Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need to vent

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Need to vent

SO today, leaving the local mall after grabbing a quick bite and I noticed the dirt was cleared from a small area on my rear bumper. I take a closer look...somebody hit it. And drove off.

So I talk to my father and the insurance wont cover it, so now Im stuck witha white gash in my bumper fan f**king tastic.

I also notice that theres a noticeable gap where the lower bumper over meets the top off. I am pissed right off.

The scratch is down to the primer, does anybody know what I can do about this? My inusrance has a 500 dollar deductable. And i have never been in a accident the two-3 years ive had the car.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

have you priced out what it cost to get it painted? not just the spot, but the whole bumper.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:22 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Disco, if you don't mind doing a bit of work on your own, depending on the size of the scratch, you can fill it in with very little indication that the scratch was ever there. But, you will need to get a small jar of paint that matches your car, a little bit of thinner and a very fine paint brush.

What you will end up doing is pulling the bumper off of the car and positioning it so the scratch is pointing straight up (want the scratch as level as possible). Now, in a small container, mix the paint about 3 parts paint to 1 part thinner (go with more paint initially). What you are looking for is a consistency that will easily flow into the scratch and even flow down it slightly, but not so thin that it wants to run everywhere. From there, you will use the paint brush to put some paint on the end, drop that into the scratch and then using the paint brush, move it around some. Keep adding in paint drop by drop to bring the fresh paint up to a level just slightly higher than the factory paint. Let dry and you will find that the paint will shrink a little bit and be just about flush with the rest of the paint. If you use the "touch-up" paints, then you shouldn't need to do any clear over the top either. A little bit of rubbing with a clear coat scratch remover and you will hardly be able to tell that the scratch is there.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  19.3 KB

Depending on how bad it is you could go for a S.MA.R.T repair.....usually a lot cheaper tha na full bumper respray and matched to your paint so you'd never know for a fraction of the price!

Not ideal I know but probably the best solution

Old 03-15-2011, 09:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

Get it spot repaired and blended. This happened to me recently and I got it done for $350. Do some shopping around and go to your trusted auto body shop. It shouldn't be too much.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 536 Likes on 415 Posts

This kind of repair- bumper removal, respray and replace- runs about $750 in BC.
Maybe it was the same guy who scraped the bumper on my X5 last week....

Old 03-15-2011, 11:07 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

EXACT same thing happened to me! same spot even.
Bought a little factory paint and then did exactly as Thermo said. BARELY noticeable. I change cars like underwear, so likely won't pay for a spot-fix at body shop.

btw, there are so many nasty people out there doing this type of thing! Of my 3 currently-owned cars, they ALL have a spot where someone has hit-and-ran them!!!!

Old 03-15-2011, 11:33 PM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Disco, I feel your pain. At least your own father didn't back into your X like mine did. We both drove to a wedding, he's old, and, well you know. Hey, the guy only has one good eye, so what could I say. It's just a scratch and it's just a car.

Seems we get better at acceptance with age. My Corvette got rear-ended this winter too. Again, it's just a scratch and it's just a car. Waiting for warm weather to deal with paint on a plastic car.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:52 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm with you disco. I waited for the driver on this one & stay calmed but really **** deep inside.

Attached Thumbnails Need to vent-explorer-kissing-my-cat.jpg  
Old 03-16-2011, 04:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

I feel your pain , good thing it's not beyond repair . This is one of the main reasons why I like massive chrome bumpers rather than flimsy crappy cheap plastic bumper covers

Old 03-16-2011, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Disco, you also said you have a "gap"? Probably worth getting an assessment at a body shop as they may be able to adjust it back again when they fix the scrape, if you aren't into doing it yourself. Unfortunately, parking lot dings are a fact of life. Not everyone is a top notch driver like Jag people.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:08 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

these types of things frustrate me to no end. I began parking at the back of any lot I park in now away from any cars for this very reason. Haven't had a nick since, so it's worth the extra walking

Old 03-16-2011, 11:58 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just hate it though when I deliberately park in BFE because there's nobody else around. But when I come back out, somebody is right next to me even though there's other empty spaces around.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found mine dinged just 2 weeks after a full respray. Talk about ruining your day.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:49 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by exrub
I just hate it though when I deliberately park in BFE because there's nobody else around. But when I come back out, somebody is right next to me even though there's other empty spaces around.
JEALOUSY is a nasty beast. I've had the SAME thing happen to me several times! It's always a rusty pontiac or one of those french-looking little clown-cars.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockyf
I'm with you disco. I waited for the driver on this one & stay calmed but really **** deep inside.
Holy crap, I'd be furious!

Old 03-16-2011, 07:41 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

lets see a pic of the damage, if its a scratch and not through the paint then you can probably buff it out, but it sounds like it is through the paint.
also you may be able to adjust your bumper yourself, so lets see the gap, maybe we can give you better direction.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I should my friend the gap, not major but its there, and the scratch although small is down to the primer.

Yea I park in paved lot at school, with other cars, theres a few mercedes and audios, and alot of older pos cars, but nobody touched my car. Then go to the mall for literally 15 minutes, asshle hits my car and drives off.

It ruined my day.

ANybody got any nasty stories on this topic?

Old 03-17-2011, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by exrub
X2 - I always park way out in the empty space areas, hopefully at a spot on the end where someone could only park on one side of me. Never fails, come back out and there is a mini van or something parked right beside me.

I'll admit it, if someone parks extremely close, like half into my spot, I'll do something - a nice lugi on the windshield, gum under the door handle, etc.

When i had my X, I was parked at work and some a-hole in a Cobalt parked so close to my drivers door I couldn't get in between the cars. I had to clamber over the passenger seat to get in. I'm 6'5", that is not an easy thing. I won't say what I did to that Cobalt....