X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is my alternator dodgy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 09:21 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default is my alternator dodgy?

hey guys, was wondering if anyone would be able to help me out.
My x-type classic d 2ltr 05plate jag has decided it wants to die on me. Last night I was halfway through a 150mile trip and the battery light came on the dash. A few mile further on my ABS light appeared on the dash also. I managed to limp home with failing headlights (thankfully the roads were quiet).
Previous to this happening I had replaced the oil and filter (earlier the same day) as I had noticed a slight engine noise on idling, which sounded slightly worse when A/C was on. The noise sounded like it was coming from the front right/drivers side of the engine, right wheel arch area. Noise was similar to a little bird chirping away under the bonnet (sorry, best way I could describe it). Once home I tried starting the car and needless to say the battery is flat. Anyone have any suggestions on diagnosis and fixing the problem? any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:28 AM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

For all it's tech wiz bangs, the X-type alternator is just an alternator. Check that it has battery power going to the stud, then check the output under load. Remember that an alternator can put out voltage while not having any amperage, so a proper load test is required. Also check the belt tension and the alternator pulley for signs of slipping. Check also the wiring for signs of damage or burning. In other words, check it like you would any other alternator.

The fact you are hearing a noise and the car is suffering a power loss tells me that it's a 90% chance you have a dead or dying alternator. The alternator is located exactly where you are hearing the noise. Getting it out of the car is not an easy job, but not the end of the world either. In any event, if it's bad it needs to come out.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:34 AM

thank you ozzlefinch, will check that when I get in from work. will keep you posted.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:56 AM

Thank you. I am always interested in these tech issues and what eventually the problem is. Sometimes what we think it might have been is way off base. Every bit of information about these things helps the entire community to get better at problem solving and at the end of the day, to save money.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:40 AM

ok chaps, an update on the alternator situation. After getting chance to have a look at it in daylight, I discovered that infact the car had managed to lose the aux belt. so alternator is fine
Down side is that the belt is a big of a pig to change. So garage job it was. 3 hours later im good to go. The mechanic who done the job has informed me that a possible reason the car managed to spit off the belt was that the crank pulley is the wrong one. (which had been replaced about a month before me purchasing the car).
Currently on the car is a solid pulley, whereas it should be a dampered pulley, so just a little heads up for anyone unaware of this. So new belt on for now and come the weekend i will be replacing the pulley.
If anyone has experience in replacing the crank pulley, a heads up would be much appreciated.

Old 05-29-2015, 05:17 AM

Well that is good to know. A simple fix!

Sorry for the wrong pulley, however. When we purchase second hand cars there can be a certain expectation of such things. It does take a bit to get them sorted out. Glad your problem at the end was nothing major, just a bodged repair by the PO.