X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

jaguar xtype wont start when it stalls out.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jaguar xtype wont start when it stalls out.

hi.
I have a jaguar xtype 2002 3.0. when its cold seems to idle funny then stall and wont restart.
ive taken it to the garage and had the ignition switch replaced 3 times as they thought that was why. when its replaced it starts back up. so they said it must be a short. Jaguar just looked at it and sais there is no short that they can find and it was starting at that time.
that was yesterday.
this morning it stalled out and once again wont start.
Can anyone please tell me what they think this could be.
I just recently got laid off of work and spent my last 1200$ trying to fix this so I can find another job.
PLEASE HELP
Thanks
Russ.
If you want you can email me at raaltif@gmail.com

Old 01-19-2014, 10:43 AM

or just reply here on the forum. Sorry this is my very first post.
Like I said if anyone can help let me know what this is I would really really appreciate it more than you can imagine.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:44 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,821 Likes on 3,142 Posts

raltif, I want you to humor me and try something. When the car will not start, turn the ignition key from OFF to "RUN" (do not go to START) and let it set for 5 seconds. If you listen closely, you should hear the fuel pump run and possibly turn off. After the 5 seconds, now turn the key to START and see if the car will start at this point. If it does, then you have a fuel pump that is going out on you. If you don't hear the fuel pump, you can try repeating this but with a person over by the passenger rear door with their ear near the bottom of the car. If you don't hear the pump then, you have a problem with power getting to the fuel pump or the fuel pump itself is bad. Normally when the pump starts to go, it will not be able to pump up the pressure quick enough to get the engine running if you roll the key quickly. Taking the few seconds to let it build up pressure can make a big difference.

How are you with a multimeter. We can troubleshoot things so you can prove what is good and what isn't. That way you know what needs to be replaced and what doesn't. Sounds like a shop took you for a ride. But, I don't know the whole story either.

The following users liked this post:
raltif (01-19-2014)
Old 01-19-2014, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
raltif, I want you to humor me and try something. When the car will not start, turn the ignition key from OFF to "RUN" (do not go to START) and let it set for 5 seconds. If you listen closely, you should hear the fuel pump run and possibly turn off. After the 5 seconds, now turn the key to START and see if the car will start at this point. If it does, then you have a fuel pump that is going out on you. If you don't hear the fuel pump, you can try repeating this but with a person over by the passenger rear door with their ear near the bottom of the car. If you don't hear the pump then, you have a problem with power getting to the fuel pump or the fuel pump itself is bad. Normally when the pump starts to go, it will not be able to pump up the pressure quick enough to get the engine running if you roll the key quickly. Taking the few seconds to let it build up pressure can make a big difference.

How are you with a multimeter. We can troubleshoot things so you can prove what is good and what isn't. That way you know what needs to be replaced and what doesn't. Sounds like a shop took you for a ride. But, I don't know the whole story either.

Thermo,
Thank You for taking the time out to respond. I just tried what you had suggested and it still did not start. When the ignition is in the run position, I do hear a thud in the back rear of the car. I do have a feeling the shop took me for a ride, but it wouldn't be the first time. As of the multimeter I can't even say I used one lol. I do know that if I replace the ignition switch it seems to start temporarily. Does this make any sense to you at all?