X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New owner question

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 10:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner question

I just bought a 2002 x-type, 2.5, 5spd. Actually, wife bought it, but I get it since it's a stick .

A couple questions. First, what should I be looking for as far as problem areas? I've heard that Jags do a lot of shop time, and would like to spot problems before they get really expensive. I'm a pretty good amature mechanic and am used to repairing/solving problems myself.

Second, I want to change oil immediately. Is it really neccessary to replace the oil plug at each change??? Also, what's a good oil for thisw beast?

Thanks,
Bill

Old 08-03-2011, 11:55 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by billrata
I just bought a 2002 x-type, 2.5, 5spd. Actually, wife bought it, but I get it since it's a stick .

A couple questions. First, what should I be looking for as far as problem areas? I've heard that Jags do a lot of shop time, and would like to spot problems before they get really expensive. I'm a pretty good amature mechanic and am used to repairing/solving problems myself.

Second, I want to change oil immediately. Is it really neccessary to replace the oil plug at each change??? Also, what's a good oil for thisw beast?

Thanks,
Bill
Start by replacing all the major fluids - engine oil, transmission, transfer case, power steering, brake. Then clean the AC and fuel line (my jag dealer offers those).

I bought my x type new in Aug 2006. I do the regular maintenance stuff and touch wood I've had no major problems of any kind.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:31 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,824 Likes on 3,143 Posts

Bill, when it comes to problems with the X-TYpe, they are normally fairly easy things. The common ones are vacuum issues (normally the brake line booster line, IMT valve o-ring, or PCV valve hose), battery voltage issues (cables or battery, hardly ever the alternator), and then the infamous transfer case (when she starts to go, not much you can do, but, drive it sensibly, it will last forever, you abuse the kitty, it will cost you $3000 to replace).

As for the oil change, I haven't replaced the drain plug yet at 130K miles. Just look it over and if the rubber seal on the end starts to go, get a new rubber gasket for on it. Just don't torque it down super tight as you can pull the threads out of the pan which then can be an expensive fix.

As for oil, this is a sensitive topic here. Some swear by full synthetics, some say nothing but dino oil. Stick with a brand name 5W-30 oil and call it good. Whether you use full synthetic, full dino, or a mix, that is up to you and what you think as the best option is. We have not seen any significant gains from full synthetics and normally the gains are something along the lines of "I feel that the car runs better, but the mileage was the same".

Old 08-03-2011, 05:14 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had mine a few months, it growled when I bought it so I knew a new rear hub was needed, no problem, under 300 bucks and it's better.

The only other issue I have is some iffy wiring going to the sensor on the throttle body. It was obviously replaced at one time and the wires were just elec taped together. This was causing the car to go into limp mode occasionally. I took off the tape, cleaned the wires and installed wire nuts, then tape.

I read here that they should be soldered together, but taking the time to do that cuts into my time of purring around town.

Other than that, no issues. I have a friend that thinks that, because it's a Jag, it should be fast and wants to race. I told her to put 3 grand in my bank first to cover the cost of the transfer case if I were to blow it. Nope, never gonna do that race.

I like to have some fun with her, don't get me wrong, but I treat her like any of the house cats we have: I don't kick them cuz I don't want to get bit.

Enjoy!

Old 08-04-2011, 08:19 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

The other thing that seems to happen a lot is wear to rear suspension bushings. The rear wheels go out of alignment and will begin to wear.
Next time you have a four-wheel alignment the alignment-dude may tell you that he can't bring it into the correct range.

Dealer fix is ~$300 I think
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

Old 08-05-2011, 05:17 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So far mine has been good to me. Its an 03 2.5L auto trans. Thanks to the good people on this forum, am in far away Ghana but am able to diagnosis any small problem that I encounter. So feel free to let everyone know if u have any issue and am sure we will all come on board to help because u always belong to the jag family once u own one. Enjoy the ride