X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at buying an x-type

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 03:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Looking at buying an x-type

So after owning 2 volvos a 02 passat 4 audi's and a explorer I think it is time for a change. I have had great luck with volvo but not a fan of the styling on the newer ones and ok luck with audi. AWD is a must have where I live (Alaska) so I am looking to buy one in Seattle drive up. I have done lots of searching here and found I should buy 04+ models. I will buy the 3.0 but I know nothing about jags except they are ford based (so I think) so my local ford dealer (Cal Worthington) should be of help. I hope these are good cars.

Old 12-31-2011, 03:56 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

Kyle, welcome to the forums. As Iam sure you have found in the forums, as long as you drive the car sensibly, the transfer case will last you a long time. Be hard on the gas or decide to start doing donuts some where, you are likely to find that replacing the transfer case will be an expensive case. As for getting your parts through a Ford dealership, don't be holding your breathe too much. Some parts (air cleaner, MAF sensor, rotors, etc) can probably be obtained by knowing which car to ask about (Ford Modeo). But, a lot of the parts are not going to be carried by Ford and you will be forced to go to a dealership to get them. In your case, a sponsor here should be able to help you out (Nalley Jaguar). Working on the cars is just like any other Ford product. They are not that difficult to work on. But, getting parts can be fun.

I think you will find the car to be very capable and reliable, but if you kick the kitty, the kitty is going to bite back (in your wallet).

Old 12-31-2011, 04:04 PM

lol I have an 05 Audi Allroad with the 2.7 v6 bi-turbo. I drive like a granny 99% of the time to same the turbos. I have only used sport mode 2 times in the years of owing it.

Old 12-31-2011, 04:19 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have had Audi's you are used to repairs. I would buy the latest X-type you can afford. They are a great car and Thermo gave you good advice.

Good luck!

Old 01-02-2012, 10:32 AM

Thermo, as an Xtpe owner myself I found your response to this poster very helpful myself. Now if I could just figure out a fair price on having output shaft seals replaced I would be thrilled.

Originally Posted by Thermo
Kyle, welcome to the forums. As Iam sure you have found in the forums, as long as you drive the car sensibly, the transfer case will last you a long time. Be hard on the gas or decide to start doing donuts some where, you are likely to find that replacing the transfer case will be an expensive case. As for getting your parts through a Ford dealership, don't be holding your breathe too much. Some parts (air cleaner, MAF sensor, rotors, etc) can probably be obtained by knowing which car to ask about (Ford Modeo). But, a lot of the parts are not going to be carried by Ford and you will be forced to go to a dealership to get them. In your case, a sponsor here should be able to help you out (Nalley Jaguar). Working on the cars is just like any other Ford product. They are not that difficult to work on. But, getting parts can be fun.

I think you will find the car to be very capable and reliable, but if you kick the kitty, the kitty is going to bite back (in your wallet).