X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knocking noise from rear when braking

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 08:25 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Knocking noise from rear when braking

I have a 2008 facelift model X-type 2.0D with 89,000 miles. The extended manufacturer's warranty expired a few days ago so I had the car checked out by the main dealer and no faults were found.

I took it for a drive yesterday and I noticed when braking at the end of the road there was a banging noise from the back of the car - almost the sound of something like a worn bush (I had a similar 'tapping on a biscuit tin' like sound from the back of my 1995 XJ6 X300 many years ago). However this noise is not present at all when driving without braking so I guess this must be some issue with the brakes.

It is very strange as the car was fine before. The only thing I noticed when reversing the car out the drive was that it felt as though a brake was sticking when I tried to move it. I hadn't used the car for a week or so before and I've had this issue before on my previous 2002 X-type 2.5.

I took out everything in the boot (spare wheel, toolkit etc) and the noise was still the same.

Greatly appreciate any advice/opinions - as I say the knocking noise is only present when braking, even at a very low speed.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:01 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

First off, welcome to the forums, I think you will find a lot of knowledgeable people around these parts. We are a chatty bunch, so, do not be afraid to keep coming back and sharing how things are going. We do ask though that you stop by the "New Member" section and introduce yourself. We are silly in the fact that we like to get to know each other. This is also a chance to learn who the movers and shakers are around here.

As for your issue, what I want you to try is finding a road that does a long sweeping turn that requires you to slow down to say roughly 40-60 KPH. As you are in the corner, try to make the car accelerate some (in a safe manner). Does the rear end of the car seem to want to jump out from under you? If so, you most likely have a bad lower control arm on the rear of the car. You will probably need to do this test making both a sweeping left and right turn to make sure the problem is properly located. The other thing that I would tell you to check is the tightness of your lugnuts. If they get loose, that can possibly cause a knocking noise. Finally, I would check the tightness of the bolts holding the caliper to the axle of the car. Check both the bolts holding the caliper to the support and the support to the axle. A little bit of looseness there can cause what you are hearing.

Hope this helps.