Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking clear fluid ... and engine sounds

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 01:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking clear fluid ... and engine sounds

Hey,

I have a 2004 X-type with 80k miles on it, I haven't had too much trouble with it, only had to replace the coolant resiviour as far as I can remember (bought it with 55k miles or so). Just yesterday I noticed a small "puddle" (8in X 8in) of fluid where my car had been parked; I noticed it as I backed it, and also noticed a steady line from dripping liquid where I had backed up (followed the way I turned etc.). I drove it home asap, parked it, and waited. The fluid drips from about where the front door hinge is; however, it's central on the car. Under the car, there is like a metal ... seemingly waffled sheet (a couple of them), and there is a little hole (seems factory cut, because it's very smooth, and couldn't be from a rock or anything) that it is dripping out of. I sampled the liquid, and it didn't smell like gasoline, in fact, it had no sent at all, and it was clear like water. It didn't fume at all either, and wasn't hot to the touch.

Anyone know if this is normal? I live in south Louisiana, so it's pretty humid, but it seemed like too much liquid to be condensation. There are no warning lights on in the car either.

Second, I have been having an engine "noise" for quite a while, and just never payed attention to it. I usually have the radio on, so it muffles the engine sound. When I'm accelerating, you can't really hear it, and if you can, its in a stable, constant rhythm. And when you put it on cruise control at what ever speed, it is in a stable, constant rhythm. It's when you start decelerating, you hear this "whoosh whoosh whoosh whoosh", maybe once every second or two, and as you decelerate it becomes at slower intervals, and maybe a bit loader (then again, I'm decelerating, and the engine is quieter than before). I use premium gas (93 Octante) the majority of the time; however, sometimes I'll put in the middle grade gas (it's either 91 or 89 octane, depending on where I'm at).

Thanks!

Old 08-21-2009, 04:37 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

Fedekz, the clear liquid that you are seeing is from the A/C system. You can get an especially large volume if you have a slight blockage and the blockage suddenly clears. if you are thinking that you may have a blockage, then using a bit of Lysol will help clear up this issue.

As for the noise, look through the forums. A few other people have had similar issues. I don't recall right off the top of my head what it is. So, I don't want to scare you with "I seem to remember" pot shots.

Old 08-26-2009, 04:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thermo - the leaking was exactly what you said - the AC. Thank you.

As for the noise, I took it into my jaguar dealership, and had them drive it. They said it was abnormal, and they took it in their shop - it turned out that both my wheel bearings on my front tires were extremely bad, and had to be replaced. There was a squeaking from the back that sounded like a little bird - he explained it as the E-brake cables were rubbing with a neoprine tubing, and the neoprine got dry, and was causing friction with the cable, and just needed to be lubricated. And there was another "noise" that was coming from the front of the car apparently; turned out to be a lower suspension arm or something like that, I don't have the paperwork here, but it was something about an suspension arm.

Just thought that my story may help someone if they have the same problem!