X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My blower motor quit, along with my interior lights.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 06:33 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default My blower motor quit, along with my interior lights.

My X-type is a 2004 with the updated wiring. I have already checked fuses. Fuse 49 should be the one I was after. It was not blown, but I replaced it anyway. I actually checked every single fuse in both boxes. I did not check relays, because I don't know how. :-D

There were no blown fuses. After replacing 49, I had no change. Still no lights, and still no blower motor.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Old 01-18-2016, 08:29 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

nobody, when you say "interior lights" are you talking about say all the dash lights not working or are you talking about the overhead lights/vanity mirrors/floor lights or both? If the overhead lights do not work when the door is opened, do the map lights and/or the vanity lights (ie, those in the sunvisor) still work?

Has there been any work done in the area of the dash just before this problem arose? Just seeing if work on something else may have caused other issues. It is possible that the ground wire by the blower motor may have gotten removed/kicked and that would take out the door ajar switches and the ground to the blower motor.

I am attempting to narrow down where the electrical problem may be. These are some simple checks that while they may not seem related, they are when it comes to the wiring.

Old 01-18-2016, 12:07 PM

Thanks for the reply. No work has been done to the car.

I am talking about the overhead lights. Front or back, neither work. Dash lights still work, radio still works, and the climate control still works, except for the blower not running.

What happened was this, I got up early in the morning, and went out to start the car. I was half asleep, but I am 99.9 percent sure that when I started the car, the lights and blower were working, as I always make sure the blower is turned up as it is winter time in North Dakota. ;-)

When I came back to leave for work, I got in and noticed it was very cold, dark and quiet.

At that point, I just shut the car off and started my truck, as it was still dark and I didn't want to mess with fuses in the dark. I did not check the vanity mirror lights, though. Map lights do not work.

Old 01-19-2016, 05:28 PM
Veteran member

nobody, ok, lets try a few things. The first being that I want you to go out to the car and open the driver's door and then before putting the key in the ignition, turn on the headlights. Do you hear a chime going off alerting you to the fact that your headlights are on? If no, then check fuse F35 in the passenger compartment fuse box. If you have the chime, continue.

The next check. With the driver's door open, put your ear down near the right side of the steering wheel near that little vent (about 1/2" by 1/2" in size). Do you hear a little fan buzzing away? Worst case, start the car with the heater controls turned on and then turn the car off. Some people say that they can hear the fan running then too. If you don't hear the fan running, then check fuse F49 in the passenger compartment fuse box.

If you have reached this point, you are pretty much down to the battery saver relay or the controlling circuit. IN this case, if you look at the top of fuse F49, you should see 2 small silver tabs in the top of the fuse. What you will need to do is to set a multimeter to read 20 VDC and then place the black lead against any metal part that you can find in the area and then place the red lead on either one of those silver tabs. Did the multimeter jump up to more than 11.0 VDC? If yes, then you most likely have a bad wire between fuse F49 and the main wire bundle running through the dash. If no, you have a bad battery saver relay which may mean that you will need to get a new passenger compartment fuse box as the fuse is hardwired into the fuse box and is not replaceable as I recall.

If you need more assistance, let me know.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:48 PM

Thanks for the update, I don't know if I will get to check it out until the weekend. It is dark when I leave, and dark when I get home.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:50 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am going to say first: I'm NO car expert. At all. I just know I had this issue, and three of us (sigh) ended up chasing it for almost two weeks, wondering why, after replacing the fuse, checking the relay, etc., that it was still an issue (blower motor, no inside lights, and no display on the temperature control) and we found another fuse that, once replaced, made everything ~magically~ work again (you know, until it blew again, and eventually I found the problem was from the lights on the driver's side sun visor).

I don't have the paperwork, and the poor guy who is always fixing my car has it at home, but I am nearly 100% certain it's fuse 99 (10 amp, driver's side, very front of the fuses).

Again, not even close to being an expert, so I apologize if this isn't helpful to you; I just know it worked for me.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:51 AM

Hey! I appreciate the reply! I will check all this out when I get a chance. Our weather was finally nice enough this last weekend, but then I spent the whole thing out of town and didn't get a chance. Now, the weather is crappy again. ;-)

I should really make the garage usable, but it is mainly wood storage for our fireplace during the winter.

The following users liked this post:
Thia (01-27-2016)
Old 01-25-2016, 09:44 PM
Received 286 Likes on 234 Posts

One caveat.... Jaguar changed the wiring of our X-Types in early 2004. So the wiring and fuses are different in Thia's 2003 vs. Nobody's 2004 "with the updated wiring".

pdf's of both wiring diagrams are here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...4-25-a-152076/

The following users liked this post:
Thia (01-27-2016)
Old 01-27-2016, 09:51 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dwclapp
One caveat.... Jaguar changed the wiring of our X-Types in early 2004. So the wiring and fuses are different in Thia's 2003 vs. Nobody's 2004 "with the updated wiring".

pdf's of both wiring diagrams are here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...4-25-a-152076/

Aaaaah, see? This n00b didn't even consider that. Thank you.

nobodyspecial, I feel your pain; this happened to me in the middle of the summer last year. In Phoenix. I hope it ends up an easy (quick) fix for you!

Old 02-29-2016, 09:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Thia
Aaaaah, see? This n00b didn't even consider that. Thank you.

nobodyspecial, I feel your pain; this happened to me in the middle of the summer last year. In Phoenix. I hope it ends up an easy (quick) fix for you!
Was this problem ever fixed? I just got the same error ( blower and interior vanity lights not working). Checked everything Thermo recommended (F35 is good, F49 is good, 12.8 V on the silver tab so battery saver relay is also good) and I'm down to a bad wire between F49 and the dashboard wire harness.

Old 03-01-2016, 06:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

I am assuming by your name that you have a 2002 X-Type. If that is correct then all of the checks you did on Thermo's previous recommendations don't apply to your car. He was directing the checks for a 2004 which has wiring system that was upgraded from what you have. Your fuses have different functions than the 2004 fuses he was discussing.
Maybe he will chime back in, in the mean time try swapping relay 20 a/c blower with relay 19 rear heated window. I will try to get the fuse numbers for you later today.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by avern1
I am assuming by your name that you have a 2002 X-Type. If that is correct then all of the checks you did on Thermo's previous recommendations don't apply to your car. He was directing the checks for a 2004 which has wiring system that was upgraded from what you have. Your fuses have different functions than the 2004 fuses he was discussing.
Maybe he will chime back in, in the mean time try swapping relay 20 a/c blower with relay 19 rear heated window. I will try to get the fuse numbers for you later today.
Actually I have a 2004 x-type, not sure why my signature did not appear on my previous post. As for the name, I was looking at buying a 2002 when I created this account then ended up buying the 2004.

Old 04-12-2016, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
nobody, ok, lets try a few things. The first being that I want you to go out to the car and open the driver's door and then before putting the key in the ignition, turn on the headlights. Do you hear a chime going off alerting you to the fact that your headlights are on? If no, then check fuse F35 in the passenger compartment fuse box. If you have the chime, continue.

The next check. With the driver's door open, put your ear down near the right side of the steering wheel near that little vent (about 1/2" by 1/2" in size). Do you hear a little fan buzzing away? Worst case, start the car with the heater controls turned on and then turn the car off. Some people say that they can hear the fan running then too. If you don't hear the fan running, then check fuse F49 in the passenger compartment fuse box.

If you have reached this point, you are pretty much down to the battery saver relay or the controlling circuit. IN this case, if you look at the top of fuse F49, you should see 2 small silver tabs in the top of the fuse. What you will need to do is to set a multimeter to read 20 VDC and then place the black lead against any metal part that you can find in the area and then place the red lead on either one of those silver tabs. Did the multimeter jump up to more than 11.0 VDC? If yes, then you most likely have a bad wire between fuse F49 and the main wire bundle running through the dash. If no, you have a bad battery saver relay which may mean that you will need to get a new passenger compartment fuse box as the fuse is hardwired into the fuse box and is not replaceable as I recall.

If you need more assistance, let me know.
Hey, its been a while, but I finally have the time to work on this.

I have chime with the headlights on. I do not hear the circulating fan. I have checked every single fuse, and none are blown.

I am going to go out and multimeter it again to be sure, but I did not get voltage when I checked it just now.

Old 04-12-2016, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by avern1
Does this apply to my 2004 as well?

If it does, where are those relays?

Old 04-13-2016, 03:58 PM
Veteran member

nobodyspecial, what avern says applies to the first gen X-Types with the earlier wiring harness. The later cars have a different fuse/relay setup and therefore relay 20 is not the same between the vehicles.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:29 AM

I figured. Did you happen to see my reply to you before that?

Old 04-14-2016, 09:35 AM
Veteran member

nobodyspecial, based on not getting any voltage on the top of the fuse, this is saying that you have a bad battery saver relay and this will require the installation of a new fuse box. Unfortunately, the battery saver relay is part of the fuse box and to replace it requires replacing the whole fuse box.

Old 04-18-2016, 11:35 AM

Folks, a small update to my problem. I checked the voltage at fuse 49 and had none. So I wanted to try to get 12V to that fuse so I got a jumper wire and put one end on the silver tabs that Thermo mentioned above and the other end on fuse 49 and wouldn't you know it, the interior lights came on and the fan started blowing. So the question here is does that confirm that the battery relay is bad? By the way, with the jumper installed, everything seems to be working fine except I have no A/C. The fan is blowing hot air as if the A/C is off. I'm going to check the A/C relay and fuse when I get home this evening and will report back.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:15 PM
Veteran member

02Xtype, if you can return things with the jumper wire, then yes, this would confirm the battery saver relay is bad. Wish I had better news, but.......

Old 04-19-2016, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Thermo
02Xtype, if you can return things with the jumper wire, then yes, this would confirm the battery saver relay is bad. Wish I had better news, but.......
Thanks for the confirmation, Thermo. I'd rather know what the problem is no matter how bad.

By the way, I did check the A/C clutch relay and it was fine. Actually by the time I got home the A/C was blowing cold air as usual. So on to finding a fuse box. I will update once I find one and install it. Thanks everyone.

Quick Reply: My blower motor quit, along with my interior lights.