X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knocking noises from ABS

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 07:05 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Knocking noises from ABS

Hello, I have a 2001 2.5L V6 Petrol, Manual, 4WD x type.
For a few weeks I have noticed a knocking noise from the ABS when light braking at very slow speed. It seems as though the ABS is trying to release the bakes when it souldn't. A friend suggested that I may have a warped disk and it is causing the brake to bind as it goes round. It almost sounds like I have a broken disk which klonks as the crack hits the pad. At one point, the brakes came off completely on a hill, it was like driving on ice.

The noises have got a lot more dramatic recently and eventually the dashboard ABS light came on, after that, the brakes worked fine, no knocks, klonks or rumbles. However, after I stop the car and start it again, the ABS light has gone out and the knocking starts again, untill the ABS light comes back on.

The fault code is C1165, Rear Right hand ABS wheel sensor, I have tried cleaning it, but the problem persists. Has anyone experienced a similar problem and was it resolved successfuly?

Many thanks,

Graham.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:30 PM

Hello again,

I have replace the RR ABS sensor, but no improvement. I have ordered a pair of ABS reluctor rings, which apparently are a common problem on this car. I will post again once I have changed them.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
Lcgi (04-16-2013)
Old 04-21-2013, 11:05 AM

Hello again,

This weekend I removed the Rear Right hub assembly and found that the reluctor ring was loose on the shaft. Once I had taken the drive shaft out of the hub, the reluctor ring dropped on the floor. There was one complete section missing from the ring. I expect that this caused the ABS unit to think that the wheel was locking and it was trying to release the brakes.

I had purchased the new reluctor ring from ebay for £1.98. I had some difficulty getting it on; the CV joint had corroded quite a lot and was very uneven. I first cleaned the area for the reluctor ring with a wire brush in an angle grinder, but getting the ring on seemed impossible. I then used a grinding wheel to clean up the area, back to clean metal. It was then possible, by heating the new ring with a hot air gun, to tap it on with a small hammer. The original was about 3mm from the edge of the CV. After re-assembly, I went for a test drive and I am very pleased to say that there was no knocking klonking or rumbling and that the brakes worked perfectly, also the dashboard light remained off.

I am very pleased to have my Jag working properly again. I hope this post will be useful to anyone with a similar problem.

Graham.

The following users liked this post:
Lcgi (04-21-2013)
Old 04-22-2013, 04:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

Well done!

Old 04-22-2013, 07:15 AM

Thank You.