X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual Transmission Fluid Change

Old 11-02-2008, 05:02 PM
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Manual Transmission Fluid Change

I've searched this forum and Googled for way to long...I just can't find a thing...

I want to chage my 2003 X-Type 5sp manual transmission fluid. I'm not sure what fluid to use - the only hint here was *MTL* whatever that is.

In addition to the fluid type, can anyone indicate what the steps are? Is there a drain and fill plug, or is it the typical fill only scenario?

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Old 11-02-2008, 11:13 PM
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RE: Manual Transmission Fluid Change

surveysez:
How frustrating it must be that your question contained a request for help with an ambiguous reference to 'MTL', only to have it mentioned just as ambiguously as part of the only response you've received.
And this from the forum's leader in technical accuracy and complete instructions. []

MTL= "Manual Trans Lube"
however; it's interesting that Bo would recommend that, considering Jaguar's spec calls for a 10w40 synthetic motor oil. I used Royal Purple's 10w40.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:15 PM
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

take a look here:
www.dansfam.com/jaguar-fluids.pdf
I scanned this in, but this came from my Dealer.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:02 PM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I did a little cross checking and this is what I came up with for the MTL..

From JTIS

And what is out there for this spec..
http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricant...ission%20Fluid

Old 11-04-2008, 10:44 PM

wow!! you guys are fantastic. i have printed out the data you've all provided, and will make a trip to autozone friday to see what's on the shelf.i've got 66k miles on my x-type and it's allways shifted like crap - at times can feel the teath shifting into the next gear. i've often wondered if i need to blead the clutch. i'm hoping this oil change might help.

yes mcjag you were reading my mind - i even asked a gear head at work about mtl and got a weird look. he did suggest a synth based fluid as it's more slippery..

i am tempted to go directly to a ford dealership to get the motorcraft synth trans fluid dennis - as my gut tells me it *might* be designed to last longer than the synth 10w40 motor oil. i only say that because motor oil is expected to be regularly changed...

bo - it's fascinating that the redline mtl writeup seems to describe my transmission shift problem - and why it solves it better than a synth lubricant. maybe that's what i should get?

i'm now more confused than ever as to which oil to get...

getting underneath the car is definately a beatch - which side is most convenient to approach the plugs?

Old 11-08-2008, 10:03 AM

the ford dealership parts department was closed this morning so i wound up at autozone. i got the royal purple 75w-90 max-gear synthetic. i bought 2 quarts. $16 a quart - ouch...

i'll be working with her jacked under one side.

which side of the car is most convenient to work under?

Old 11-08-2008, 02:05 PM
ud

To add to what Bo said, here are a couple illistrations from the JTIS CD

Drain Plug:

Fill Plug:

Old 11-09-2008, 11:42 AM

just finished. oddly enough it had only about 1.5 quarts in it. refilled with 2 quarts, and it wasn't enough to allow fluid to run out of fill hole, but based on the 1.75L spec dennis posted i *assume* i'm ok (1.75L=1.8Qts), and at the very least better off than i was before. i will take her fo a spin later after cleaning up and report back.

thanks a million for the plug location pics dennis - i don't think i would have known for sure that they were the fill/drains as they appear to be very close in height...

bo - jacking left side was perfect - i also put a rigid stand under the frame while i was underneath. took out the stand and let the jack down to fully drain, and also let it down after the fill to see if some of the fluid would drip out (it did not). i hope 2 quarts is not underfilled...

Old 11-09-2008, 08:29 PM
ud

What Lube type did you end up putting in?..and If you do the rear Diff ever...It will also not flow out the fill hole if you put in exactly what is called for..and I found that initial factory lube level low as well and dirty[:'(]..

good luck

Old 11-10-2008, 09:33 PM

my transmission now shifts like butter.this simple project has yielded a dramatic improvement in shifting. i used 2 quarts of royal purple 75w-90 max-gear synthetic. not only was oem fluid level low, but it was alsovery dark brown with an acrid odor.i should have done this 60,000 miles ago.....

thanks a million for your assistance dennis and bo!!!!!!

Old 11-10-2008, 09:38 PM
ud

So much for the BS being "filled for life", huh?..Thanks for the report, good job..

Old 12-19-2010, 03:53 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Just adding my two cents to an old thread....

I just changed my manual transmission fluid after (presumably) 80k miles on the original oil. What came out looked like chocolate liquor - not quite so opaque as molasses - but at least it flowed well.

I refilled with 1.75 quarts of Redline MT-90. I used MT-90 because it matches the Jaguar spec for the OEM fluid. Those who would consider using Redline MTL (or any other manufacturer's lighter weight fluid) need to consider that synchronizer bearings need some degree of fluid drag in order to match gears and allow smooth shifting. A thinner weight oil like MTL might not provide the optimal amound of drag on the bearings to allow that smooth shifting in all driving conditions and climates, particularly in warmer weather on a fully warmed up vehicle. So consider this a recommendation for using a 90-weight manual transmission fluid.

You also want to make a point of using a GL-4 oil without the friction modifiers that are used for some limited-slip differentials. GL-4 is for transmissions; GL-5 is for differentials. Those limited slip friction modifiers are reputed to actually harm the alloys used in transmission synchronizer bearings.

Beyond that, regarding brands: pick your poison. Someone will have a hard time selling me on the idea that Redline or Amsoil or Royal Purple are significantly better than either of the others. Unfortunately, outside of those three, most other brands that I'm aware of - Valvoline synthetic gear oil comes to mind - have those friction modifiers that I mentioned earlier.

Anyway, the end result on my car is, as expected, smoother shifting than before the fluid change.

+1 for MT-90

Last edited by rothe; 12-19-2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dennis,
Could you re-post those two pictures; Drain plug and Fill plug?
I'm also planning to replace mine as well.
I'd appreciate it.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:55 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Just in case Dennis doesn't chime in, let me elaborate on the descriptions of the fill and drain plugs. Both are black in color - to my recollection, they're the only black plugs or bolts on the transmission - and both use the same 9mm (8mm?) hex socket. A standard allen wrench might not give you enough torque. As such, you'd do well to get a hex bit socket to work with a common ratchet handle.

Some clear nylon tubing and a funnel that fits into the tubing will make filling easier, as you can route the tubing into the fill hole from the top of the engine compartment, near the battery. Half-inch outer diameter (3/8 inner dia.) tubing seems to fit the fill hole well.

Jacking up the front of the car so that the tires are just off the ground seems to aid drainage and help prevent spilling over upon refill.

Again, the fill plug is on the front of the transmission (visible from the front of the car), and the drain plug is low on the right side of the transmission.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 386 Likes on 284 Posts

redline is bullet proof i use it in my rx7 turbo
dynoed at 437hp on my stock tranny..i race it at english town
i use it in my x-type

Name:  rx7night-1.jpg
Views: 2977
Size:  59.1 KB

Name:  4646035.jpg
Views: 3073
Size:  102.5 KB

Name:  transmission017.jpg
Views: 3797
Size:  146.7 KB

Name:  transmission013.jpg
Views: 4816
Size:  80.3 KB

Name:  transmission016.jpg
Views: 5970
Size:  64.1 KB

Name:  transmission015.jpg
Views: 2743
Size:  156.9 KB

Last edited by dennis black; 12-20-2010 at 08:08 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Manual Transmission Fluid Change