Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual Transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 10:33 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Manual Transmission problems

2002 X Type 2.5 manual transmission

Folks, I may have a serious problem...hopefully someone will have some ideas.
Yesterday I had a local garage drain and refill my transmission fluid. My gear box has felt terrible, and stiff. This seemed to loosen things up, shifts were much smoother and easier to make. But now I have a problem... This morning the car simply would not go into first at times. The shifter was in position, but the gear was not engaging. The car was still in neutral. This happened several times.

When it did go into 1st, it was smooth, and there is no slippage at all. It runs strong, it just didn't go into gear... any ideas?

Update: I went back out, started it up...shifted and tested 1st probably 20 times...running from gear to gear, making sure it was engaging. Not once did it fail to go into any gear. I'm thoroughly confused...

Last edited by Preacher-Steve; 10-12-2016 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:02 PM
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Generally speaking when you can not get it into gear or it is hard to get in, that is a sign that your clutch is not completely disengaging.

How does the clutch peddle feel? More or less free play?

The following users liked this post:
Preacher-Steve (10-15-2016)
Old 10-12-2016, 11:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure the fluid level is high enough for the fluid to get to the clutch line. Its way up on the side just under the minimum mark on mine. Mine was doing the same thing until i topped it off and made sure the clutch hole was under the fluid.

Old 10-15-2016, 11:34 AM

Ok, heres what I now know...the fluid level is acceptable.

The clutch feels consistent...that is probably the best description I have. The car supposedly has a new cloth and clutch master cylinder, but the peddle feels "mushy" or soft.
Going into 2nd, 4th, or reverse is a non-issue. It goes into these gears smooth and easy. Now, though, it is 1st, 3,rd, and 5th...all the "top" gears. It may go in, it may not. Sometimes it engages fine, sometimes it doesn't go in at all, though the shifter is in the appropriate gate without difficulty. There is no slipping when it does go into gear.

The man I purchased the car from mentioned the clutch slave cylinder had not been replaced. Any thoughts if this could be the issue, or could it be the transmission?

Old 10-15-2016, 11:54 AM
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,784 Posts

Are there any hydraulic leaks from the clutch release circuit?

Look for wetness around the back of the clutch master cylinder, then check the slave cylinder at the clutch housing. Any evidence of wetness means the master and or slave must be replaced and properly bled. Also, check the hose and pipes for any seepage.

Old 10-15-2016, 01:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im no mechanic but NBCat sounds like hes on top of it. To me it sounds like air in the line.

Old 11-21-2016, 06:36 PM

Ok folks, just wanted to give an update as I have finally, as of today, got a dribble car from this problem.
Apparently someone (as in a previous owner) is rather stupid. The entire problem was a shift cable (I could be wrong on the proper name). Long story short, there was a cable linking things up that had been spliced together, screwed together, and even zip ties used in places. After a day of exploration by a mechanic at $60/hour, another two weeks of waiting on the part, and a couple more shop hours for installation...presto!

The car feels like it has a new gearbox and cloth without touching either.

Now on to other issues left over from years of neglect...

Thanks to everyone for your input. I'll certainly be seeking more on other issues.