X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loss of anti freeze

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 11:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loss of anti freeze

I have had the unpleasant experience of my X-type overheating and blowing the nipple on the anti freeze reservoir. I have replaced the reservoir and the thermostat since I found that info on line. It has been running for 2 months no issue, then on the last real hot Sept Day I parked it in the garage and when I pulled out I found antifreeze on the floor. I see that is was seeping from various little hoses around the engine. I checked it after refilling it been running fine. I am concerned though that I am missing something and the next real hot day it will fail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:43 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

oseusa, based on the work that you have done, it is possible that you damaged the seal on the water pump and now that is leaking. If the main part of the coolant on the floor was on the driver's side (near the front bumper), then that would help confirm that the leak is coming from the water pump. Granted, this is still not ruling out the possibility of a leaking radiator or some other issue (old coolant hose developing a leak for example).

Old 09-16-2013, 06:38 AM
Default Coolant from around hoses and clamps

Thermo,
I have checked that, although only visually. but what I do indeed see visually is coolant (in the form of red crust-I am using dexcool) around some of the smaller hoses and clamps. I would certainly replace the water pump if needed.
I think at this point its time to drain all the coolant and flush the system to check for any blockage and then maybe a pressure test. Although I don't want to rupture anything in the system.

Thanks for the response.

Old 09-16-2013, 06:44 AM

Thermo,
What is the best way to go about flushing the system and be sure that indeed every area has been checked?

Old 09-16-2013, 09:48 AM
Default leaks

Thermo,
I failed to mention that the leaks are in other areas of the engine, wherever I found that redish white residue on the hoses, beneath it are the puddles either on the engine or the floor.

Old 09-16-2013, 02:00 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

oseusa, I would say to get yourself a bottle of radiator flush and first drain all the coolant you can out of the car. Then refill the system adding in 2 quarts of water, then radiator flush, then enough water to fill the system. From there, start up the car, get it up to temp, maybe even take it for a little spin around the block. Make sure to get the engine RPMs up some once the motor is warm to help flush any air out, but also to raise the system flow rate and pressure to help blast any garbage out. From there, park the car, shut off the engine and as soon as you can, start draining the coolant (careful, it will be very warm, use of rubber gloves may be advisable). Once the radiator is drained, refill with more water, run the engine for a few more minutes and then drain again. Then you should be able to do a final refill with antifreeze and be good. If you can get a kit that adds water and allows you to drain at the same time, all the better.

NOw, with all this being said, if you can use distilled water as much as possible, you will be better off later as the amount of impurities in the water will be significantly less and it will help maintain the amount of corrosion to a minimum. But, not everyone has access to special equipment like what I am talking about. So, at a minimum, refill the system using the antifreeze concentrate and distilled water or the 50/50 mix of antifreeze. Your call.

Old 09-16-2013, 05:02 PM

Thanks and I will do just that. Aside from that, what is the most common problem that can cause over pressure in the system, besides of course the system being clogged. When I first went at this I looked online and found the info it said that the thermostat would stay closed and it would cause the blowing of the nipple on the reservoir. Just wondering...thanks
Just trying to determine what I missed and what issues these carss might have to cause this.

Last edited by oseusa; 09-16-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh get this! the lil idiot doing his 60 point check on my engine decided to pull on that nipple and broke and didnt tell me..... about two days and I could smell the antifreeze burning on my engine. So I have a lil tip for those desiring to fondle parts they have no need putting their grimmie lil hands on Dont Touch just fix what I tell you too okay