X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Limp mode question..New member Dr Doug. 2003 x type 3.0 sedan. A weekend project car.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 06:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Limp mode question..New member Dr Doug. 2003 x type 3.0 sedan. A weekend project car.

Just changed coils, plugs, upper intake gaskets. Stiched everything back together, dash messages say 'gearbox failure', 'engine systems failure 'dsc failure', 'cruise unavailable'. I know I didn't screw up the transmission and am sure I put the engine back together right. I'm guessing vacuum somewhere, brake booster vac is broken. And a sensor must be whack. It's in limp mode. Any ideas. I'll probably take it to a shop, but I want to sound a bit more knowledgeable. Ideas?

Old 04-23-2018, 06:44 PM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

You've already posted an Intro so I've moved your question from New Member Area - Intro a MUST to X-Type forum. This is the place to post technical questions about your model.

Graham

Old 04-23-2018, 07:43 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

Dougl, if your brake booster line is broken, that can cause what you are seeing as it relates to the limp mode and cruise unavailable. It may be also possible that you pinched an o-ring and you have a major vacuum leak. This is where I would recommend finding yourself a nice cigar and smoking it (or getting a friend to "take one for the team"). You then want to take a good puff and with the engine running (preferably cold with the A/C-heat turned off so the fans do not run), gently blow the smoke into the engine bay. You can then watch the smoke roll through the engine bay and watch for where it makes a sudden direction change. That would be pointing to your vacuum leak.

The other thing that I would recommend you do is get your hands on a code reader and plug it into the port under the steering wheel. Read the codes. That will give us a pretty good idea of what issues you may have and help give you a starting point to resolve the DSC failure. That may also resolve the gearbox failure too.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks.... will do

Originally Posted by Thermo
Dougl, if your brake booster line is broken, that can cause what you are seeing as it relates to the limp mode and cruise unavailable. It may be also possible that you pinched an o-ring and you have a major vacuum leak. This is where I would recommend finding yourself a nice cigar and smoking it (or getting a friend to "take one for the team"). You then want to take a good puff and with the engine running (preferably cold with the A/C-heat turned off so the fans do not run), gently blow the smoke into the engine bay. You can then watch the smoke roll through the engine bay and watch for where it makes a sudden direction change. That would be pointing to your vacuum leak.

The other thing that I would recommend you do is get your hands on a code reader and plug it into the port under the steering wheel. Read the codes. That will give us a pretty good idea of what issues you may have and help give you a starting point to resolve the DSC failure. That may also resolve the gearbox failure too.

sounds reasonable and all those things are possible to be sure. Think I'll try dry ice fog. I have the reader, let me get the most recent set of codes.