X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

the little things

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 10:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question the little things

Took my jag in for an oil change,,and of course well up on the hoist.i was showed that my calipers need oil..Can i do it my self.somehow..he said i would need a new fuel filter as jag reccamends replacing it every 100000k.As well some belt.which i could see from under the car ,it was on the passenger's side near the front.The biggie new tires and brakes...I am willing to let him put on the tires and rotors as I dont have the means to do so .but ..........I sure i can do the little things with your help....oh ya and he didnt relace my air filter...just cleaned it..lol..I know there is a lubricant i can grt for the brakes..any way...again I cant seem to ask 1 question at a time...Thanx lads

Old 03-05-2010, 11:14 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

(1) Caliper oil? - Maybe he meant grease? It lubricates the pistons of the calipers...and you could do this yourself. Its not rocket science.

(2) Fuel filter - personal preference, maybe over there, it wouldn't hurt. Let them do it, its a cheap part, not much labor.

(3) Tires - any tire shop can get you a better deal than where you took it. That's there specialty, so markup is less and you'll have more selection. Don't forget, new tires mean a new alignment...don't forget that, it will ensure longevity of your new rubber.

(4) Rotors - if you're not comfortable removing the tires, brake calipers and rotor, let someone else do it. It can take some effort if bolts are overtightened, or seized with corrosion. I end up with knuckle damage ever time I do this little project.

Maybe others will give more adivce.

Old 03-06-2010, 05:20 PM

ok so how excataly would i lube my pistons and calipers..Im a noobie.so talk slow lol

Old 03-07-2010, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Before we go through the full description, are you comfortable safely jacking the car up, removing the tire, and disassmbling the brakes?

There is no sense in you lubricating the caliper sliders if either you are having someone replace your rotors/brakes, or somebody just did replace your rotors/brakes, as lubricating the caliper is part of the brake job. So either it is already done (if they did a decent job) or it will be done soon....

Replace your air filter if it hasn't been done in the last year or so. Cheap and easy. Paper style filters (OEM) are use and discard, not properly clean-able.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:23 AM

No .i dont think i have the know how to rip apart calipers...darn..it seems my brakes are very grabby.its getting worse..and due to a wonderful new son,,my bank is a little low.lol,,he also metioned parking brake was dry,.is there antthing i can do ?

Old 03-08-2010, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member

So you are or are not getting new rotors/pads done on the car?

Here is a link to my blog that has a description of doing a front brake job - it covers just about all the elements you need to know if you are just lubricating the sliders. http://mydrive.roadfly.com/blog/ChrisX/

The parking brake is dry...did he mean the cable?

Congrat's on the new kiddo, btw. May as well start training him to be your garage helper!

Old 03-08-2010, 02:05 PM

where the parking brake connects to ..looks like a metal bracket..where it slides in?.He did ask all the right Q's about prior service..so as to find out how much i knew about the car,think thats why he suggested so mant thing's ..any way thermo this is what the"next time I go in sheet says...air filter replacement..(looking for a fram now)..,front brakes,,(which i dont think i can do on my own)..,service rear brakes..(he suggested this to save me money),but said do rear brakes as well at later date.brake fluid flush...(can i do this one?) differential oil service..(can I do this one),transsmission service..(maybe this one too) power sterring flush..(sure i can do this one)...keep in mind I'm assuming these are drain and fill jobs..or require just wrench turning,,but brakes i know are trickey..is it possible to do the rest,,

Old 03-08-2010, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member

Brakes are pretty simple on this car. The rears can be a bugger because you have to turn the caliper pistons in to get them to retract, but there are writups on here to do the rears. For the fronts just follow my instructions or search here, other members have written them up too. If this guy wants to do your rear brakes for cheap, makes sure he knows to rotate them and which direction, not to just try to force them in.

The air filter will take 5 minutes, maybe. You can do that.

I guess he is meaning you need to lubricate the parking brake cable, where it hangs in the bracket. You can do that with some penetrating oil squirted on the exposed portion of the cable and then work the parking brake handle.

There are a bunch of good writeups on here for the tranny and xfer case and diff fluid servicing, do a search and ye shall find. They are not as simple as they may seem on this car, however. I find the front brakes to be one of the easiest items to complete.

There are a few methods to bleed the brakes for flushing, I prefer to use a Mity Vac handheld pump with a collection cup (comes with the vac) to suck the fluid out via the bleeder nipple at each wheel, starting with the right rear, then left rear, then right front, then left front. You can do the pump and turn the bleeder method with a helper but that's the hard way. A vac pump can be had for less than $50.

A power steering flush is a little out of the ordinary if you ask me, how many miles are on your car?

Old 03-09-2010, 10:48 AM

I'll searh the post's foer rear...while I'm on the front I might as well do rotor's as well...can't be that hard i hope..as for milage...think im at 128000k.I'll get some penetrating oil and look into that pump..search post for xfer and transmission flush..are you usung fram's might ya have a model # for the irishman.?

Old 03-09-2010, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member

Just about any major auto parts store will have the air filter in stock. Since you are up in Canada I don't know what your options are.

Here are some PN's for air filters: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...381193k1596626