X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mondeo Motor Mount = X-Type Roll Restrictor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 10:04 PM
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Mondeo Motor Mount = X-Type Roll Restrictor?

While doing the transfer case bearings, I noticed that the "dog bone" "roll restrictor" had some cracks in the rubber.

I didn't want to wait around for another after getting it all apart and fixed, so put that one back in to see how it would work.

The transfer case is now smooth and I don't hear/feel much when coasting or at speed, but do notice some drivetrain roughness under acceleration.

I'm assuming/hoping it is the roll restrictor.

They seem to go for about $75 plus shipping, and I almost pulled the trigger, until I noticed an ebay seller who listed it as a Mondeo/X-Type engine mount.

The aftermarket Mondeo version is $35 including shipping, so I ordered that. The pictures look identical. The other engine mounts look identical too, but are half the price.

The seller claims a five year warranty and has great ebay feedback, so it is worth a try, I think.

I'll report back after I get it and install it. I may order the others too, since that rubber gets bad with age as I have learned on my other 15 year old car.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:47 AM
Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

This is great, I hope they work. I've been looking for upgraded mounts to something more solid and there are many options for the mondeo but nothing for the X type specifically.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:23 PM

Arrived in fine shape, and installed without issues.

Did have a big "Made in China" sticker on the bag, but will trust the warranty from the eBay seller. "Auto Engine Mounts."

Old 06-09-2015, 08:30 PM

Yes, it looks like there are some nice engine mounts and mods for the Mondeo.

For example, here's one that might work for you:

powerflex lower engine mount how to! - Diesel Engines (Mondeo Mk3) - TalkFord.com

Last edited by jaggedy; 06-09-2015 at 08:33 PM.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:37 PM

Well that's good to know, I'm sure mine need to replaced soon, and I like upgrading rather than replacing. Almost ever bushing has been replaced with polyurethane or better so I'm happy to hear I have options for the engine mounts, at least one of them anyway.

Old 06-11-2015, 04:05 AM

Well it looks like they actually modded a Rover 75 engine mount to fit the Mondeo, which should be the same as the X-Type.

Looks like lots of the modders fill their engine mounts with polyurethane. I'd expect a rough ride from that.

My cheap mount improved things greatly, but I am still getting some roughness from the transmission. I think.

I put the Castrol in there which helped a lot, but I still feel something is not right when accelerating.

I wish there was a "high mileage" atf available for the X-Type.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:55 AM

My car is already what many on here would think of as a "very rough ride" with all that I've done to the suspension and my wheel and tire choice. I'm not going for a cloud like ride anyway so I'm not worried about it. If a rover mount works on a mondeo and a mondeo mount works on a x type then the 3 should be interchangeable. I did notice that the thread you posted was for diesel engines though. You have the v6 correct? So I assume you got a v6 mondeo mount, and it worked just fine.

I have a 5 speed so I can't help with the ATF questions. There are two more mounts, one on each front fender well, that connect to the transmission on the US drivers side, and to the engine on the US passenger side. If they are also bad, you could still get movement from the engine and transmission assembly. Pop the hood and have someone rev the engine while in park or neutral while you watch for the engine to move front to back. If it moves more than just a bit, that could be what's causing the harshness you are feeling.

Old 06-13-2015, 07:35 PM

the motor mounts seem ok, so I will keep investigating. It could just be a 95,000 mile tranny. I may put some "lubegard" in there after I do one more drain and refill, and see if that helps.

Like the roll restrictor, other cars use the same tranny (VW, Mazda, Ford, etc) so I can look on those forums for their results.

It is kind of funny to me that the transmission on this "British" car is actiually made by "Japan Automatic Transmission Company." When I was in the engine I was surprised by how many Denso parts there were and to see the Ford oval stamped on the camshaft.

I suppose it is a more pleasant surprise than seeing Tata made in India parts in the car which would be really funny. I guess we will have to wait a few years for that...