X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy Positive Battery cable to Alternator.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 11:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Looking to buy Positive Battery cable to Alternator.

Just called the Okc dealership for a positive battery cable to alternator and was told they didn't carry it as a stand alone item. Technician said cost for positive cable also included fuse box assembly for a grand total of $690. Negative Cable went for $112 though. Situation is that l experience a yo-yo idle needle in very cold weather with hesitation until it smooths itself out. Then my left turn signal blinks at a faster rate than the right. I even seen the check engine light once but it cycled off. Took the car to be diagnosed by autozone in what l think to be a electrical issue and found no codes being displayed. I got misdiagnosed by the tech (and by a couple of different mechanic shops as well after that). It seemed the regulator inside the alternator was overcharging the battery causing it to go haywire. I replaced battery/alternator and still experienced the voltage drop described in other threads (14.9 to 13.2v). Now l've got a perfectly fine factory battery/alternator sitting on the shelf (should have visited this site before starting anything!!!).The only thing left is the cables which don't run hot though. I've found jaguarparts.com sells them for $52 but is that the battery to starter cable? I have not seen anything that says specifically alternator to terminal yet. I don't wanna splice it l don't have to...

Old 01-16-2011, 11:55 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you dont have to buy jaguar ones, and you will actually open your option of what batteries you can replace with because the jag terminal;s are in crappy spots lol.

take the cables off and go to a parts store like nappa, you will need cables that offer a add on for another wire to run to your fuse box.. that fuse box wire cost me 14, the main power wires alternator to battery i didnt buy but it was about the same price.

The following users liked this post:
Willchill (01-18-2011)
Old 01-18-2011, 08:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks mike l think l'll go that route. Never mind, found out it the car uses 16 guage wire.

Last edited by Willchill; 01-18-2011 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Found answer
Old 01-18-2011, 08:39 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if you go to nappa (i think there is nappa in usa) they have a bunch of pre made battery cables. i think most are a standard 4 gauge or close to it..its just lenght and terminal ends that are the differences.
you may want to also replace the positive going from battery into fuse box...it was very easy and only cost $15. all i had to do was bend 1 end almost 90 degrees so it would fit how the original did.
i didnt take any pics of how i bent it but it was very straightforward. just unbolt the fuse box, lift it up and then 1 bolt holds the main power wire in. when you pull it out use that so you now how to bend the end.
i grabbed the longest wire they had which was more than i needed but it wasnt excessive.

for the cable from alternator to battery, just remember you need to be able to attach a wire onto it...most bat cables dont have a bolt on it you can add onto.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=47889
bat cable i replaced thread.