X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key Stuck in ignition. please help

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 07:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Key Stuck in ignition. please help

Last night i friend of mine brought me the new fob keys to my 04 x type. As excited as i was i put the key right in the ignition. Now it wont come out. it is the right cut because it allows me to turn on all of my acessories, the message screen tells me security failed and it just wont come out. Tried the whole wheel jiggle, shifter jiggle, brake pump. Is there actually a security mechinism that locks the key in the ignition if security fails? any other tricks to get the key out? new to Jag, only had the car 4 days lol Any help would be very appreciated

Old 08-25-2009, 08:32 AM
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Joeybronko,

Did you have the keys programmed?

steven (1avguy)

Old 08-25-2009, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Perhaps try to disconnect the battery?

Old 08-25-2009, 12:00 PM

I did disconnect the battery. I ended up calling service this morning and they informed me that when the keys are first cut overseas, besides programming you should rub a little wire brush on it to soften it up a little bit, thats probably why it got stuck. there is no security mechanism that locks it in. also, had i broke the cylender trying to get it out thats a big deal to replace, so i send the car flatbed to Jag for the pros to take care of. serves me right for being to excited and neglecting to program the key or ask questions lol. thanks so much for your responses. I am new here and it means alot.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:21 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

It is easy to get excited about these cars joey, I hope your first week of ownership won't cost you too much...cash or a headache.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:15 AM

so in the end, trying to get the stuck key out i broke the cylender, replacement of cylender parts and labor, cost to reprogram all keys over, $455. lol lesson learned

Old 08-26-2009, 10:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just ordered mine, the ignition lock is getting stucked some time, especially in the winter. I put some graphite liquid inside, works fine for the moment but the new one just arrived from England. Cost me 170 for the part and they said another 150 CAD for the labor.

regards,

Old 01-20-2012, 04:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok here we go a new problem. i am having a difficult time with my ignation key not turning all the way to the off positioin, so i can remove it from the ignation. sometimes im able to get it out by slamming the gear shift into park and then i still struggle getting it to release. sometime is will sometime i want. im afraid to drive it anywhere for fear i want be able to get it out so i can lock the car when i go in somewhere. eventually if i play and cuss it long enough it will turn off but its very annnoying. sometimes i will drive it around a parking lot forward then reverse , then slam it into park. like i said eventually it will turn off but is a major problem. any suggestion or help????

Old 01-20-2012, 05:25 PM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

Adjust your gearbox selector lever cable and make sure the selector lever cable to the column lock is lubed and free from binding.

Pull the right side console trim and you will see the cables.

That is where I would start.

bob gauff

The following 2 users liked this post by motorcarman:
Bill400 (06-07-2023), superpup (01-21-2012)
Old 01-21-2012, 09:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Bob, thanks for your reply and you are exactly right. As a matter of fact the entire cable was loose and i found the screw that had fallen out of the connection that holds the cable in place and now she is operation like a charm. Thanks so much for your reply and solution. Have a great day ahead. Chris

Old 08-17-2014, 08:50 AM
Unhappy New key stuck in ignition

I have the same problem as joeybronco. Just returned from trip to UK where I picked up a new black master key for my 2004 XJ8 as like so many other people only received one key plus valet key when I bought the car from 2nd hand dealer. Key works fine in trunk and door so tried it in the ignition before deciding to attempt programming. Key went in fine and turns forward and backward but will not come out when turned fully back. Car now stuck on driveway with new key in ignition. Key pulls out of ignition cylinder so far that I can just see the start of the machined key section but is firmly stuck then. Have tried turning, wiggling, pushing key in, pulling it out hoping to wear down any sharp edges but still stuck. Just answer reply to X-type query suggests removing the ignition cylinder, is this relatively straight forward and is this likely to help?

Thank goodness new key allowed me to disengage parking brake so at least I could push car out of the way of others in garage.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated as nearest Jag dealer some distance away.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:32 PM
Smile Problem solved

After stripping out the centre console and a good part of the dash, imaged to remove the ignition switch by taking out the three screws that secure the ignition switch mounting bracket to the dash. After releasing the large electrical connector on the back of the switch, the small green electrical connector to the exciter ring for the immobiliser and the gear selector interlock cable, it becomes obvious that the switch clips into the resting bracket. The securing clip needs quite a lot of force to release and is on the top of the switch assembly. It should be possible to get the switch out by only removing the shrouds below the steering wheel, removing the large electrical connector from the back of the switch and the popping it out of the bracket. Getting the cylinder out of the switch is quite easy, first turn the key to position 1 and then depress the resting pin which is beneath the circuit board for the immobiliser exciter ring. The lock cylinder pulls out quite easily.

Once the cylinder is out there is more scope for wiggling to remove the stuck key which took about two minutes. Not bad for four hours effort stripping the car interior to get the switch out. Once the process was learned everything save the cylinder went back in less than 30 minutes.

The key door of the cylinder is obviously damaged so the cylinder is off yo a locksmith for checking and hopefully repair. I'll post a recommendation for the locksmith if this is successful, since even after softening the edges of the new key, whilst better is sometimes still stuck in the cylinder.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:02 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default key stuck in ignition as well.

The bayonet key in my '06 xjr got stuck in the ignition and only with a lot of pulling and twisting did I get it out. I added some HD 40 and inserted the key, it goes all the way in but will not turn. Can not start the car nor move the shift lever out of Park I stopped by a local repair shop who works on classic cars including Jaguar. They contacted the nearest Jag dealer who says they will provide a new barrel matched to my keys. The problem I have is how am I going to move this car the approximate 5 miles to have the switch and barrel replaced.
It appears the front wheels are not locked in place as they still move, so if the car is raised and placed rear wheels on a dolly and towed 5 miles, that might be OK? Any thoughts on this? The new barrel, ignition system cost $560 not including labor. WOW.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:25 AM
Smile Problem almost solved

ACM Locksmith Group in Atlanta Georgia, sales@acmlocksmithgroup.com ( ask for Al), did a great job of rebuilding the lock cylinder so that they key no longer sticks. Returned the cylinder the same day they received it from me so car only out of action for a few days whilst I was any on business trip.

Have decided to buy a new matched cylinder just in case the old one plays up again. About $150 through a Jag dealer in UK. Will pick it up on my next trip over there.

Only problem now is that the electronic park brake does not automatically engage when key removed and dash warning shows park brake fault. Also auto return of the seat and steering wheel does not work unless key pushed hard into old cylinder against spring pressure. I suspect this is all related so will try to solve once new cylinder arrives.

Old 05-09-2023, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Joeybronko
Last night i friend of mine brought me the new fob keys to my 04 x type. As excited as i was i put the key right in the ignition. Now it wont come out. it is the right cut because it allows me to turn on all of my acessories, the message screen tells me security failed and it just wont come out. Tried the whole wheel jiggle, shifter jiggle, brake pump. Is there actually a security mechinism that locks the key in the ignition if security fails? any other tricks to get the key out? new to Jag, only had the car 4 days lol Any help would be very appreciated
To remove key from ignition... pop the hood and take off the negative battery terminal. once the cable is off the key needs to be turn slightly forward, then back to the off position then the key will be removed.

Old 06-05-2023, 07:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Joeybronko
  1. Check the key position: Ensure that the key is fully turned to the "off" position and try gently wiggling it while attempting to remove it. Sometimes, the key can get stuck due to a misalignment or partial turn.
  2. Battery voltage: Verify that the battery voltage is sufficient. In some cases, low battery voltage can cause security-related issues and prevent the key from being released.
  3. Try a different key: If you have access to another fob key, try using it to see if the issue persists. It's possible that there may be an issue with the specific key you're using.
  4. Contact Jaguar dealership or locksmith: Given that you've recently acquired the car, it's recommended to reach out to a Jaguar dealership or a professional locksmith with experience working on Jaguar vehicles. They will have the expertise and specialized tools to diagnose and resolve the issue effectively.
It's worth noting that the immobilizer system in some vehicles can prevent the key from being removed if there is a security-related problem. Therefore, it's essential to have the system checked and potentially reset or reprogrammed if needed.

Remember to exercise caution when attempting any troubleshooting steps, and if you're unsure or uncomfortable with performing them, it's best to seek professional assistance to avoid causing any further damage.

Old 06-07-2023, 09:27 AM
Received 284 Likes on 160 Posts

It's nice of you to help Joeybronko, but he last posted on Jaguar Forums October 2009.

For anyone struggling with an X-Type ignition lock problem, see post #9 above.

Old 06-09-2023, 08:36 PM
Banned

@Bill400 Sorry it's my bad