X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a How To on front Anti Sway Bushes Change

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 11:20 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Need a How To on front Anti Sway Bushes Change

I've had my 2004 Xtype 3.0 now for just over a month and have had fun doing a few odds and ends to it. This past week I installed a SS mesh grill I bought from another forum member, replaced the driver's side sunvisor since mine was missing the door for the lighted mirror, and replaced a side marker with one I bought new from the UK. Today I tackled some mechanical stuff - I installed new front rotor and pads and also the front sway bar links. It went well and I had a blast working on the Jaguar. I finally got to use my metric gear wrenches and also metric hex wrenches! I will do the rear brakes tomorrow hopefully since I ran out of time today on those. I had a clunk going over bumps and thought it was my sway end links and while my links did need to be changed the real culprit is the bushes on front. I can make the clunk by moving the bar by hand. Lots of play. I searched the forum and also my Haynes repair manual and am confused. I see conflicting advice on lowering entire sub frame, to only doing a slight drop on each side, to no drop at all and just loosen the steering rack dust boot for access. I really wish there was a video or some pictures with steps but I can't find any. I have to concept on what it means to lower the sub frame. Any advice or steps to replace bushes/bushings would be appreciated.

Old 02-23-2016, 12:17 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check the how to thread that Jim has as a sticky.

I know there are some steering threads there.

Gee

Old 02-23-2016, 05:06 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks but I checked there and did several searches before I posted my request. I found tons of useful info in the How To areas but not on how to actually replace the sway bushes. I see conflicting info on whether to drop the sub frame or not. One post I found in a search implies one can just remove the dust boot on steering rack and gain enough room to not drop anything on the suspension. Would really like some first hand comments if anyone has changed their own sway bar bushings.

Old 02-23-2016, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

I changed mine without either lowering the sub frame or moving the rack bellows. Access is very tight doing it this way, but minimises disturbing things. In the end it depends on your range and variety of spanner types and sizes (as we call wrenches over here!)