X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need interior heat.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 05:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need interior heat.

My 2002 x type doesn't supply warm air to the interior. the fan blows, the climate control module seems to work properly. the engine temperature shows to be correct, but I only have cold air. Someone said something about a valve or something behind the glove box may be stuck. could someone please advise me as where to search to solve this issue. The temperature will drop to freezing next week.
thanks.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:48 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

2002, I would first start with checking to make sure that the expansion tank has the proper level of fluid in it. Numerous members have found that their overflow bottle was near empty and while the car still ran fine, it couldn't pump the fluid into the cab of the vehicle to supply warm air.

If the overflow bottle is fine, then odds are you had the blend door actuator slip and it is currently stuck in the cool mode. To access it, you will need to remove the glove box and then if you look, you will see 3 actuators on the side of the ventilation column. There are 2 stacked one above the other and then a third in line with the lower actuator, but up against the firewall. The one against the firewall is the one in question here. What you can do is to start up the car, get it up to temp and then remove the actuator and move the damper manually. See if you get heat that way. If so, then I would put on the actuator again and go from there. If you find that you loose your heat again, you may find that you will have to glue the rod to the actuator to prevent it from slipping (there is a TSB on this, I can send it your way if you need proof of what I am talking about).

The following users liked this post:
2002Xtype (10-21-2013)
Old 10-21-2013, 08:16 AM
Default thank you

Thanks so very much. I will check that this morning. I know the fluid levels are correct and the climate control data shows that it is working properly. When I change the settings to heat I think there was a sound under the dash, but I don't here that anymore. I'll be so happy if this helps.
Thanks again

Old 10-21-2013, 11:11 AM

All of those seem to be working properly, What next? Checked fluid levels, all good. Still cold air

Old 10-22-2013, 06:01 PM
Veteran member

2002, I think the next step at this point is to remove the glove box and then take the car out for a drive to get it up to temp. Then park the car, but with the engine still running. At this point, jump into the passenger seat so you can see the 3 actuators and what you are going to do is to dial the temp down to make the car want to cool the interior. Note where the actuators are sitting along with the center shafts. From there, dial the temp all the way up. You should only see a single actuator move (this will be the blend door moving from the cooling coil to the heater core). Note the new position of the actuators (if they moved) and also the center shafts. It is a noted problem that the actuators will slip on the shafts and that will leave the blend door stuck in a given position.

If the actuator doesn't move, then we may have a bad actuator or a bad heater control board. I am making the assumption that because you talk about the climate control data, that you have the NAV system with the integrated heater controls in the radio. If this is not the case, please let me know.

2002Xtype (10-23-2013)
Old 10-23-2013, 06:23 AM

Thanks, The only actuator you can see move is the first one. It has like a gear you can see. The other 2 you can't see operate, but can tell by the sound they are working. I removed each and by adjusting the controls they are working. I am thinking, If I go to a place that uses the vacumn system to remove the fluids and refill, would that posible help. The hoses on each side of the thermostat are hot. I don't know where to find the heater hoses to check those. I'm more familier with my American, older cars that have heater hoses running along side a V-8 engine. Do I have to remove anything to see the heater hoses and see if I have heat there. Sorry to ask so many questions. I thnk you so much for helping.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:26 AM

I don't have the nav system. The climate control system is there and by going to automatic it shows the outside temperature and you can adjust the interior temps It will warm the car and adjust when reaching the temperature you set or you can adjust each segment without going to automatic. I may be calling it by the wrong name.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:43 AM
Jac
Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

It could be your thermostat. When a thermostat fails, it will either stick open or closed. When it's stuck closed your engine will overheat. When it's stuck open you will have no heater.

2002Xtype (10-23-2013)
Old 10-23-2013, 06:58 AM
Veteran member

Jac, but he is also not complaining about the temp gauge running low. Having been in the situation where the thermostat was stuck open, I found that the temp gauge only came up to the 1/4 scale point, not the 1/2 scale point. Also, my mileage tanked big time because the car was trying to warm itself up.

2002Xtype (10-23-2013)
Old 10-23-2013, 09:27 AM

my temp shows half way which is normal. Also, I am getting 25 mpg. Mostly highway. thanks for the help. I thought about taking the car to a shop that uses suction to remove the liquid from the cooling system and have ir refilled. Don't know if the suction would reach the heater core. Where do I find the heater hoses to see if they are hot. I don't see those. I'm more familier with American cars.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:00 AM
Veteran member

2002, it is possible that because you had the system recently flushed, that some garbage got trapped in the heater core and is therefore not allowing flow. I have had some luck in freeing these blockages. But then, I am using an air compressor (shooting up to 125 psi air) and using a technique known as water hammering (shooting a slug of water down the line and letting it strike the blockage to break it up).

As for where the lines are, I would need to look at my car. Granted, if you open up the hood, you will be able to spot them as they are the only lines about the size of your thumb going to the firewall. These will also be side by side when they go through.

2002Xtype (10-24-2013)
Old 10-24-2013, 08:50 AM

hoses may be at the bottom, I don't see any from the top

Old 09-14-2014, 11:11 AM
Default need interior heat

Sorry to be so ignorant, but what is the expansion tank. Is this same thing as the tank that holds the coolant liquid (orange)? I have the same problem fan works, but no heat. I did disconnect the battery for 5 minutes. Solved nothing. The orange coolant is down to the minimum level and i will add tomorrow some coolant.
thanks
frujag

Old 09-14-2014, 12:03 PM
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by frujag
Sorry to be so ignorant, but what is the expansion tank. Is this same thing as the tank that holds the coolant liquid (orange)? I have the same problem fan works, but no heat. I did disconnect the battery for 5 minutes. Solved nothing. The orange coolant is down to the minimum level and i will add tomorrow some coolant.
thanks
frujag
Yeah that's the one.
Min/Max levels