X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locked keys in Trunk

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 12:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locked keys in Trunk

So, let's just start off by mentioning that I'm a complete idiot, and not harping on the issue about how stupid I've been tonight.

I took the laundry down to my wife's car (2003 X-Type), popped the trunk, put the laundry in, then closed it... with the key fob sitting in the laundry basket.

I paid a nice fellow $40 to come and unlock the car, only to be told that the Jaguar has no way to pop the trunk without the key fob. Nor any way to bring the seats down to get to the trunk. My wife was most eloquent at this point, with many fine metaphores and adjectives that were most descriptive of me.

In order to return some semblence of my self-esteem, and to help me have a chance of getting laid sometime prior to 2009, does anyone here know how to get the key fob out of the trunk? She has a basic 2003 X-Type, with no optional items at all.

Old 11-02-2008, 12:27 AM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Locked keys in Trunk

Where is the other key fob?

Old 11-02-2008, 06:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Posted about when I did this in mine a few years back.Its possible to get in by putting some masking tape over the rh door and front wing to avpod damage to the paintwork.The small gap has the door wiring about half way up.If you can short out one of the wires with a metal rod or similar the door locks (unfortunately not the bootlid) open.When you open a door the alarm will go off for a while but at least you will have access.From inside the cabin you can then remove the rear seat base and then back rest and reach in to grab the basket.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:56 AM

ORIGINAL: Dennis

Where is the other key fob?
Well, if she had another Fob, I wouldn't be in a pickle, eh?

ORIGINAL: BuckMR2

From inside the cabin you can then remove the rear seat base and then back rest and reach in to grab the basket.
Would you happen to know where I can find instructions on removing the seat? I crawled around in the back for an hour... but I don't know diddly about cars, just computers. Nor do I have tools really, beyond pliers, adjustable wrench, and a couple screwdrivers.

Old 11-02-2008, 12:37 PM

I was able to lift the base of the backseat, but only part way... the front end of the seat is attached in a manner I cannot divine, and I fear to break it if I pull harder. Nor have I been able to see screws or catches to release that would let me remove the vertical portion of the rear seat.

The center, behind the fold-down drink holder, does pull aside though. Behind it is fabric which seems likely to be the back of the trunk area. I could potentially cut into the trunk, being as the slit would be invisible, but again I'd like to avoid damaging her car until it is absolutely necessary.

Old 11-02-2008, 01:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

You need to pull the centre front of the seat cushionup sharply.
There are 2 clips that hold it in place.
Once the cushion is off you will see 2 Torx screws at the base of the backrest which once removed allow the backrest to be removed.
If only we had the split fold rear seats and spare fobs at the time.
Instructions can be downloaded from here
http://www.ownerinfo.jaguar.com/extf...prod/index.jsp
The rear seat removal isin the 491_SK1X4315A866ABparkrevROW document under pdc fitting instructions but it just shows very basicly one arrow showing the base to be lifted up and another showing the backrest to be removed.

Old 11-02-2008, 03:59 PM

First I do want to thank you for all your help so far BuckMR2.

Second, I went out and bought a Torque bit (size 50 for anyone else who happens to find this post some year in the future), and was able to get the back bolts at the bottom off. I removed 6 bolts, rather than 2, but I think the ones that were on the black pieces of metal could have been left on... I only needed to remove the ones on the two shiny steel plates. However, now I cannot figure out how the top of the seat is attached... I tried pulling it forward with a swift yank, like the front edge of the seat bottom, but it did not release.

I could not find the document you referenced, 91_SK1X4315A866ABparkrevROW, regarding pdc fitting. I looked through a bunch of the documents listed on the Jaguar site you linked to and did not see any that described rear seat removal. Could you give me one last bit of help, either by pointing me to the right document, or by telling me how the top edge of the back rest detaches?

Thank you very much.

Old 11-02-2008, 04:22 PM
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

myrddine:
Dood... I feel your pain.
Unfortunately, I am of zero help here.....
but I just wanted you to know that I was thinking about ya.....

Old 11-02-2008, 11:03 PM

ORIGINAL: bojangles

I dont understand the problem.
Shall I refer you back to your comments about this?

My car does the same as Myrddine's; The trunk does not always open, just because the doors are unlocked / open.
As a matter of fact, I have discovered that sometimes, I have to get in the car and start the motor, only briefly, then shut it back off before I can open the trunk.
I have no idea why. Some sequence of events renders the trunk un-openable, and cycling of the motor (start/stop) resets it.
WHY??? Ya got me.... I've no idea.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:16 PM

First, McJaguar is correct. The trunk is not always open when the doors are unlocked. Specifically, when the security system is engaged simply unlocking the doors will not open the trunk. And just getting into your car doesn't disengage the security (otherwise it wouldn't be very secure, would it). Unlocking the car using the fob, or starting the car properly, disengages the security. Since I broke into the car with the help of a locksmith, the security was still armed, and thus the trunk remained closed.

Secondly, with the help of a couple friends who are far more mechanically savvy than I, I was able to get the backrest off, and get into my trunk to get the keys. For the benefit of any future readers here via Google, once the two screws are removed you have to lift the backrest up about one inch to remove it. Once the back was off, and a corner of the backing shoved aside, it was a matter of simply reaching into the basket and picking up the key fob. Very anti-climactic.

Thank you very much BuckMR2, I wouldn't have been able to do it without you. And I think I know one of the gifts my wife is getting for Christmas... not the first time I've given her a gift that I'll appreciate as much or more than she will. :-) Nothing says love like a spare key.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:20 PM

An excellent tip, Bo.
Thanks! I'll try it next time.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:27 PM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Cool..makes sense..Cuz mine I tried in light of this topic and never had this issue (Auto)..So with a manual, it makes sense..Good one Bo..