X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New discs/pads rubbing and getting hot!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 08:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry New discs/pads rubbing and getting hot!

Help me pleeease, I replaced my discs and pads last week and all was going fine till I tried to rewind the rear caliper, long story short, new £90 caliper for me. Finally finished the job and looks great, unfortuanatley though, my pads are very slightly rubbing on my discs at a few areas as the discs turn.
I've tried copper grease, cleaning the pistons and even snapping off the clips on the brake pads (Recommemded by mechanic who says they usually cause a problem with stopping the pads moving freely.)
NOPE, still rubbing and now a lovely rattle. New pads delivered today and I would really like to get this sorted out in the next few days. Has anybody got any ideas what the problem could be or how I can rectify the problem?
Many thanks in advance and I hope you lovely people can help me. Cheers, L17LED.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:43 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

is it all 4 rubbing?
You said rubbing on some points on disks...warped rotors?
You may have to replace the calipers, I have the same issue with
Dragging pads on my jimmy. Apparently it is common for the piston to form a little rust
When the piston is out a little due to worn out pads, so when the pads are replaced
You reloaded the pistons and pushed rust in.
Some shops do caliper service..I was quoted $50 each by my local shop but another mechanic said don't waste
My money and to just replace them.

How did you reload the back pistons? There is a special tool that clips on and cranks them back in..big pain don't know why they didn't just use ones you could compress like every other car...

Old 09-30-2009, 09:35 AM

Four new rotors with pads. All four are rubbing, some more than others (All four spin freely but slightly catch at different points on the disc as it turns). One of the calipers is brand new and that one is still rubbing.
I'm getting tired of trying to sort it. I know my old pads were well worn down. Maybe the pistons are shot but I'm hoping they aren't. One rear caliper was £90 and have not priced front ones yet.
Yes i did use the rewind tool, one clockwise one anti-clockwise.I think I'll try to clean them some how.
Thanks for the reply!

Last edited by l17led; 09-30-2009 at 09:41 AM.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:01 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Rubbing Brake Pads

A couple of things:

First, never, and I mean never, listen to a mechanic who tells you to break something off of a part. Never.

Second, remove the rotors and clean the rear mating surface of the rotor and the area where it mates to the hub. There will be some rust there on the hub, that's why you had trouble getting your old rotors off.

Third, get some "Never Seize" and put a THIN coat on the hub mating surface.

Forth, install your wheel lugs ( and every other bolt and nut including the ones that hold on you brake calipers) with a torque wrench. Yoo can get thh recommended torque values from the shop manual.

Fifth, make sure you put the recommended brake anti-squeal backing plates behind the pads and I'd use anti-squeal caulk also.

And as another suggestion, you probably didn't replace the bolts that hold you your calipers like the manual says, so at the very least, use "Blue" LocTite on them when you torque them.

If you haven't buggered up the rotor or something else, this procedure should put things right.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:08 AM

Cheers Wild Bill, Sounds like a plan. Felt like I was back at school getting told off by the teacher for a moment there. LOL Gonna have a go at this tomorrow as I'm actually off work and have more than 3 hours to do it. Gonna see if I can get the replacement bolts and anti-squeal backing pads from my local parts place in the morning and hopefully fingers crossed, you are a legend and it works! LOL Thanks again.