X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with a problem I admittedly don't understand

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 12:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with a problem I admittedly don't understand

I have an 02 X-Type 2.5 Sport. It is a manual.

Anyway, yesterday my car slowed down to a crawl on my way to work. It had to be stopped, and completely restarted where it worked just fine. It made no noises, just this gradual loss in speed. I think this may have been 'limp home mode'. On my way home from work it slowed down then stopped completely and would not start. To be specific, it will turn over but then stall out a half a second later. Opening the hood, it looks like there is a belt that may be loose towards the front of the car. As I try to start it, it doesn't look like its moving as fast as it should be. (Alternator belt?)

For some background information which may or may not be relevant. The car has done the slow down and need to be restarted thing three other times in the 14 or so months I have owned it.

Twice immediately after activating the cruise control.
Once when I was low on gas. There was no warning light to say I was low, but the light came on the second I restarted the car. I will say that my warning light comes on a lot later than it used to ever since I got stuck in a traffic jam and the car completely ran out of gas to the point of having to fill it with a gas can.

Any ideas would be great. Unfortunately, I don't have a reliable repairman who I can trust to do things at reasonable prices. I have one of those 'see him coming' faces.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:42 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Elrod, sounds like you are suffering from one of two issues. I bet all of this happens when it is cold out too? How far off am I?

The first and easier check is to remove the plastic cover off of the engine and then next to the throttle body (big silver piece inline where the air comes in), you will see a 1" hose that is about 10" long that runs from the intake to the air box. Feel on the underside of it and see if you can feel a slit in the tube. If so, it is bad and causing a major air leak. Replace with the upgraded piece from the factory. Next, with the engine running, run your finger on the passenger side of the intake around where the 2 black plastic circles attach to the intake. Can you hear an air suction sound and when you run your finger across the seam, the noise changes? if so, you have a bad IMT o-ring. Both of these are common problems with our cars that can result in what you are seeing. Replacing the O-Rings is really easy, just have to get the parts from the dealership.

Now for the words that you don't want to hear. The other possibility is that your throttlebody is starting to go. I would recommend having a Jaguar shop (not necessarily a dealership, but a shop that is familiar with Jags) take a look at the car and see what they say. To get a new throttlebody is about $1400. Oh, you want it installed!!!! That is more. There is a cheaper alternative, but this involves spending $400 and about a week without your vehicle since you will have to send your throttlebody out to be rebuilt. Look on e-bay, there are people offering this service.

If you need more detail, let me know. If you live near southern maryland, let me know. I will have you come over and then we can do a once over of the vehicle and go from there.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts
Default Excellent advice Thermo

Elmo, Thermo is an excellent source in troubleshooting the "X".

Old 01-07-2010, 09:44 PM
Veteran member

elraido, I am not sure why, but try finding parts for it. I wish you luck. That is what people are willing to spend for the part, so, therefore, that is what they charge. If I could get my hands on the parts, I would rebuild them myself and make a few bucks while saving the members here a ton of money. Rebuilding them isn't all that hard, especially seeing that you would be replacing entire assemblies, not having to rebuild something with tons of small parts.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:53 PM

Man i sure hope it's that first thing. My car is in a Movie Trading Company parking lot not too far from my house so I won't get a chance to look at in the daylight until Saturday.

I read around in this section quite a bit so I have heard about the problem with the IMT o-rings. Do the rings and the hose both need to be obtained at the dealership or would an O'Reilly's have them?

I miss my car already. I am in my grand-mother in law's Acura and it is so boring that I forget what it looks like as soon as I turn around.

Thank you very much Thermo. I was hoping that it would be you who answers.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:55 PM
Veteran member

Elrod, the O-rings are obtainable from the dealership only. I have tried to get them through a local auto parts store but they just laugh at me. As for the hose, you can try to find it at the local auto parts store, but I think you will find the same thing. About the only things I have found the auto parts stores to be good for with our cars is brake pads, oil, filters, and tires. You need much more than that and you are having to call up a dealership. Now, if you look around, you may be able to find an auto parts store that specializes in foreign vehicles and in that case, they may be a better group to go through. I know when I lived in Norfolk, VA, there was a place near my house that had all sorts of goodies for cars like ours. Their prices were even pretty good too.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:26 PM

What exactly is the name of that hose?

Old 01-09-2010, 07:36 AM
Veteran member

inlet manifold-rocker cover breather pipe
The part number is C2S40863

Old 01-09-2010, 01:07 PM

I got a chance to look at the car this morning. The hose looks fine, but since the car won't start I can't see if air is escaping in an unseen crack. The IMT rings are definitely bad as I can see oil residue out of the sides of one of them. I am on my way to get the rings, but probably won't get a chance to put them in until tomorrow.

When I left the car in the lot, it would still start, just reluctantly after much cajoling then immediately fail. Now it won't turn over. My first thought was that sitting out here in the cold for a few days drained the battery, but it sounds like the battery has juice, and I tried jumping it to no avail. Could the o-rings/ breather pipe make it not even start.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:44 PM
Veteran member

Elrod, take a multimeter with you the next time you go to the car. Remove the cover off of the battery and connect up the multimeter to the battery (red to red, black to black). The multimeter should read up near 12.6 VDC (12.5 VDC or higher is find). If you are down around 12.3 VDC or lower, then your battery is drained. If you have a good voltage reading initially, with the multimeter still connected, attempt to start the car. The multimeter should drop by about 1.0 VDC to around 11.5 VDC (anything above 11.0 VDC is good). if you are dipping below 11.0 VDC, you have a weak battery, probably need to replace the battery (I would first try putting a charge on the battery and then doing the checks again, letting a battery sit in a computerized car can drain the battery if not run periodically). If the multimeter is staying up over 12.0 VDC, then your starter is not engaging and you have an electrical problem with the starting system.

Let me know what you find and I will help you from there. To put a quick charge on the battery, install a set of jumper cables to the battery and let the car you drove in charge your Jag's battery for about 15 minutes. That should get the battery back up to near 100% and get the motor to turn over if it is a weak battery due to sitting.