Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking Washer Bottle or pipes

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 05:01 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Leaking Washer Bottle or pipes

Hi all

Just after a bit of quick advice on my 2004 X-type 2.0 Diesel Saloon, I'm 80 miles from home and cannot get under the car until I get home tonight.

As I was filling up this morning about 60 miles in to my 80 mile journey and I noticed liquid on the floor, so I got on the floor to look under the car and there was a drip coming off the back of the covers under the engine and I have not driven through any water.

I got over to the side of the garage and popped the bonnet, coolant looks fine, and the liquid looks more like water than coolant, so I filled up the washer fluid bottle, and set back off keeping an eye on my temp gauge and on the floor behind me to see if there was anything more substantial coming out, I finished the journey, and checked underneath and the drip is still there, popped the bonnet and the coolant is still ok but the washer bottle has gone down nearly an inch PHEW, not the coolant then.

I don't need an in depth guide with pics (but that would be welcomed if offered ) and I'm used to getting under my cars but this will be the first time under the Jag and by the time I get home and get changed I won't have too much light left, so can anyone give me a couple of pointers on how to remove the cover things from under the engine as I am sure there are common pitfalls and perhaps techniques as the fasteners are probably rusted by now, and also an idea of where the pipes from the washer go? so I can get to work a bit more quickly.

Many thanks in advance.

Still loving the car, had it 4 and half weeks and done 3,000 miles in it now and it's just a pleasure to drive.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:48 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,924 Likes on 3,223 Posts

stretchie, from what you are describing, it may be something normal. I bet you were running your A/C at the time. If the drip is coming from where the firewall is, then this is most likely it. I would say that if you can, get the drip to happen, get a small puddle, then move the car so you can touch the fluid after the fact. If the fluid is clear and has no smell, then odds are it is just condensation from your A/C system. If it is orange or green, then that is coolant and odds are it is coming from a cracked nipple on the overflow bottle (not likely since you mention the overflow bottle has a constant level). If it is a light blue, then that would be washer fluid most likely. But, the washer fluid would most likely be coming from in front of your driver's side front tire, not along the firewall.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:12 AM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I agree, it COULD be condensation from the AC unit, if so, then that is perfectly normal. As Thermo said, if it's clear then it's condensation, if anything else, then investigate the issue.

But if it is the washer bottle or hoses, then access to it is through the wheel well. Jack the car, remove the right front tire, remove the plastic wheel well, and the washer bottle is right there.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:37 AM

Cheers guys, will check it out tonight

Old 05-28-2015, 11:26 AM

Thank you very much for you help guys

Old 05-28-2015, 01:22 PM
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

To check your washer bottle you need to get behind the drivers side wheel arch liner. 3 bolts if I remember correctly. The pump is just a push fit into the rubber grommet so could also be the culprit. That's assuming you didn't wash your windscreen to cause the level to drop.