X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New poster needs help

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 06:16 PM
Received 64 Likes on 29 Posts
Default New poster needs help

Had to change the right front half shaft/ cv shaft on my X-Type 2.5L Auto trans. When i tried to knock out the shaft the extension shaft popped out of the tranny/ Transfer case. About a quart of reddish fluid spilled onto the driveway. I separated the c/v from the extension and replaced it in the trans. new c/v is in place and the suspension all back together. Now my questions are; What came out? Transmission fluid? Transfer case fluid? The how do I replenish it? I have the JTIS disc and I think the info on it is darn near useless sometimes!!Surely someone on this forum has made this repair and can shed some light on what to do. And as an observation, would putting in a dipstick like every other auto manufacturer in the entire world be too much to ask?

Old 06-20-2011, 08:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  19.3 KB

Hey buddy, please check out the X type quick FAQ link thread in the meantime, can't do any harm as I'm sure there's posts in there about it.

Some of the real tech minded DIYer's from the X type section will no doubt be along before you read too much to help and advise

Old 07-13-2011, 06:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just replaced the CV axles on my '05 X-Type (automatic transmission), and, yup, I lost about a quart of red fluid as well. I'm quite sure it is transmission fluid. I bought a quart of official Jaguar transmission fluid from the dealer for about $33 and put it in (the fill plug is UNDER the battery, so you need to remove the battery and battery holder to get to it). The transmission is a "sealed system", which means us mere mortals should never have to touch it. For a sealed system, I would have expected a secure plug on the top of the transmission, but it was a simple rubber plug that you can remove by hand!?!

Old 07-13-2011, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by lunatic_fringe
Had to change the right front half shaft/ cv shaft on my X-Type 2.5L Auto trans. When i tried to knock out the shaft the extension shaft popped out of the tranny/ Transfer case. About a quart of reddish fluid spilled onto the driveway. I separated the c/v from the extension and replaced it in the trans. new c/v is in place and the suspension all back together. Now my questions are; What came out? Transmission fluid? Transfer case fluid? The how do I replenish it? I have the JTIS disc and I think the info on it is darn near useless sometimes!!Surely someone on this forum has made this repair and can shed some light on what to do. And as an observation, would putting in a dipstick like every other auto manufacturer in the entire world be too much to ask?
PK is right, you lost tranny fluid, the fact you didn't know about the sealed for life transmission leads me to know you didn't research too much into the X type prior to getting it....right?

So you now need to know 2 things. Sealed for life is crap, you now need to do a search on changing tranny fluids, there is a thread in the FAQ too, also the TC is sealed for life, and thats crap as well. Again search is your friend. When you do the gear oil in the TC do the rear dif.

I see you restored a bug eye, I had a 60 sprite. You should be handy then none of these are all day jobs, but the crap that will come out of the tranny on yours shouldn't be too bad since you actually saw red in it, most of them are black.

The following users liked this post:
pkjag (07-14-2011)