Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need New Keys / Need Replacement Keys

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 12:04 PM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Need New Keys / Need Replacement Keys

I have a single key for the car, on a factory remote.

What I want are two additional "Valet" key blanks, and a replacement blank key blade for the used remote fob I bought off of Ebay with an existing cut key in it.

The nearest dealerships are both about 10 hours one-way from my location, and want - of course - "about $500 or $600" to cut and program such a set. I finally located a locksmith about 5 hours away that can and will cut and program the blanks for me, but refuses to do so with ANY "aftermarket" key.

He will ONLY cut a real Jaguar factory set for me; he said not only are aftermarkets likely to be unprogrammable, he claims to have actually destroyed an ECM (on a VW that uses a transponder key) using a pre-programmed key, and simply made it a hard and fast rule: ONLY new Factory key blanks.

I am fine with his requirement, as he only wants $65 for his services. But know that the same dealerships I spoke with will simply rape me over the blanks.

Can someone recommend a Jaguar Dealersip that won't rape me? I will make good mention of them in the Forum in return, I promise.

Please know I did a Search of the forum prior to posting, without success - and also of the advertisers here and on Google. The hard one to come up with is the replacement blade w/transponder for the extra remote.

Thanks!

Old 02-13-2012, 03:57 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Century Automotive, Huntsville AL. They are the local Jaguar dealership here in my city. They sold me a key blank for $64 just this morning. They keep them in stock so they should have some to send you. Hope they can help you out like they did me.

The following users liked this post:
Bruce in North Dakota (02-14-2012)
Old 02-13-2012, 06:27 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a brand new factory uncut key and brand new factory remote listed in the classified section. Bought them for my car but sold it before I had it cut and programmed.

Dan

Old 02-14-2012, 07:49 AM

deedward,

Thank you for the response. I did leave a reply in the thread you referred me in the classified section, but it looks like the other fellow was there in line before me.

Also - I do have the full remote, so I really just need the uncut keyblade half for mine.

But since I picked it up on Ebay for only $20 or so, I am willing to take a "wash" on it to buy your full setup, should the other fellow be unable to complete the purchase.

(provided the dealer that myjaghasspark referred me to is unable to provide me that specific part).

Question to myjaghasspark: Did you purchase the "Valet" key, or the keyblade part for a remote from that Dealer for $65 ?

Anyone else want to chime in? I'm at maybe $195 for the three keys I'd like now; anyone have a brother-in-law that works in the parts department of a Jag dealer???

I love this forum, thanks folks.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:02 AM

It was the key blade for the remote.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:08 AM

Thank You!!!

Originally Posted by myjaghasspark
It was the key blade for the remote.
(Sorry, deedward - it's too good of deal to pass up, I need to "pass" on your offer)

Old 02-15-2012, 10:36 AM

@Bruce just curious but how did it go finding those keys? did that dealership quote you the same price as they did me? i only asked because i called to two other dealerships and they were asking around 100 for the blank keys.