X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual gearbox problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 05:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual gearbox problems

I have problems with my 6 speed 2.2 diesel x type finding gear 6 from 5 and hard to find any gear when cold

Old 11-25-2011, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Nigel, to better diagnose the problem, it's better to know a little bit more about your problem. I personally have never seen the 6 spd manual, and just did research to make sure it exists, because I personally have never even seen a diesel model in the states. With that being said, I think I might know what the problem is here as long as the 6spds are built on the same premise as the 5spds.

If you have ever removed the boot from your shifter you will see two wires which run through tubing and down to the gearbox. One of these wires essentially sends the signal to the gearbox as to if the gearbox is in 1/2,3/4, and so on. The other wire send the signal as to if the gear selector is in 1/3/5,neutral, or 2/4/6. If you have ever worked with matrices, thats sorta how the selector works. One tells the row, the other tells the column. Based on the information given to me, it sounds like one of those wires isn't properly lubricated and when it gets cold, the housing of the wire shrinks and restricts the movement of the cable inside of the housing. To lubricate these wires, simply pry the boot of the shifter up to reveal these two wires. Get a good grease and put it on the cable right where it meets the housing. Then move the shifter around a bit to spread the grease, and do that until shifting gets easier.

Old 11-26-2011, 04:54 AM

Hi disguay, you havnt heard of a 2.2 diesel/ 6 speed? You havnt lived( ha ha) very popular here in england its the same engine used in the ford mondeo TC, anyway thanks for the info ill give it a go. Nigel

Old 11-26-2011, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member

Nigel, I really never even knew that the x type ever came with a 6spd manual. I wish mine had an extra gear . I've never even seen a diesel x type either.

Also, keep me posted about if that solution worked or not. You might need to change your transmission fluid, but I did a write up of that on here awhile ago if you need guidance!

Old 11-28-2011, 09:27 AM

Hi disguay, in england we have two diesel engine sizes the 2.0 and the 2.2 as you know mine is the latter in a estate (station wagon i believe you guys call them) version. I took your advice and greased all the rods wires etc, and the actual gear changing has improved,but i still have problems getting into 6 gear from 5, it wants to go into 4th, and needs some "gentle persuasion" it dosnt happen all the time, i had a new clutch fitted in october 2010, perhaps its jusy wear and tear after all ive done over 146,000 miles on a 56 plate

Old 11-28-2011, 11:36 PM
Veteran Member

Nigel, the problem you are having getting into 6th gear from 5th is really something that baffles me and probably because I haven't seen a 6spd. Could possibly be shifting linkage underneath the hood (bonnet ) that has gotten dirt and grime in it over the thousands of miles that you have had this thing on the road. Also, if you haven't changed your transmission fluid in awhile, I would recommend doing that because you should have changed it about 3 times by now.

Cool info about the diesel by the way!

Old 04-21-2019, 08:36 AM

Hi Nigel

Was the problem solved? If so would you pls describe how? I have the same problem with the same car (59 plate).

Thanks in advance

Old 04-21-2019, 03:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

8 year old thread, doubt you'll get an answer. Best answer(s) in other forums is lubricate the gear shifter and shift rods =

For lubricating the gear selector, there's two approaches, based on where you think the problem is.

If you gently prise up the gear lever surround (open the ash tray, and lift from the side nearest the dashboard), you can get to the ball joint that the gear lever rests in. I gave mine a liberal dose of teflon lubricating spray (mine was a bit sticky getting into first) others suggest lithium grease, and after a week or so, when it has worked its way in, made things a lot easier.

The other apprach is to lubricate the selector rods as they go into the gear box. Easiest way to see these is to open the bonnet, lean over the near side wing and look into the engine bay, while a helper "changes gear", but with the engine off. You'll then be able to spot the linkages moving and then lubricate them.

Last edited by Dell Gailey; 04-21-2019 at 03:08 PM.