Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This may be the final post..

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default This may be the final post..

Well in the past few days, I've got a gear box fault light without a drive train malfunction light or check engine, windows are acting up, not going up, locks are acting up, transmission feels like its under strain, weird nioses coming form the steering and dashboard not to mention the engine, scanned the vehicle, only codes that came up was a p1111, and cat effeincy test failed. So I believe I am selling her, Im not going to lie, I am very upset about this, I love jaguars but I wont be allowed to buy another, not even a realiable stype. Just thought id let you all know.

Oh and can you help me out on picking out a suv or truck that packs the simlar interior as the jag under or around 20 grand? lol
I hear the vw touregs are good, and the jeep commanders, any comments? suggestions?

Old 10-13-2010, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  19.3 KB

Wow Stu, so sorry to hear about your probs buddy
If you do decide to well, we'd hate to lose someone like you as a member but I guess you'd be frequenting SUV type forums from then on?

Either way and whatever happens, I wish you the best of luck with whatever choice you make and hope you continue to be a member here, or at least drop by from time to time.

You'll always have a forum home here

Old 10-13-2010, 07:55 PM
Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts

How old is your battery? A battery that doesn't hold a full charge can cause all of those kinds of problems; erratic electrical gremlins.

I would recommend either having your battery tested or replacing it altogether to see if it helps alleviate all of your seemingly unrelated sudden issues.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member

Hmm well thanks jim. I probaly will stick around, but I really dont want to sell her, I was thinking of taking her to the mechanics, and getting the transmission, transfer case checked out, the transmission still shifts into each gear in a second, and the engine feels strong, I was thinking about getting the oil changed in the transmission and the transfer case too.

I love this car, its so realible in winter and solid too.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  19.3 KB

Stu...listen, anything any of us can do to help you in that goal, please let us know
If we need to open a specific thread calling ALL members / techs with ideas / suggestions and or tech input etc and make sticky as well as bump it to get ou maximum exposure in the shortest possible time, please let me know!
Anything we can do to help Stu

Old 10-13-2010, 09:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm so sorry to hear you're having problems. I wish I knew something about anything so I could help you. I can find the battery and check the oil and that's about it. I would take her into a dealership for a checkup and get a list of what's wrong. Maybe you can get things fixed in stages.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had similar problems, not while driving, and it was the battery. After recharging it, the gear box fault and weird noises stopped.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Disco, you may not want to but roll her down and let Jerry at express have a peek. Got to check the positive cable where it runs low across and up to the fuse box as well as a bad battery. Just seems strange you would be getting mystery faults and window and lock problems without it being something central like the battery. This could be the simplest fix you've had yet man.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

YES I recently had my battery replaced and just before it died it was throwing tranny codes and that kind of non sense. Get your battery checked out asap and let us know!

Old 10-14-2010, 01:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

+1 on the battery. Also, if you just installed air ride suspension, those 1/4 HP Viair pumps drain iffy batteries in no time. Trust me.

Old 10-14-2010, 04:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

I hope you can fix your X soon however it's good you will be here even if you sell your X .Suggestions ? VW Toureg should be a tough SUV but I reckon its parts must be more expensive than Ford F250 or Chevrolet Tahoe .
I would go for Ford F350 , you know Ford is Jaguar's ex owner lol .

Old 10-14-2010, 04:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Hey disco, I hope that it is just a quick fix; can't help you directly, but as Jim says we will do all we can to help you from a forum point of view.

Old 10-14-2010, 04:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Stu, a battery is awhole lot cheaper than a new SUV. I agree with everyone on a possible battery failure. But if you are in the market for a SUV, go for the gusto and check out the Escalades, The 2004 thru 2006 are very dependable and within ones ($20,000) budget! Good luck

Old 10-14-2010, 07:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Come on Disco, you have too much into your baby to give up now, and frankly it won't be worth much if you get rid of it. Do the due dilligence and get some troubleshooting done at least and then make a decision. It could be very minor as suggested.

If you want a Jaguar SUV, then get a Land Rover. You should be able to find Range Rover P38's all day long for under $20k. Now, these can be a real headache as well, trust me on this one. The electricals drive me crazy, but mechanically they are tanks. Usually it's little annoying stuff that breaks, but not major stuff that will strand you. That being said they can be very expensive to fix if you don't wrench yourself. If you want a reliable transpo SUV then go get a 4Runner or Pathfinder or Grand Cherokee.

But let's fix that X first....

Old 10-14-2010, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Hey Disco
There are a million threads on changing the transfer case fluid (bit of a biotch but cheap) and the transmission fluid is a 10 minute job.

Change the battery first then the fluids just because. Everything is related to power, mine went into gearbox fauly, so I thought I would limp it to the dealership which is about 15 miles by highway. By the time I got there it was bucking, no gauges worked, every light was on my dash and I thought it was going to self destruct at any moment. Dealer guy said it was normal, the TCM will throw every code if it gets wet. Mine was, but after figuring out my windshield was leaking and insurance paid for a replacement because it was cracked, now completely trouble free for a couple of months and I've driven through freaking monsoon type weather.

Don't give up, the cars are hinky but a realiable. They don't require maintenance they demand it. It's part of owning an English car

Old 10-14-2010, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

If i remember correctly, Disco may not be the sole decision maker. Perhaps a bit of parental influence and where the wallet is. If Jaguar has been a disappointment to the parental unit, a Landy probably isn't going to get much support. Don't give up until you test the battery. A limping X-Type won't get you any of your dollars back out at sale time.

Last edited by mohrd; 10-14-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:15 PM
Veteran Member

Okay, so I looked at a jeep....and I asked alot of my friends aout thier thoughts
This is what they said " Going from a jaguar to jeep....HELL NO and how man jags do you see, its unique car" So as I was driving home from a 12 hour school day, with the car running fine, and just me, not even the radio on, just thinking to myself, this is my car, my parents do have a influence, but hell its my money. And I enjoyed the drive to my freinds place and home. And realized I had a ****ty day, and the car actaully cheered me up, so Im going to fight eveyr problem it has this weekend, since mid terms ended today I can focus on the car.

Okay so lets get past the emotional bullsht. I THANK everybody who has posted on this thread, especialy Jim, I aprreciate your offer.

Okay, so possible culprets are, a dieing battery, water? and a stuffed up cat. Maybe even a small leak somewhere in the vacuum tubes? Im calling jerry tommorrow mohrd, and getting the tranny oil changed, and im going to get the transfer case checked to, im also going to reprogram the locks and figure out the headlight too.

And your right, I have put too much effort and money into this car, just like a paid hooker, SHE BETTER PUT OUT.

Last edited by Disco stu55; 10-14-2010 at 11:18 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mohrd
If i remember correctly, Disco may not be the sole decision maker. Perhaps a bit of parental influence and where the wallet is. If Jaguar has been a disappointment to the parental unit, a Landy probably isn't going to get much support. Don't give up until you test the battery. A limping X-Type won't get you any of your dollars back out at sale time.

Haha yea they said no premium brand car for you just good old regular pastic, cloth seated american vehicles, not even japanese

Old 10-15-2010, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member

So, i popped the hood today and listened for any strange noises...
there was one that i noticed that had not been there before, a weird ticking niose comeing from the uper left side of th engine, just in front of the firewall ont he passenger side..?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCcQnkyhK60
sounds like this but to a lesser extent.
Theres also a werid niose, like scratching comeing fromt eh passenger side dash, but only once in a while when reversing, it does look like a mouse chewed up my hoodliner

Old 10-16-2010, 02:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh crap. Rodents again. They do love these X Types. Check your map sensor wiring! Apparently. it's tasty.

Glad to hear you're tackling the problems. Good luck! I hope she's going great for you soon.

Quick Reply: This may be the final post..