X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help w/noise from engine...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 09:48 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just thought I would add this...

the car stays very hot after shutting down. We park it in the garage and I have owned a few cars by now and I have never had one stay hot like this one does. You know how on a real hot summer day the hood is hot and the engine stays hot for a long time? Well thats how this car is except its all the time. Maybe this is normal for the X-Type???

Old 03-11-2009, 12:10 PM
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Need help w/noise from engine

The engine compartment can fry eggs! It is a very hot engine compartment. If you ever have a fuel leak in there, you'll definitely know pretty quick.

I would like to know how your temp gauge looks. High, low or in the middle. You might have a sticky thermostat or worse, a dead thermostat that has closed. This will cause the water to percolate in the blocks’ water ports and jackets, much like the old school coffee pots with the small hollow glass top piece.

Have you checked your coolant hoses? There are several, not just two going to radiator. Look at the oil filter area also, you should see two more hoses.

As far as a water pump test???? You could attempt to wiggle the water pump pulley to check for bearing slop and look for Antifreeze leak signs near weep hole. You could have someone in the car with the engine running and attempt to locate the sound better and at the same time pay attention to the water pump belt to make sure it is not expanding when revving the engine, this would give you a clue about the Water Pump Tensioner.

Curious question...has the HEATER been used much? The reason I ask is that an air pocket can get trapped in your heater core inside the vehicle. To remove air pocket, top off the "Fluid Reservoir" and make sure it is at the proper level. Next drive vehicle and get it to Operating temperature. Now turn on the heater to MAX heat. While running heater, check the Fluid level again. CAUTION should be taken if you have to remove the cap and add some more fluid. Allow the Heater to run at MAX Heat for several minutes. This will rule out the heater core air bubble symptom.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:56 PM

The temp guage reads right in the middle. Never on the hot side.
The heat has been used, and quite frequently.
I will check the coolant level and the hoses.
Will also check the other items you mentioned and report back in a day or so...

Thank you for your input.

afonda

Old 03-11-2009, 04:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is the Private Message from Mr. Afonda;

"You should go and re-read what you wrote not only in your first post but also in your 2nd post that is within the thread I started. Some of your sentences don't "flow" and are not making any sense.
ie... I cant understand what you are trying to convey.
As for noise location... the best I can identify it, is on the drivers side somewhere.
I will also tell you that i am no rookie to working on cars. I have never worked on a Jag before which is why i have come to this forum for a little guidance.

I dont appreciate your sarcasm and I think you owe me an apology!!! "

Honestly, I had an awful feeling reading this private message.

Anyway, I do know sometimes I am a litle bit confusing because english it is not my first language and I do apologize for that.

Regarding your personal letter, it just showed to me a different side of what you said on the forum.
I honestly consider that I do not owe you any appologies since my trully intention was just to help you because I do know how you feel.
I do own a Jaguar too, I am frustrated of few things also, but I found one wonderful forum in here (I am being very honest in here because I am a moderator for a BMW forum in another country) and these guys sent me encouraging posts and helped me with all the knowledge they have since my first day in here! Not to mention that I even didn't expected to find an answer in hours!

And to be honest, after I have read your letter, I just quitt to come in here because I felt really bad.

Back on topic:
this engine runs really hot. Since your engine temperature is normal, I assume your extra heat is coming from that pulley which probably has extra friction. It can be the pulley, but it can be the water pump bearing too. Obviously it still works since you do have cooling but that it doesn't mean is in a good shape. The technician that found it out for me used a stetoscop to detect the noise and we found the pulley defective. I have it replaced, for $100 part and labor . Did you tried to see if the water pump bearing or pulley are hotter that the rest of the components?

Last edited by Tracus; 03-11-2009 at 05:19 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 638 Likes on 440 Posts

Let's just say a misunderstanding and please get along well otherwise I will have to lock this thread to prevent it from turning into a quarrel

Old 03-17-2009, 07:22 AM

I was finally able to get the wife out and in the drivers seat to rev the engine while I looked for the noise.

The noise seems to be coming from above the tranny. I could not say for certain that the noise is coming from the water pump/bearing assembly. if anyone has any suggestions I am all ears.

I may just go ahead and replace the water pump since it looks original and the car has about 107K miles her.

Just to recap.. it sounds like a whining/whuring with gurgeling thrown in the mix... Also it is intermittent at different RPM's...