Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lurching on Highway Passing

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 07:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lurching on Highway Passing

Hello,

I just drove my new 2002 (she chose me two weeks ago, 2nd owner, dealer serviced) x-type 5,000 miles (8,000 km) and when I step on the accelerator to pass, passing gear kicks in them stops, then kicks in, then pauses, then goes like snot.
I tried being gentle and it accelerates fine. It seems as if my kitty is unsure what I want to do. I'm not - I want to pass.

I did use cruise control a lot on the highway, and would turn it off when I wanted to pass. No CEL's.

She will be going in for a 144,000 km service shortly.

Any ideas?

It is almost as if the gas is cut off or the transmission is unsure how to proceed.

Thanks for your help!

Old 09-21-2011, 08:51 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Carl, it almost sounds like to me that you have a slight vacuum leak (not enough to trigger the CEL), but when you mash your foot down, the intake vacuum is dropping too low and it is causing the computer to question the reading. If the vacuum gets too low, the car will limit the output, which can be what you are seeing. Granted, could also be a dirty MAF sensor. A $5 can of MAF sensor cleaner would take care of any questions of that.

The other thing that I would tell you to try is to disconnect the battery, wait about 5 minutes and then reconnect the battery. This will force you to reprogram the windows (takes about 2 minutes total to do the windows, 1 window at a time, roll it down by holding the window control down, continue holding it down for 3-5 seconds after the window has stopped moving, hold the window button up till the window is fully closed and continue holding it in the close position for an additional 3-5 seconds, repeat for all windows).

By disconnecting the battery, you are wiping any memory that might be in the ECU and forcing the car to learn to how you are driving. The ECM/TCM computers learn how the car is being driven and will adapt somewhat to that style. If you drive dramatically different than the previous owner, the computer may be a little confused.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:46 PM

Thermo Thanks for the quick response!

I will disconnect as soon as I can.
I was wondering if my driving style is THAT different from the previous owner. Should I have the dealer reprogram what ever the thing that needs reprogramming--i.e transmission, or other computer? It has to go in for a major servicing 144,000 km (quoted around $2000.00 CAD at Calgary Jaguar)

Old 09-22-2011, 08:00 PM

Disconnected battery and cleaned terminal, white corrosion. Will drive and see what happens.

I did notice that there was a hissing from left of centre engine, possible vacuum leak, when engine is hot.

Will take kitty to highway tomorrow and see if it is vacuum or just old memory from previous owner.

Highway mileage has been over 30 mpg.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:07 PM

Well, I took Missy for a spin today and everything seemed fine.
Took Missy for a spin tonight, first part ok, second part had the lurching again.
Third part of evening trip was fine.

I tried quick passing acceleration on all trips.
Battery was disconnected.

Listened for hissing- seems I have to drive for a while to maybe hear it. Checked 3 hoses for leaks. How many are there?

Will buy MAF Sensor cleaner tomorrow - any brand in particular?

Thanks for the help.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:13 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Carl, if you are going to have a vacuum leak, 3 points to check. The hose running from the top of the intake to the brake booster, specifically around the bulb (check valve) in the center of the tube, the IMT valves (left side of engine, facing the passenger strut tower, they look like 10 CM black discs on the side of the intake), and the PCV valve tube running from the front valve cover back to the intake (need to remove the cover off of the engine and feel on the underside of the large diameter tube that is there).

I just recently had to replace my PCV valve hose because it had split. Car drove fine most of the time, just was getting periodic vacuum codes if I sat at idle for awhile.

As for MAF cleaner, they are all pretty much the same. Find what you can and go from there.