X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keyless Entry

Old 06-07-2010, 06:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Keyless Entry

Earlier today my keyless entry stopped working and now I'm having to use the key in the door. I noticed the past few months in the morning i have to hold the key near the windshield on the drivers side for it to unlock. I would figure it would be the battery, but I went to Auto Zone earlier and the tester that I held the key up to acted like that battery was good. The battery hasn't been changed in a minimum of four years though. Any thoughts?

Old 06-07-2010, 07:53 PM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Change the battery

Change the battery. Mine started getting weak a few months ago - had to be right up close and press repeatedly to open (and i started using the key too). Thats the best possible solution to the issue. Its a standard battery (a buck or two at Radio Shack.)

Getting the key fob apart is twiky, but there are a couple of posts on that. The battery is underneath the circuit board inside the fob, and you'll need a really tiny phillips to get that off. After changing the battery you'll need to re-associate the fob with the car (posts on that too - wiat for full moon, turn ignition to accessory and back 4 times while chanting ancient Celtic curses, and a magical chime will sound - or something like that) but in about 20 minutes you'll know for sure.

Last edited by MeatBag; 06-07-2010 at 07:55 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:24 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Your battery is dead/dying. You pretty much answered your own question when you said that it hadn't been changed in over 4 years.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I replaced the battery. It still isn't working for me. Guessing now I need to have my key fob reprogrammed. I'm guessing static might of messed it up? These cars are really turning out to be junk.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:19 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by Stiffler4774
Well I replaced the battery. It still isn't working for me. Guessing now I need to have my key fob reprogrammed. I'm guessing static might of messed it up? These cars are really turning out to be junk.
I'm sorry you're having a problem with your keyless entry system. But this can happen in any make of car even those in the highest price range.
It certainly doesn't make your X-type or the whole X-type line pieces of JUNK!!!!!!!!

Old 06-08-2010, 06:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's probably the answer from the facts section here. I had the problem and this fixed it in less than a minute.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=2056

1 Insert key into ignition
2 Turn key to 'I"
3 Turn key "II" and back to 'I' quickly 4 times
4 Alarm system will chime once when key is back to 'I' for the
fourth time
5 Remove key from ignition
6 Press any button on each key fob and alarm system will chime
for each fob if it has been programmed correctly
7 Press unlock/lock/trunk etc to make sure everything works

Pay special attention to point 6, every fob you have must be programmed at the same time although you only need to use one key in ignition.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I have had a similar problem the last few days and I think it is something to do with my ignition. Got out the car the other day pressed the button to lock and it didnt. So pointed it directly to the sensor in windscreen and still nothing. Got in the car and and found I had left the indicator stork up and the steering lock was not on. So correct the two and hey presto the doors all locked again.
Next day same issue pulled up on the drive got out car & car would not lock. Got back in found that I had left nothing on but steering lock was not on nor would engage. So put key back in ignition turned it once then returned to zero pulled key out. Steering lock then engaged. Got out car and the keyfob worked again.

All seems a little strange but figured that maybe my ignition is not returning to zero properly or something. Either way it does not bother me too much as it only just started happening + I can still lock my doors.

Could be a similar problem you are having, who knows. I would guess just check your steering lock etc.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:47 PM
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bolly
So pointed it directly to the sensor in windscreen and still nothing.
The remote is RF?