X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new cat owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 12:51 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question new cat owner

hello folks, i have just taken delivery of my cat after months of waiting and to be honest i just love it, though not new, everything about the car is gorgeous. it currently has a little over 48K on the clock and i think this is good for an 03 model 2.5L. So for the start what are the things you think i should take a critical look at because i don't have a jaguar dealer in my country.

Again, what is the realistic fuel consumption for this 2.5L x-type 03 model. the literature says city/highway is 19/28 but i want to know about real life experience. Does the environment in which you operate the car affect the consumption? Am currently in Ghana where the weather is almost always very hot. When i was using my bmw E46 2000model i got 22.5miles on the gallon but i got pissed with the car because its very common on the road and i wanted something different. anyway i only do city driving and traffic conditions can hold me for up to an hr before i get to work which is only 22miles from where i live.

Any help will be appreciated.

thank u

Old 04-01-2011, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Hey Congratulation, and welcome. Main concerns with our are the fluids, Jaguar maintains the transfer case and Transmission is sealed for life, a good idea is to have them checked and maybe changed out.

I get between 19 and 22 MPG combined, I am 45 KM or so from my office combines city and highway, almost always rush hour so stop and go traffic.

Everything you need to know about everything you need to know is here. Welcome aboard.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

WElcome, happy safe driving
Don't forget to check out FAQs ,they're very useful tips

Old 04-02-2011, 06:12 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

thanks guys, will do that

Old 04-02-2011, 07:15 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Baffourg, as for things to get checked before ending up far from your dealership, here is a list:

-transfer case fluid drain/refill (must do to ensure long life of the transfer case)
-check the vacuum line between the intake and the brake booster for signs of cracks
-check the large hose running between the intake and the PCV valve to make sure that it is a ribbed hose, not a smooth hose (the smooth ones seem to fail a lot more often and Jaguar has since released a new design which is much better)

I'm not sure how you drive, but please keep in mind that there is a vulnerability with the X-Type in that the transfer case is the weak link in the car. So, if you like to accelerate fast from light to light all the time, this is going to be an expensive car to own. You drive sensibly, the transfer case will outlast the car. Now, am I saying that you need to always be gentle on the car, by no means. But, understand that the more you race the car, the more likely the transfer case is going to fail. At $3000 USD to replace, it is not a cheap thing.

As for mileage, it really depends on how you drive. From my experience having the 3.0L motor (but the 2.5L motor I hear gets pretty much the same mileage), I get about 17 MPG in town and cruising at 70 mph, about 25 MPG. Overall, with a normal drive that is about 1/3 city, 2/3 highway, I normally get 21-22 MPG. Also keep in mind that Jag runs these cars richer than most when the motors are cold. So, that will also have an effect on your mileage (I see about a 2-3 mpg difference between summer weather which is 80's normally and the winter weather which is in the 30's).

Stick around, see what you can learn about the car, and go from there. If you have any mechanical ability, you will be surprised as to what you can fix on these cars. That will save you a lot of money in the long run.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
As for mileage, it really depends on how you drive. From my experience having the 3.0L motor (but the 2.5L motor I hear gets pretty much the same mileage), I get about 17 MPG in town and cruising at 70 mph, about 25 MPG. Overall, with a normal drive that is about 1/3 city, 2/3 highway, I normally get 21-22 MPG. Also keep in mind that Jag runs these cars richer than most when the motors are cold. So, that will also have an effect on your mileage (I see about a 2-3 mpg difference between summer weather which is 80's normally and the winter weather which is in the 30's).
Man, I had no idea about that cold weather deal. I was wondering why my mileage was so horrible this winter (first winter I've had my cat). Thanks for the knowledge!