X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny Question...

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 09:04 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tranny Question...

I was told my Jag had the tranny replaced at about 95,000 miles. This was verified and done by a Jag ***********. The Jag now has about 110,000 on the reman tranny. The tranny says "JATCO Remanufactured Transmission". The TC also says JATCO on it but I'm not sure if it was replaced at the same time or if it is the original TC to the car.

Question: Is any maintenance suggested at this time?

Also, what is the general consensus on these remaned tranny's?

Old 03-12-2009, 10:53 AM
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

Afonda,
PLEASE reframe from calling "Dealership" the other word. The help you seek here and the help that is SPOT on normally comes from Techs working for Dealerships. FYI I have read other posts here where this language is not appreciated and is inflamatory toward those same individuals you would like to have help you.

I know it seems like "this forum" is coming down on you for your "attitude" but maybe, just maybe, you could try sugar coating your words and not be agressive in your language.

We can all get along here if we show some respect toward each other. This is how we can make progress. No one here owes anyone anything. I am the least of all of these brothers and therefore I act accordingly.

Please do not take this worng, I am not attacking you. I am simply attempting to help you get the help you desire.

Decorum

With that out of the way. Your Tranny and TC should be drained and re-filled somewhere about 50k miles. This assumes you have had no leaks from their seals. The tranny actually has a "fluid level check port" on it. The Transfer Case has none. Check the FAQ section for details.

This is the Procedure for the Tranny check.

Transmission Fluid Level Check
1) Raise and support the vehicle.

2) Connect the Jaguar Approved Diagnostic System.

3) Make sure J-Gate shift selector is in the Park position (P).

4) With the engine running and the foot brake applied, move the J-Gate shift selector through 'P-R-N-D-4-3-2' and back to the 'P' position to circulate the automatic transmission fluid until the temperature reaches 30 to 40°C (86 to 104°F) on the Jaguar Approved Diagnostic System.

5) When the automatic transmission fluid temperature reaches 35°C (95°F) check that the selector lever is in the 'P' position raise the vehicle.

6) With the engine running, remove the automatic transmission fluid level tube plug.
  • Remove and discard the level plug and sealing washer.

NOTE:
Use automatic transmission fluid WSS-M2C922-A1 or equivalent meeting Jaguar specification.
7) If the automatic transmission fluid does not come out of the transmission fluid level tube the automatic transmission fluid level is insufficient. If this is the case add the automatic transmission fluid in 0.5 litre units into the automatic transmission fluid charging pipe until the automatic transmission fluid comes out of the automatic transmission fluid level tube.
  • Remove the automatic transmission fluid charging pipe cap.

8) NOTE:
Make sure the automatic transmission fluid temperature does not exceed 40°C (104°F). If the automatic transmission fluid temperature does exceed 40°C (104°F) stop the automatic transmission fluid level check and allow the automatic transmission fluid to cool until the temperature reaches 30 to 40°C (86 to 104°F).
Allow the automatic transmission fluid to come out of the automatic transmission fluid level tube until the overflow stops at a temperature of no more than 40°C (104°F).

9) If when the automatic transmission fluid level plug is first removed and automatic transmission fluid comes out of the automatic transmission fluid level

There are other methods for draining and re-filling the Tranny that involve a procedure that "could" damage your Tranny since you end up running it DRY, albeit for a moment or two. It is a very EXPENSIVE method if something goes wrong.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:02 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I see in the post "temperature reaches 30 to 40°C (86 to 104°F)." -- is that just
the normal operating temp? Is this the temp when my temp gauge inside the car
is sitting in the middle of the gauge --/thanks --clayton

Old 03-16-2009, 05:05 PM
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

Clayton,
I do not know for sure but my guess is that the 104°F temp is the "open" temp required to get all the proper solenoids open so the fluid is circulating throughout the Tranny and cooler. The engine will attain it's temp set by the Thermostat installed. You could loose too much fluid if over the 104 temp and if under the 86 you could overfill. I have heard of some people using a thermo gun to check the temp. You can pick these up at most auto parts store.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thank you.

For the very detailed ouline of the maintenance procedure.

What angle is the view on those drawings? (bottom / top)?

Also, what is the location of the "charging pipe"? Is it difficult to pour the fluid into this charging pipe?

any special tools needed for this ?

Old 03-17-2009, 03:22 PM
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

The second illustration is top view of the area below the brake master cycliner and behind the car battery. It's not easy to pour ATF oil through the charging pipe. It's double threaded boss on transmission case with very small opening( apprxly 4mm dia ). I ended up using PVC pipe that fitted over the whole boss and used electrical tape to fill the gap between boss and inside of the PVC pipe.