Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Drive Shaft?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 03:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Drive Shaft?

Evening Everyone,

Vehicle: X-Type, 57 Plate, 2.2D, 6 speed Manual, Front wheel drive, issue on Drivers side.

I've had a wobble in my steering ever since I hit a large pothole on a motorway. Been trying to resolve the issue over the past few months. The pothole hit my drivers side, front and back, flattened my front ali wheel over 8inches!
Since then, I have replaced all 4 tyres, replaced 2 wheels, rear hubs, discs and pad all round, had 4 wheel laser alignment done and still i have a wobble over 50mph and gets worse on breaking.
The front has brand new Jaguar discs and pads, the two best balanced wheels and two new P6000 tyres. Its not the disks or wheels causing this wobble. There is no play or noise in the front wheel bearings.

i have now been told it is almost certainly my drive shaft. After reading a few posts here and seeing the cost of a genuine Jaguar drive shaft (over £600) I was directed to these people:

JAGUAR/DAIMLER X-TYPE 2.2 TURBO DIESEL CV JOINT DRIVESHAFT OFF/SIDE 05 ONWARDS | eBay

I have got one here but I'm concerned a little.

1, The shaft leading to the gearbox is much narrower than the one on the car, does the car have a sleeve covering the shaft which will be reusable?

2, The end of the shaft which goes into the gearbox i believe is meant to have a split washer on the end in a cut out grove, just a few mm from the end. This new shaft doesn't have a slot in the end for any washer to sit. What does that split washer ring do? and as this new shaft doesn't have one, does it matter?

3, Have they sent me the wrong drive shaft?

I did think the price was a bit too cheap, worth a shot i thought but not sure whether to fit it now. Would I be better off picking up a 2nd hand one from a breakers?

Any advice appreciated.

Last edited by PMKimpton; 09-29-2016 at 03:26 PM.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UPDATE

Drive shaft fitted, like a glove.

1, The shaft is narrower, but is solid steal, the original was larger but hollow.
2, The shaft on the car DIDN'T have a ring on the end
3, It was the correct shaft

Considering it was only £35 compared to the £600+ Jaguars wanted, even if it only lasts 40k miles it is still a great saving but I expect it to last just as long as the original.

NB, Changing the shaft didn't solve my problems so I will just keep my old shaft should I need to put it back in the future.