage yesterday afternoon and the photos in the UK press last night.

Graham

Old 09-09-2014, 06:34 AM
Received 528 Likes on 427 Posts

First of all huge & massive thanks Chris for getting what you have of the event. Its great to see shots etc that are more 'real' than the newspaper ones.
Now imho without driving the car or seeing it in person myself, and based on what I have seen so far, I have the following observations.. I remember when the X-Type came out it got slated because it was the baby - trying to carry the opulence I guess of the bigger Jags to a smaller cheaper vehicle and people did comparisons between them and concluded the X-Type was very much the poor brother of the bigger Jags and didn't carry it well.. I seem to be feeling a little dejavu.. the new XE has some of the features of its bigger more expensive siblings but the feeling of being a 'normal' family compact saloon and Jaguar are saying the same spiel as last time that this will launch them into the wider arena.. I am worried that in history whilst the X-Type was marked down despite in actual fact being a fantastic car, this one may suffer the same fate.. it's great that they have launched it in such a big way amassing a huge media coverage but whilst it is fully loaded with technology it 'appears' visually underwhelming.. the front design doesn't stand out to me as stating Jaguar loudly, and the back looks like a scaled down XF? Jaguar have said that this is the car to make them - it is make or break, and they have injected huge amounts of capital into it.. I worry... Jaguar is a name linked with luxury cars, and the XE whilst an X-Type replacement and there to grab a share of the lower end of the market, does not carry the Jaguar brand strongly enough I think.. it makes little odds that it may drive better than an X-Type, or be more reliable, and linked to the current range of Jaguars - it has to have that wow factor in looks and I will probably change my perspective as we go, but currently it underwhelms me.. I just hope it changes my mind as we go :-) as I love Jaguar cars - I believe in them as more than just a slightly different flavour of what other manufacturers supply..
OK, that's my thoughts so far... but I'm very happy for the car to prove me wrong and change my mind :-)

Old 09-09-2014, 09:13 AM
Veteran member

Steve, you make a few good points and Jaguar is seeing this. Unfortunately,they are going with the look that they are than sticking with more of a "traditional" look with the 4 headlights. But, with that being said, Jaguar sees the "XJ look" (4 headlights, bubbly hood, long, low look) as being their weak point in the late 2000's when they were starting to loose market share because "they were still using the same technology" as they say. Now, a true jaguar owner would know that they were keeping up with the times with what they were offering. But, when you are trying to bring in new people, you need something that says "I am new and exciting" and not so much "I am a Jaguar". Hence why you are seeing what you are seeing.

As for more pics, let me get home and be able to properly edit the pictures to give a better representation of the car and some of its key components. I am also wanting to review some of the releases that Jaguar has made so I can talk as much as I can about the new XE without violating one of the many pieces of paper I had to sign stating I would not release details about the car until after they do.

Old 09-09-2014, 11:06 AM
Received 528 Likes on 427 Posts

Well, as I said I am truly hoping I am wrong and I could well be (my wife can list many occasions without even having to think lol)- Many, many thanks for all your hard work getting the photos and what details you can online though - I for one very much appreciate the chance to have a look and start to formulate an opinion.. I was the same moving from the XJ I had, to the X-Type - it took time for me to adjust and start to pick out positives rather than negatives and now I *know* my X-Type to the point it is the first car I have had complete trust in on the road - if it can't avoid or get me out of trouble I am sunk lol For die hards the V6, and ideally a V8 answers the bill and the 4 cylinder just doesn't feel right but that said, if you go by UK TV advertising of other cars similar classes the new market is much more focused on the badge and the technology contained in the car and in view of that it may well do very well - this time Jaguar is marketing the car to the right segment unlike the X-Type was..

Old 09-10-2014, 07:14 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I, for one, think it's beautiful, and exactly what I was hoping for (almost, but I'll get to that in a second)—it is elegant yet sporty, it incorporates the current Jaguar look while offering enough that is fresh and new to make it exciting, and it does NOT include those hideous vertical taillights from the (otherwise stunningly beautiful) XJ. I'm also excited about what appears to be a highly competitive range of engine offerings.

Now I get to the "almost" part—for me, a manual transmission is an absolute requirement, and as of the last time I checked, the 3-Series is the only European car in this segment that offers one (at least, in the American market). The availability of the manual transmission on the late X-Type is the only reason that I am a happy Jaguar owner today. I'm elated to hear that the F-Type is finally getting a proper stick shift for 2015; did you get any idea about whether Jaguar has any plans for a stick to make its way into this car? I think that would attract a niche of the market on which BMW currently has a virtual monopoly, and I'd love to see Jaguar get a piece.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:18 AM
Received 4,446 Likes on 2,425 Posts

It has been mentioned that the XE will get a 6-speed manual option.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:03 AM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

It is very nice. That said, my socks remain on my feet. I was hoping for a little more F Type (I suffered total loss of control over bodily functions upon seeing that little beauty - especially the new hard-top) and a little less XF (also very nice, but not stop-you-in-your-tracks awesome.) The F Type proves they still have a bottle of secret sauce - i guess they just don't sprinkle so much on the entry-level vehicle.

If it really gets here with AWD and a 340hp or 380hp R spec I'm going to look at it very carefully. But by then, maybe I can swing a gently used F coupe...

Old 09-10-2014, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 346 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
Exactly the same thought crossed my mind when I saw the early coverage yesterday afternoon and the photos in the UK press last night.

Graham
And that is exactly why I had to have my brand new XKRS in 2012 MY2013 paint correct off the boat! Nothing comes perfect from the factory you must do that yourself (or like me pay to have it done)

JimC64 (09-10-2014)

Quick Reply: Jaguar XE launch London Sept 2014 - Start to Finish