NAV gets HID upgrade for heads and fogs

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  19.3 KB

Thermo / Nav, thanks for posting.....They look absolutely awesome, great light output and really nice cutoff

Thermo, your generosity towards fellow members knows no bounds....Top man

Old 04-28-2010, 09:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys,

i live in detroit. any suggestions or connections/recommendations that you may have up here? i wish i was in the dc area lol... great job thermo!

Old 04-29-2010, 09:05 AM

Thanks Thermo, I'm in Northern NJ so I'm not in that area, but i should be good, just take off the front clip, splice into those wires. The only thing I've worried about is if I have to run relays if I have any problem with power draw and HID's start to flicker. I'll try and take some pictures for a DIY for fellow members

Old 04-29-2010, 02:55 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,841 Likes on 3,158 Posts

Maxazor, you are good with the power for the HIDs. Your car already has a relay in the circuit for both the fog lights and the headlights (low beam only). So, adding another relay is useless. Connect up to the wires that go to the bulb and you are golden. If you consider doing this to another brand car, then adding a relay may be necessary.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:04 PM
Wes

do you recommend an aftermarket kit or can we buy the factory HID headlights?

this is a gift for my uncle and if i buy and aftermarket kit i do not want any problems

also where did you get the LED's for the city lights?

Thanks,
-Wes

Old 05-12-2010, 05:30 AM
Veteran member

jmalone, if you don't mind making a trip down to Toledo, the next time I am home, we can hook you up then. But, that is up to you.

Wes, if you are looking at converting the car over from factory halogens to HIDs, plan on spending about $1000 on used headlight assemblies. They do not come cheap. New from Jag they are like $800 each (cheapest I can find, list for like $1200 each). As for the LED lights, for mine, I made my own. I bought some 285K MCD 10MM LEDs and then modified the leads to plug into the factory mount. The only thing with doing it this way is that you have to add your own resistor into the factory wiring else the LED will explode on you (literally). The resistor needs to be a 1 watt/220 ohm resistor. But, for $25, that is enough LEDs to do like 3 cars all the way around (50 lights). But, it does require some work on your part. The ones that NAV had were plug and play and required no modification. The big thing to keep in mind with these is that they are polarity sensitive. So, you will need to plug them in, see if they work, if not, flip them 180 degrees and check again.

On a side note about the LED lights, if you are looking to match up the LED lights to your headlights, I wish you luck. MOst of the LED lights are an equivolent 7000K light source. But, that is close enough to 6000K HIDs that you won't be able to tell the difference.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:05 PM
Wes

Originally Posted by Thermo
jmalone, if you don't mind making a trip down to Toledo, the next time I am home, we can hook you up then. But, that is up to you.

Wes, if you are looking at converting the car over from factory halogens to HIDs, plan on spending about $1000 on used headlight assemblies. They do not come cheap. New from Jag they are like $800 each (cheapest I can find, list for like $1200 each). As for the LED lights, for mine, I made my own. I bought some 285K MCD 10MM LEDs and then modified the leads to plug into the factory mount. The only thing with doing it this way is that you have to add your own resistor into the factory wiring else the LED will explode on you (literally). The resistor needs to be a 1 watt/220 ohm resistor. But, for $25, that is enough LEDs to do like 3 cars all the way around (50 lights). But, it does require some work on your part. The ones that NAV had were plug and play and required no modification. The big thing to keep in mind with these is that they are polarity sensitive. So, you will need to plug them in, see if they work, if not, flip them 180 degrees and check again.

On a side note about the LED lights, if you are looking to match up the LED lights to your headlights, I wish you luck. MOst of the LED lights are an equivolent 7000K light source. But, that is close enough to 6000K HIDs that you won't be able to tell the difference.
i just may skip the HID kit if it involves that much work lol

as for the LED's im looking for something like this

City Lights: 6k 158 bulbs
***This are NOT FOG lights!!! Infiniti calls it city lights or park lights

These are the LED's that i have in my G35 and my uncle likes the look

here is the thread

http://g35driver.com/forums/lighting...ml#post3497850

Old 05-13-2010, 04:53 AM
Veteran member

Wes, the HID kit is not that complicated to install. The whole bit about installing resistors and whatnot is because of trying to install LEDs (not HIDs) without buying manufactured LEDs for that specific purpose. The HID kits are pretty much a "cut two wires and install" process. Very simple overall. Going with the all factory setup is even easier, but then, the costs are significantly higher.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:18 PM
Wes

oh i understand now

sucks they do not just have a replacement LED for the city light

Old 05-14-2010, 09:09 PM
Veteran member

Wes, they do. You need to find the led bulb for a 194 bulb (as I recall). Then it will be plug and play. But, plan on spending about $10 a bulb. Me, I made my own LED bulbs and got away for $1.50 to do both. It was a little bit more work, but worth it in my book.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:26 PM
Nav
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These are the LED's that i bought for the running lights, as Thermo said, they are a bit on the purple side but still look aight

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/White...Q5fAccessories

you wanna search for 8 SMD 194 LED if you go with a different style bulb just make sure the diameter is less than 11 millimeters to fit through the housing.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:23 PM

So im gonna put in my hid's soon as they come from asia..but after reading this..it appears i have to pull the front bumper and drill out the "black cup style"light housing to get the h1 hid ballast to fit..?is there another way beside pulling the front bumper

Old 08-22-2010, 05:56 PM
Veteran member

Irish, yes, you can in theory do this without pulling the bumper cover. But, think about all the work that has to be done and now do it with minimal clearance. You will save tons of time by simply pulling the bumper cover. Pulling the bumper cover isn't that hard really. All you need is a T-27 Torx bit (as I recall, might be T-25), a T-10 bit, and a 10mm socket/wrench. Pulling the bumper cover will only take but about 20 minutes. It comes off pretty easy. Remove the cover on the under side of the car using the Torx bit. You will need the 10mm socket for 4 bolts on the rear side near the wheel well. Slide the plastic plate out of the way. Next remove the screws half way up on the front side of the wheel well (out at the edge) using the T-10 bit. Next, there is a 10 mm bolt on the back side of the bumper cover between the side marker light and the wheel well. Having a stubby ratchet makes this job easier. Finally, put some towels down on the ground where the bumper cover is going to lay, then remove the 4 10 mm bolts (2 on each side) near the headlight assemblies. At this point the bumper cover will be able to be pulled off. Of note, you will need to pull out on the corners of the bumper cover to release some clips on the inside of the cover. At this point, once free of the clips, lay the bumper cover on the ground and you can remove the headlight assemblies using the 10mm socket, ratchet and a short extension.

Trust me, it is really easy to remove the bumper cover. Save yourself the hassle and just plan on removing the bumper cover.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:50 AM

Thermo, Im new to the forum and loving it already. I enjoy the comraderie with all the jag owners. I had a quick question I will be in Baltimore on a work contract due to BRAC and would like to know if you guide me in installing an aftermarket HID kit... I purchased one kit but I'm assured I I'll probably need several kits. I just found out I must have my right passenger headlight wiring redone....

Old 10-10-2010, 06:30 AM
Veteran member

Simply, come on down. I live about an hour south of DC, so, it will be about a 2 hour drive for you. If you want to do some research on where you are heading, look up a town called Great Mills, MD. I live on the north east corner of town.

What all lights are you looking to do? If you are only looking at doing either the headlights or the fog lights, then a single kit is all you need. If you are planning on doing both, then you will need 2 kits.

When will you be up in the area. I do have a few weekends that I have things already planned for. That way you are not wasting your time.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:48 PM

Damn, that install looks fantastic. Completely changes the look of the car.