Sponsored by:

Losing Coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 08:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Losing Coolant?

Folks,
2003 X-Type, 3.0L.
It seems like my coolant level keeps droping, but I don't see any sign of spillage/leakage underneath the vehicle?
No smoking while driving (i.e., like it is leaking somewhere and burning on the manifold, exhaust, etc.).
Anyone seen this before?
Vr,
LadyAce 1-2

Old 04-14-2014, 08:32 AM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

This was happening to me. Didn't know the cause of it. Then my coolant reservoir tank hose broke off, so I had to buy a new coolant tank. Those can crack and leak slowly too. Then my thermostat went out after I changed the tank. It turns out the thermostat can leak as well as the upper radiator hose it attaches too, so it's best to get the upper radiator hose with the thermostat. So I install that yesterday, thinking my problems were fixed. Then I look under the car and I see coolant dripping. I thought I just fixed it by changing the thermostat, but it turns out the leak is coming from the water pump's pulley wheel area. So now that needs to be changed, although the leak is just a slow drip occasionally, it is still leaking. So those are three or four things to check that are common leaking areas on the x-type. Try to look under the car while it's running or right after you shut it off and see if you can track down any drips. Keep an eye on your coolant level and make sure to keep it above the minimum level.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts

Hi Lady-Ace,

Sorry to hear of your issue, the leak could be a crack in the expansion tank or anywhere around the hoses in the coolant system??

A popular or rather regular symptom is the nipple at the rear of the tank towards the windscreen may be broken?

You may struggle to find it, but here are a few posts regarding coolant issues and may I suggest, you endevour to find the leak at the soonest opportunity as it may make things a lot worse!!

Whatever you do, make sure you are not too low on fluid, when driving as that could be tragic?

Congratulations on finding the fault now and we hope you win through, keep us posted as you are in the RIGHT PLACE!!

Regards, Stu
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...e-done-110370/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-inside-93548/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...leaking-60190/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...k-fixed-60618/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...leaking-60190/

Old 04-14-2014, 04:01 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

LadyAce, based on what you are saying, you have 1 of 2 issues more than likely. The more likely situation is that your water pump is starting to go and you are getting a slight amount of leakage from around the water pump shaft. If you open the hood of your car, look down behind the battery and there is a little pocket there that will tend to collect coolant if this is the case. If it is wet, then odds are, that is where you problem lies.

The other possible spot is the overflow bottle. If you look at the overflow bottle, along the firewall, you will see where a hose comes from the passenger side of the car, across the top of the motor, and into the bottle. Where the hose attaches to the bottle, this point will develop a crack in it and when the motor gets up to temp, can cause a small amount of fluid to leak out and result in a lowering level.

Where in VA are you? I am just over the VA/MD line and if you wanted to get a little dirty and fix the car yourself, let me know. I am down in California, MD. The water pump on this car is easy and can be done in an afternoon with no problems.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:21 PM
Received 152 Likes on 100 Posts

X2 on the water pump being the most likely cluprit, but a worn radiator cap can have the same symptoms so if it's original I'd swap that out as well.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Whats the latest LadyAce.......any feedback?

Old 04-18-2014, 08:25 AM
Default Reply to "Losing Coolant"

Jagsters,
Thanks for the overwhelming responses and advice (even to help fix the car!)!
I actually had a similar problem a while back and both the overflow tank & water pump were replace (this was actually the 2nd water pump that has been replaced!).
I've had a pretty busy week, so am just looking at this now.
I'll check out the tips on looking at the hoses and other links below.
I'll provide an update once I get through that.
Again, thank you very much!
1-2
P.S. Thermo, I'm in Fairfax, VA so who knows, maybe we'll turn wrenches together sometime!

The following users liked this post:
Stuart Beattie (04-18-2014)
Old 04-18-2014, 11:46 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

LadyAce, coming to the Pride of Jaguar meeting in early May. I will hopefully be there. It is right around the corner from you at the Kohls store.

Old 08-30-2014, 08:16 PM
Received 286 Likes on 234 Posts

Thanks to all your posts, which helped me find and fix a leaky coolant reservoir in my 2002 X-Type w/ 125 Kmiles. Hoping to return the favor, I've attached pictures of the stress cracks in my old reservoir - they are the dark lines in the otherwise white plastic. Look closely and you may even see dried coolant on the part number 1X43 8K218 and the Jaguar logo. FYI, the Jaguar part number is C2S 46861 or C2S46861.

The leak was slow, maybe a cup of coolant every 300 miles. It leaked only when the engine was hot, i.e., with the coolant system pressurized.

Your posts helped me diagnose the source of the leak:

1) Not the water pump: The leaked coolant collected near the firewall on the top of the transmission. If the leak was from the water pump, the coolant would have gathered under the battery, towards the front of the engine compartment.

2) Not the 3 hose connections to the reservoir: After a long drive while the engine remained hot, I carefully used a dry paper towel to touch the reservoir under all 3 hose connections. The towel remained dry, confirming the leak was somewhere else.

3) Bottom of the reservoir: So with the engine still hot from a long drive, I carefully reached under the reservoir with a dry paper towel. The towel became slightly damp with coolant leaked from stress cracks in the bottom of the reservoir. The leak was minimal, just enough to moisten a dry paper towel.

$39 for a new reservoir on eBay, and we're back on the road without leaks. I would not trust a use reservoir since older plastic is more prone to develop these stress cracks.

Thanks again for all your posts - they helped me find and fix this leak. Hopefully the attached pics will help the next person find and fix it even faster.

Attached Thumbnails Losing Coolant?-2014-08-17-11.37.49.jpg   Losing Coolant?-2014-08-17-11.37.59.jpg  

Last edited by dwclapp; 08-30-2014 at 08:19 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:59 AM

Folks,
Problem Solved!
Tremendous advice which is greatly appreciated.
It turned out that the winner of the most correct advice was "dwclapp" as the culprit was a cracked coolant reservoir.
The cracks were on the bottom of the reservoir, so I was unable to see them.
Strangely, I didn't notice any signs of the leaking coolant, but that was the problem.
Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions (and especially to dwclapp with the posted pictures).
Vr,
LA12

Old 09-01-2014, 08:33 AM
Received 286 Likes on 234 Posts

LadyAce12: You're welcome. The replacement reservoir I bought on eBay was from ImportPartsDepot for $38.45 including S&H.

www.ebay.com/itm/251536739261

The top two nipples have metal sleeve reinforcements inside. I can't attest to how long it will last, since I just installed it. But the seller's eBay feedback rounds to 100% positive on over 23,000 sales, so they must be doing something right.

Good luck.

Last edited by dwclapp; 09-01-2014 at 08:39 AM.