X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Missing some bolts or screws..... body panel

Old 10-28-2016, 12:25 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Missing some bolts or screws..... body panel

Under the rear bumper there is a plastic panel spanning the width of the car.
Actually...appears this panel has the parking assist sensors mounted in it.

I slid under to have a look at the parking assist stuff (cause that doesn't seem to be working... just starting to look into it. Not even sure what it does when it's working) ...and noticed that entire panel is loose. I have the shop manual but can't seem to find what size or type screws I need.

Anyone know?

Thanks

Old 11-01-2016, 08:36 AM
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Old 11-01-2016, 08:40 AM
The following users liked this post:
yardbird (11-01-2016)
Old 11-01-2016, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by euanT
Thank you! Confirmed what I suspected. I wonder if I can source the clips locally. They look like pretty standard spring clips. I went through all my junk here and came up with basically nothing yesterday. So....right now that panel is held on by a couple screws at each end ...and I put some big (electrical) zip ties across the span without screws. It's on. It's tight, but ... I want to properly fasten it.

Thanks again!

Old 11-03-2016, 09:30 AM

I have the facelift model(not in the states) but the lower valance is still held on by one screw each side with just plastic lugs along the middle!!

Attached Thumbnails Missing some bolts or screws..... body panel-img_2235.jpg  
yardbird (11-03-2016)
Old 11-03-2016, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by euanT
I have the facelift model(not in the states) but the lower valance is still held on by one screw each side with just plastic lugs along the middle!!
I'm still getting used to the terminology so not quite sure what a facelift model is. I saw the plastic blind rivets in the catalog, but they appeared to be being used on the wagon (estate?) versus the saloon (sedan?).

I got the flat metal spring clips that slide over the sheet metal edge and are threaded for 6mm panhead screws with washers. Very secure now.

From your photo though, I see I'm missing the cover for the towing eye...heheh... one thing after another.

Old 11-04-2016, 05:41 AM

The "Facelift" went on sale in 2008, but never made it to the USA, it had new bumpers(fenders) and revised door mirrors & other minor tweeks!! I have an estate(wagon) sovereign, top of the range model, which in the states was listed as a VDP, as you have!! Mine is a 2.0D with a hidden exhaust tailpipe (NO like) so I swapped out the lower valance for the 2.5/3.0 V6 version with the cutouts & a custom S/S exhaust. The valance just had 1 screw/retainer at each side, and plastic push in tongue/slots along the middle section, not 100% sure about the Pre facelift like yours.
BTW the faceiift grille is a straight swap for yours!!
X type history here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_X-Type

Attached Thumbnails Missing some bolts or screws..... body panel-img_2067.jpg   Missing some bolts or screws..... body panel-img_2068.jpg  
Old 11-06-2016, 09:09 AM
Default AAANNNd... fixed Parking Aid... a follow-up

While I was getting this valance squared away I came across a ....thing... stuffed up behind the bumper. Soft, rubber, had wires going through it. Wasn't sure I should mess with it so I left it.

THEN... working inside the trunk (boot) cleaning, checking the jack, etc... notice this rather large hole at the back of the car, really close to where the Parking Aid Module is.... Hmmf.... wonder what that's for....

This morning... sitting on the throne.. a little light goes on.. "Hey! that...*thing* is about the same size as that hole!"

Get into my crawl-around-the-wife's-car clothes...investigate, fish a wire through the hold from inside the trunk and pull 2 electrical connectors through and then a rubber grommet that seals the hole.

"Well I'll be darned... wonder what these are for"

There is a connector in the trunk just hanging out...not plugged into anything. ONE of the connectors I pulled through, fits it perfectly.

"But.... what about this other one?".... looking at the Parking Aid Module I see 2 connectors plugged into it... feel along the edge... "Hey...there's another connection spot here" Look the 2 connectors I pulled through the hole and *snap* ...click one set together and *snap* clip the other into the module.

Get in the car and turn it on... *beep*....*beep*

Gasp! I just fixed the parking aid sensors! hahahahah

Old 11-07-2016, 05:14 AM

Grommet!!! well done you!!!

yardbird (11-07-2016)