X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new to me '03 X-Type 2.5 manual

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 05:38 AM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
Default new to me '03 X-Type 2.5 manual

This becomes kitty number two in the fleet...the first being an '03 XK8 coupe that I essentially inherited when dad passed last fall.

It is a base model and I am owner number 3...the first owner appears to have had it until roughly a year ago, then it went on the market and sold before I had a chance to drive down and take a look at it last summer. The fact that it was a manual was the ONLY reason it was on my radar. Damned if it didn't reappear a few weeks ago after owner #2 traded it against another make.

Went and drove it Saturday, confirmed some things with my service writer and then did more poking and prodding Saturday night without a sales weasel looking over my shoulder and took it out for a second drive. It was close to closing time at the dealership but they were willing to discuss numbers...I had one in mind that I could live with but low-balled it by several hundred and was quite surprised when, after the sales guy excused himself to go get a cup of coffee/water/whatever, err I mean talk to the manager, they came back and said ok without even countering. Frustrating thing about that is it tells me I could probably have offered less than $4K and been good. Oh well...

It is silver with the charcoal interior and a tick under 100K miles. Has a few cosmetic issues (front spoiler has curb rash, headliner suffers from the typical Texas sagging and the driver's seat has some rash on the bolster). I also know the motors in the seat are likely stripped gears but it at least moves forward and back. Oh, and it only had one key, although admittedly, since I am the only driver of it, one key is enough for me for the time being. It has all of the original manuals and even a few receipts from the original owner who had leased it before buying it after the first two years of leasing.

With dad having previously had a multi-winner S-Type for national best-in-class (six years in a row), I was able to nitpick more than most prospective customers probably would have done...this one won't ever be a best-in-class but it should serve my daily-driver mileage shifting for a while.

There are some options I would have liked to have, but as scarce as the manual tranny is on the market around here, I elected not to be picky. Already looking at the possibility of retrofitting power passenger seat and heated seats. Not sure if I want to worry about retrofitting trip computer since it is more of a novelty in my opinion...I have it on the XK8.

With the deal I got on it, I took the chance of purchasing without having my local guy take a look at it...I have had enough experience with vehicles through the year that I can pretty much gauge powertrain off the drives and the engine and clutch felt good.

Even though the deal was done on Saturday night, I did not actually pick it up until last night...pouring rain on the way home and it felt rock solid, including a very rapid stop when a traffic light changed.

This brings me back to four vehicles, the other two being a '91 Miata SE that is essentially stock save for the addition of the BBS wheels from a '92 black and tan and then I also have an '05 Grand Marquis LSE (the five seat version with the center console and moonroof and sport package). I tend to go for unique even though I know that it can limit resale if I ever went to sell any of them. I missed having a four-door sedan with a manual transmission...originally I had thought the LSE would be a reasonable compromise but no such luck...still a decent car but...well, a driving purist can sympathize.

The thing that had me laughing yesterday when I tried pricing a few of the aftermarket warranties was that even a one-year warranty was quoting out for more than I paid for this one. I believe I can pass LOL!

I am undecided about whether I want to keep the stock wheels...in amongst the extras that dad had acquired are another set of 16" wheels that I believe were from an S-type and came out of a storage sale. One has ugly rash but could be refinished. They also have Potenzas with decent tread left on them.

Headliner and seat repair will likely be done by the same shop in Spring that did the headliner for me in the XK8...I actually liked the replacement work they did on that one better than the OEM headliner. Just seemed more plush and the price was right (less than $400 and done inside of two days after I dropped it off).

Hopefully I won't have to post about issues frequently...although as I poke around here, this board strikes me as the X-Type equivalent to what I have with the Miata board and also what I had when I had my F-350 PowerStroke (totaled last June in a roll-over after I loaned it out).

Old 02-11-2014, 05:58 AM
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

1.mechanical problems
2.cosmetic problems
3. mods/upgrades

Old 02-11-2014, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 164 Posts

The X is a great all rounder compact saloon ( sedan ) . Things that go wrong can easily be diagnosed & repairs are not too expensive ( Unless you go to an actual UK Jag dealer) but you wont have that problem . Best thing with a 2.5 manual ?? 4x4 & great fun !!

Old 02-17-2014, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts

Congratulations Mbelanger,

Sorry to hear the news of your Father sadly passing too!

I hope things are a little more settled for you and the family now?

I actually didn't know there was a base 2.5 AWD X~Type, the SE, the Sport and the XS and the Sovereign, but you've got a great car!! and Good Luck!

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...stions-110908/

Above is a link to a selection of posts I put together and many members made it very helpful, and I hasten to add that the real hard work and advice is not mine, I hope it helps you on your mission?

Happy days to you and your Jaguar Fleet! aha one day >>>>> Stu

Last edited by Stuart Beattie; 02-17-2014 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Shpelling oops!
Old 02-18-2014, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Stuart Beattie

Sorry to hear the news of your Father sadly passing too!

I hope things are a little more settled for you and the family now?
thnx and yes, especially now that probate is finally done.

I actually didn't know there was a base 2.5 AWD X~Type, the SE, the Sport and the XS and the Sovereign, but you've got a great car!! and Good Luck!
I couldn't have told you a specific trim level other than to know it wasn't a sport...I used base to basically infer the lack of significant content (ie. heated seats, trip computer, moonroof, power passenger seat, etc).

Took it on a quick ~500 mile jaunt yesterday and had no issues that popped up. It also marked the first drive where I knew I had a completely full tank before the trip so I could accurately guage MPG...the selling dealership had said they filled the tank, but...one never knows. Anyhow, it pulled close to 26MPG running between 75-80MPG most of the way, which is a number I can live with. It also displayed good 'get up and go' when I needed to pass someone on two-lane roads that I had for part of the drive...

Oh, and no tickets

Old 02-18-2014, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member

Sounds as if you are very happy!

I think other members would agree that you don't want to put the foot down too often as the transfer case is well discussed as the weak link, I take it easy as I just love the sheer pull of the 2.5 when I have been level with steady traffic for a few hundred yards from standing start, I don't need to accelerate just a steady footing and above 2,000 rpm she just glides away, yes, it's a Jaaaaaaag!

I like the 500mile test run, you are obviously enjoying it and that's the bast way to learn, get closer and feel the car.

Enjoy!! Stu

The following users liked this post:
Five Speed (02-18-2014)
Old 02-19-2014, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Stuart Beattie
Sounds as if you are very happy!
so far

I think other members would agree that you don't want to put the foot down too often as the transfer case is well discussed as the weak link, I take it easy as I just love the sheer pull of the 2.5 when I have been level with steady traffic for a few hundred yards from standing start, I don't need to accelerate just a steady footing and above 2,000 rpm she just glides away, yes, it's a Jaaaaaaag!
concur with the lack of standing romp but definitely shows its prowess in a downshifted 60MPH to 90MPH for a pass on a two-lane road.

I like the 500mile test run, you are obviously enjoying it and that's the bast way to learn, get closer and feel the car.
amazing how quick muscle memory sets in though...got in the XK8 yesterday and the left foot went to try and find a clutch pedal before I turned the key LOL!

I know...rough life having the options to choose between rowing gears in the X-Type versus just getting in and being lazy with the XK8. Mom asked last night which I liked better and all I could say was they each have their own appeal...

Old 02-19-2014, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member

Hey hey, I like that,

Mbelanger apart from the price difference, I think I agree but I havent driven the XK8, a mate of mine had one and promised me a test drive a while back but the drive was a no-go, we met socially and weren't too sober to take the conversaton further so he then sold her and I lost out but ... Lovely car and great choice, btw, did you read the X~Type links I posted "looking to buy X Type"?
Happy days, Stu