X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help identifying noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 10:10 PM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Default need help identifying noise

I have an 05 3.0 Sport auto with 40k miles. I read through some of the propshaft threads but I'm not sure the noise I hear is the same, it isn't high pitched like others describe.

On cold days (sub freezing) I hear a whurring sound directly related to mph at low speeds until the car warms up. It sounds exactly like a worn speedometer cable from the old days. Revving the engine does nothing, it's only at low 10-20 mph and the pitch is directly related to mph. It sounds like it's coming through the firewall.

This is the first winter I've heard it and it goes away above freezing and after a few minutes driving. Thanks for any help.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

mine does the same thing! I have never found out what it is. Ever since I started hearing it, I now let my car warm up all the way before moving it. I think maybe a belt or something, it least that is what it sounds like.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:37 PM

Anyone have a clue?

Old 02-27-2009, 12:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont thnk its a belt, I had the same problem on my moms 05 Buick Rendevous and it turned out to b the water pump. by the way does anybody here hear water gargoling type noises when starting up on an angle???

Old 02-27-2009, 08:43 AM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I get the high pitched whine at higher speeds and the low pitched whurr at slow speed. I believe they are both from the prop shaft. They both go away after about 3 to 5 miles of driving. I can't say as I have ever tried to heat my car up all the way B4 driving off to see if the sound goes away.

Nice to see my 22 year old Buick with a little turbo V6 could keep up with some modern day Iron! Won't go around a curve like a Vette but the only turn I am concerned with is being FIRST onto the return road at the end of the 1/4 mile! LOL!

Old 02-27-2009, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Could be propshaft related. Could be water pump, although less likely and probably would have sh*t the bed by now.

I would guess that it is likely the transfer case however. I had similar "whirr" and "grind" type noises and it was the case. Replaced.

Is your Buick a Grand National? I always wanted a GNX, although they are big bucks these days....

Old 02-27-2009, 10:11 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mine is doing the same high pitched when is cold outhere, between 30 and 35 km/h.
I start to not bother too much, when outside is warm is back to normal.
First time I go scared though...
So, bottom line what is it? Should I become concerned or leave it?

Old 02-27-2009, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Tracus yours is prop shaft bearing. Search board for FAQ to grease it.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C5pilot
Anyone have a clue?
You can bet your boots its the propshaft, i went to great lengths to find this noise on mine and put up with it for 6 months untill it got worse you may find that it will start making the same noise above freezing as i did, I originaly thought the noise was comming from the air vents at first as it was so hard to pinpoint...mine made this noise at exactly 29.5 mph and at 12 mph, I tried all the greasing ideas without any improvement i then sprayed the propshaft rubber surround bush with silicon grease which srangley made the noise alter its frequency which to me gave the game away ...i was told it could be tyres /transfer box etc but i ruled out both as my X 04 reg had only covered 13000 mls so i took the gamble and paid for another prop to be fitted and there it was..problem now solved and it now runs like a gem (so quiet). For what its worth its not the bearing - its the rubber bushing that the bearing runs in.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:15 PM

Well, my friend has a lift so it sounds easy enough to check out. Most seem to agree it's probably the rubber boot that causes the noise, not the bearing. So my question is, what's it take to replace the rubber seal? Is it worth it?

Old 03-04-2009, 09:13 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

edit: whoops wrong thread. Me=dumbass

Last edited by jagxtype; 03-04-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Sorry C5, never heard of anyone servicing the center bearing, rubber boot. Prop shaft comes as a complete unit only. Unless you want to try it and then do a write up if it works...that would be cool.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:53 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, my friend has a lift so it sounds easy enough to check out. Most seem to agree it's probably the rubber boot that causes the noise, not the bearing. So my question is, what's it take to replace the rubber seal? Is it worth it?
it's not a seal, or a boot. the rubber part we're referring to is the mounting of the bearing. I imagine it was designed to absorb vibration and noise, rather than transfer it directly to the body of the car.
And it is NOT serviceable. It's only replaceable, and that only by replacing the prop-shaft. (or cut-n-weld, but by the time you rebalance, whats the point?)

Old 03-09-2009, 11:44 AM
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

I have an 05 3.0 Sport auto with 40k miles. I read through some of the propshaft threads but I'm not sure the noise I hear is the same, it isn't high pitched like others describe.

On cold days (sub freezing) I hear a whurring sound directly related to mph at low speeds until the car warms up. It sounds exactly like a worn speedometer cable from the old days. Revving the engine does nothing, it's only at low 10-20 mph and the pitch is directly related to mph. It sounds like it's coming through the firewall.

This is the first winter I've heard it and it goes away above freezing and after a few minutes driving. Thanks for any help.

You seem to have similar issue as I have. I poured over the forums and came to conclusion that it was my drive shaft. Installed a new one(remanufactured from Jaguar). The noise is reduced(the high pitch noise is all but gone) but lower pitch(50, 40, 30mph) and the whirring sound(10mph) is still there. The noise are related to road speed, not engine.

It seems like the noise is coming through the firewall, maybe in front of console area. And at the peak(40 - 45mph) I can feel the vibration on the shifter knob(automatic transmission). So it looks like I'm back to the drawing board. It would be great to hear from the forum gurus.