X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modifying the Transfer Case Brackets?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 11:37 AM
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Modifying the Transfer Case Brackets?

I read on another forum that the transfer case "roll restrictor mount/ Transfer Case shield" bracket can be separated in two at the spot welds and either bolted back together or the top piece removed altogether. Is anyone driving there Jaguar like this?

Another question of mine is if the Transfer Case Brace bracket that holds the catalytic converter would be safe without the "awkward" top left 13mm bolt. I am reading that they grind that ear off and never even put the bolt back on installation.

To be honest it sounds like "hack" short cuts, but after removing the Transfer Case on mine this past week, I am definitely contemplating these two ideas. I just want to know if anyone is driving like this?

The transfer case replacement should take an hour with these modifications made at most. The "awkward bolt" and the shield were the most time consuming.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:51 AM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

I used to put a slot in the 'AWKWARD ONE' for ease of reassembly. Not a lot of stress on the cataverter bracket so slotting one bolt hole never gave me trouble.

I did not really have a problem with the other cover bracket you mentioned. Never tried to separate.

I recommend one of these 15mm Snap-On wrenches for the cataverter clamps.

bob

Old 05-21-2017, 12:05 PM
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Ok, thank you so much for the reassurance, that eases my mind.